Haven't Received Any Work Yet. Why?

I’ve been at it for a month, and just did my 9th signing. I do get passed over a lot; I’m sure many are just first come/first served, and I acknowledged just as someone else was getting assigned. Also, there are some where, I acknowledge I’ll do it, the offer stays unassigned for an hour or even is REOFFERED FOR MORE MONEY, then gets assigned. So I’m guessing I was passed over for lack of experience.

However, since I live about 25 miles from Seattle, toward the boonies/mountains, all of the offers I get assigned are as far away or further. My takeaway: my location limits my opportunities, but also limits who will take the few more distant opportunities, and so is kind of a weird competitive edge for me.

Snapdocs will let you set your address wherever you want. You might consider setting it toward an edge of your town where perhaps there aren’t as many notaries who will take the job, and see what happens.

Also: rumor has it Snapdocs boosts our rating in their internal algorithm once we hit 20 signings, so my plan is to take almost any lowball offer to get that 20. There are limits; I was offered $45 30 miles away, and that pencils out to less than flipping burgers money, so no go. But I do take $75, $70, even $65 for a 12-page sale signing that was 5 minutes from my house. So I temper my expectations in favor of building initial experience. I consider it like getting a paid internship for now.

1 Like

Doubt it. Been doing this for over 1/4 century and see lowballs E V E R Y day. Think you are on to something, tho’, with: my location limits my opportunities, but also limits who will take the few more distant opportunities, and so is kind of a weird competitive edge for me.

1 Like

I’m surprised you’ve heard anything from notary dash. I signed up with them a month and half ago and have never heard anything or gotten any alerts. Any time I’ve emailed them, I’ve never gotten a response at info@notarydash.com. I assumed they went out of business. They don’t even have a phone number on their website that you can call.

I don’t think that would ward off the lowballs, per se. They are still out there, and if you’re highly rated algorithmically, you probably see ALL of them available. What it could do is also get you to see the better offers before they are taken.

Mark Wills did a video on youtube where he visited Snapdocs, and sat down with a program manager to discuss how the system works. Generally, they send out the offer to 1 notary at a time, at a time interval specified by the signing/title company making the offer. If the interval is every 5 minutes, you have a great chance to get it. If it is every 3 seconds, by the time you read the offer it may have been responded to by 2 or 3 other notaries. Having a higher rank gets you in front, with a better chance to snap it up.

1 Like

Hi sorry very newbie to all this what exactly is snapdocs thank you :blush:

123 notary has a list of signing companies
Start registering. Then follow up
u think you’re worth $100 minimum?
What type of signing?
No experience? Saturated area…?
Re fi 80-225 out here
Heloc 65-175
Depends on distance… scan back …size of package

2 Likes

Be aware - the list of companies on 123 is old (last time I looked) and most of the are out of business

Might be true, but the downside of a ‘supposedly’ high rank is I repeatedly get more low junk offers as they move thru the farther away notaries at the same low offer (which I assume they also counter). It can take 1/2 dozen identical ‘counters’ on my part before they finally accept my counter. It’s annoying and time-consuming for me AND hiring party.

1 Like

Snapdocs.com is a site that connects notaries and companies that need to hire them. I get most of my offers through them. You can register all of your credentials with them (notary license, bond, E&O, NNA cert., etc) and then they will start sending you texts on your phone of available signings, with a $$ amount and general location/time. Of course, the good ones get snapped up right away, but eventually you can get some signings and start making money. (standard caveats apply; look around for the “Temper your expectations” thread and take it to heart).

Definitely recommended. Most of my signings (9 in the 5 weeks I’ve been doing this, so still quite the newbie here) have been through snapdocs.

There are others too which you should sign up for. Don’t do ANY that ask for money at this point, until you’ve really researched it. There are a bunch of sites that just want to collect fees from notaries, and don’t send any business.

1 Like

I’m surprised. Maybe it depends on where your located. I’m in NW Ga.

probably a few things: with COVID, people out of work, looking for a new gig, there are a lot of new notaries (for example, me! 1st signing May 25th). Also, the real estate market has a very low number of homes for sale, so the number of purchase and sale signings are down. On the other hand, the low interest rates should be pumping up the refis, and hopefully as COVID winds down real estate volume will rise.

It wouldn’t surprise if the reduced signings vs. notaries available has pushed down rates, and that the more experienced notaries who previously “wouldn’t start their car for less than $100” are now dipping into the pool of $75-$85 signings, further reducing what is available for us newbies. They might even have to be taking more signings than previously, in order to hit their target income.

(my 2 cents of speculation; probably not worth even that).

2 Likes

I don’t think so…

2 Likes

Absolutely correct, Arichter, not happening here.

