Haven't Received Any Work Yet. Why?

I became commissioned in Feb and a certified Signing Agent with NNA in May but have yet to receive a single offer. I’m averaging 5 appointments a week of GNW via Google but that’s obviously not enough work for anyone to pay for gas let alone cost of living. I have $100k E&O, dual tray printer, mobile scanner, etc but have never been contacted for a signing. What am I doing wrong? I’ve already invested so much money into training, supplies, website and a few membership fees but haven’t gotten any return.

4 Likes

Nothing. It’s just you’re new and they’ll go with people they’ve used before, but, eventually, they’ll get used to seeing your name and their usual nsa will be busy and your turn will come. As someone recently said, this gig isn’t a sprint, it’s a journey…and you just started.

22 Likes

The effort to initiate a business in this business sector isn’t a sprint.

It’s a marathon! Slow & steady; even if you’re super motivated . . .

10 Likes

You’re getting 5 GNW per week through Google. I’m new at notary and have not learned how to get business through Google. Can you give me a primer so I can try it out? I’m devoting most of my marketing efforts to GNW these days.

1 Like

It’s pretty simple to list your business on Google. business.google.com There are a few verification steps you have to go through before you’re listed. How much you are able to spend on advertising is up to you of course and will have an impact on how easily you are found. Once you are listed with them make sure you answer EVERY phone call you get because so far 90% of my appointments come from inbound calls.

9 Likes

Are you signed up with signing companies? There are so many signing companies that can get you busy right away! Make sure you are on signing order and notary resume. If you want a loan signing asap contact NotaryGO. They are really good about getting you your first signing!

8 Likes

Also, Megan, you’ll likely benefit by researching the threads at the following link: Search results for 'newbie' - Notary Cafe Forums

and you may find this one helpful as well:

9 Likes

Of course I have signed up with a bunch of Signing Services. This is my issue. I have already spent so much money and haven’t received a single opportunity with any of the signing services. I refuse to pay for a membership that has no guarantee to pay me a dime.

3 Likes

I think I misunderstood, so you have paid for some but just not getting any signings. Have you worked on a marketing plan and strategy? That is something I’m working on. Having things on paper or in a tracking sheet of everywhere you are applying with notes of dates when you follow up. I’d follow up to make sure you’re listed and even request information on if they cover your area, if it’s busy, recommendation for getting busy. I’d work on follow up for sure. I’d contact them and let them know you’ve been listed/signed up for this many weeks/months and seek advice on how to get a booking with them. No shame in asking if they have high volume of signings in your county. If you sign up with local signings let them know you’re local and looking forward to connecting.

3 Likes

Irinia I would like to apologize for starting my reply to you like that. Thank you for your responses and information shared. My frustration is obviously not with you but with the amount of work I’ve have put forth but received no return from. My average GNW appointments are $60 and they take a mere 15 minutes. The fact that a bunch of new people are coming into this and allowing companies to pay them under a hundred for NSA work is insane. I know my value and I understand my expenses; therefore I refuse to take any offer below a hundred.

As you stated in your previous post, I too have signed up for the extra promo/ad options thinking it would be worth it but it isn’t. I’m realizing I am in such a saturated area that I can’t compete with those that already have orders on file with Notary Cafe, SnapDocs, Rotary, 123, Etc. I have even been declined listings with multiple companies because they have too many agents for my area. That includes Field Inspection opportunities as well. I may be new to this but I am not new to business.

Majority of my frustration is coming from the Facebook NSA/Notary Groups. I see so many “newbies” posting questions and pictures of forms that they don’t understand how to fill out. It’s insane because they are usually basic notary acknowledgements. They have yet to understand basic notary tasks and yet they are getting NSA work but I am not.

End rant.

8 Likes

Thank you for this. This is exactly what I needed. I didn’t come into this expecting to make even 2k in the first month but I anticipated at least one signing opportunity.

3 Likes

Create a Google business account and link it to your website if you have one. There are videos on YouTube. Best wishes.

3 Likes

I’m on it. Should be done by Tuesday :grinning:

1 Like

Have you sign up for SNAPDOCS? I did that my first day certified through SNAPDOCS and I get order right away. After 2 months, I get into direct with title companies. Did you try to sign up on all signing services? Try to do that. What state and city are you in?

3 Likes

The best advice given. I’m learning this myself starting in September of last year. Now Is a time where I’m actually picking up momentum…But he has slow and steady is the mentality for this business

3 Likes

This is true for any business no matter what it is.

1 Like

I use a spreadsheet too for keeping track of follow ups but really everything. Spreadsheets keep everything simple and organized.

I have been a Signing Agent off but mostly on for almost 24 years and before there were all of these signing companies taking a cut of our fee. The one thing that has not changed over the years is that in order to get regular business you have to be both patient, persistent and maintain high quality work when you do get an order.
I don’t know where you are located but this is what I recommend.

1. You need to determine how much work is in the area you are in and/or cover and more importantly is that area saturated with a lot of Signing Agents. I would do this by first finding a local Signing Company and calling and asking.

2. If you are fearless I would find a couple of escrow staff (note I didn’t say Escrow Officers) and ask if they outsource signings and if so what platform(s) do they use. I say this because it is really hard as a newbie for an Escrow Officer to hand over his/her files. You will make mistakes as you learn and it’s best not to burn a bridge with an Escrow Officer at the beginning of your career.

3. You have to keep trying to get chosen for an order. Sometimes it will take you doing the signing no one else wants…on a holiday, before the sun is up, late night, last minute etc.

4. Your very first signing you MUST go above and beyond and triple check your docs for errors. Try your very very best to not miss a signature, initial etc.

5. As a newbie do NOT get discouraged and do NOT undervalue your services. Meaning don’t be afraid to negotiate fees. These companies use newbies to pay $50, $75 or $90 for a full package, printing, scanbacks etc. If you try to negotiate appear confident in yourself and clear that you are not looking to pay for the signing. Your start up costs, ongoing toner, paper, equipment maintenance, phone, internet etc. MUST always be factored in BUT if you get your first signing attempt a small uptick in the fee to see if there is resistance. If there is and you really feel like this may jump start you…you play it off and act like you will do them a favor but cutting your fee this time. There are some companies who are low ball and would rather hang up and keep calling until someone accepts the $75. This entire strategy is to give the impression you are seasoned.

6. Again patience. Everytime I took a break from signings over the years I always had to rebuild business when I came back. All those programs and products out there give the impression you will get work just because you have a certificate. This is not the case and a flyer or basic marketing is not how you will get a keep ongoing business. You have to endure this slow start up, perfect your work and more importantly build relationships through your work.

Good luck!

10 Likes

Hello, it took me a month or so before I landed my first assignment. I was commissioned in FL in Feb. & did the NNA Loan Signing Agent training. I faced some of the same challenges. I got my first signing in April. I used March to take advantage of the training & videos online. I would receive texts daily & click on them only to be informed the assignment had already been assigned. Don’t give up or get discouraged, you will get your first assignment. Just be ready, so you don’t have to get ready. My first two assignments were last minute rescheduled. Other notaries had them but, for whatever reason, they could not do them. Things picked up after about 5-10 signing. For me, the process was slow starting but, now starting. I wish you much success.

2 Likes

Absolutely accurate from start-to-finish. :white_check_mark::sparkles::sunglasses: Your knowledge, experience, and insights mirror what I’ve seen & experienced over the years.

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable knowledge with newbies on the Notary Cafe forum. :pray::angel::yellow_heart:

1 Like