Good to hear. As an experienced notary, how many signings do you typically do in a week? Would you share your average/typical/minimum fee?

Thank you for the information I have not had one assignment yet.

I became a Signing Agent May 28th in Florida. I have done over 25 signings now as a Signing Agent and I am getting orders daily, so my question to you is What are you doing? Are you just sitting at your desk waiting or have you google the different signing agent platforms and joined as many as you can? (there are a lot of them out there that are free so DO NOT PAY for a service to send you orders) If you want the work then you have to get on it and make connections. Join Facebook groups geared toward Signing Agents. If you want the business then you work for it.

I’ve done one job for Notary Dash and haven’t been paid after 6 weeks. It was what I call a 'righteous signing", too. I believe Notary Dash is in trouble from what I’ve been able to gather online. My advice: steer clear.

Regarding all y’all not having ‘received’ any work [as newbies]. . . First off, I am considered a newbie as I have only been a notary for about 5 months. I’m in a HIGHLY saturated area and I’ve experienced all the same frustrations that many of you have expressed on this site. But, I finally stopped waiting for calls and got off my rear-end and got busy. Now I’m getting lots of work and I’m very happy.

So, what does getting busy look like? For starters, there’s the obvious stuff:

1. Having really cool business cards (pleeeeze don’t look like your typical real estate agent - do something DIFFERENT and avoid being cutesy. This is NOT easy but it is so important);
  2. Have a compelling brochure (mine is clear, concise and to-the-point while looking good in the process);
  3. Have a marvelous give-away (the gift I use is AWESOME and ALWAYS gets a warm response - ALWAYS);
  4. Have an impeccable personal appearance (this is a MUST);
  5. Maintain a professional bearing; and,
  6. Most of all. . . BE MEMORABLE! I genuinely believe BEING MEMORABLE is the most important attribute one can have in sales and marketing. I’m fortunate that my last name and my vehicle make me memorable. Everybody knows me. Everybody should know you, too, so find something that makes YOU memorable. However this can be a dangerous thing if you’re not very careful to avoid offending someone (in today’s politically correct environment). Get an unbiased critique on whatever you would like to go with.

I’d love to hear your ideas about being memorable, if you’re willing to share.

Look, I know you’ve heard/read this all before. But, take it from an older warrior, good basic hard work like I’ve outlined above always works. It’s your ‘secret sauce’ that will make them come to you. I have my secret sauce - you must develop and nurture yours. Here’s some additional thoughts to help you think it through:

I own a productivity management company and one of the critical elements of my program is to study the “unknowns” in my client’s business enterprise. Here’s how I discover the “unknowns”:
What is it that you do that you’re the absolute best at?
Consider that:
You offer a product / service you didn’t invent. . .
You use a formula you didn’t invent. . .
You use a delivery method you didn’t invent. . .
Have you truly branded your concept?
Have you identified and/or isolated a market segment?
What do you do that creates a unique user experience?
Why would an investment bank put serious money into the business?
Do you want to go to the health club, the hospital or the morgue as a businessperson?
Tough questions, all, but surely worth asking as you build your notary business. I’m hopeful these few insights from a newbie help move you other newbies along to greater prosperity in your new notary business.

5 Likes

Great post, @Bobby-CA…kudos.

1 Like

Can you explain how those 6 things you listed lead to more work? Those things, while important, are mostly directed to the signer and the signer doesn’t determine if you get more loan signings. I’m just curious. At this point, for me, the signing services are fairly annoying. Inconsistent, scan backs are just dumb, sporadic, they expect perfection from you while guaranteeing nothing in return, pay takes up to 30 days even though they get paid at close (lol), and if you don’t answer their text blast in .0035 seconds, you miss it (ridiculous). Going direct sounds nice in theory, but out of 30 local title companies I spoke to only 1 had a job for me. 1 whole job in August sometime. Great… General notary work is also sporadic and inconsistent.

So far, I’ve got my google business, yelp, business cards, and fliers. Every signer and client gets one. I’ve dropped off materials at nursing homes, my barber shop, etc. I get 1-3 general notary signings a week. I usually make enough for gas.

I’m so confused. This isn’t good enough for a full time job. It’s not good enough to be a nice, lucrative full time job, let alone one skirting the edge of poverty. And it doesn’t work as a part-time job because if you’re actually working, you won’t be able to answer those signing service text blasts in the .00000238 second window they give you. Also, most jobs for me are during business hours in the work week. I’ve only had 3 in the last 2 months after 6pm. So how exactly would one be able to work, get off at 5:30pm and make any memorable amount of money from this off of 3 jobs in 2 months? Just interesting.

7 Likes