How Long Before You are Aware of Mistakes?

Hi all, I am new, and I mean, two assignments so far.
So far just using Snapdocs. How do I know if I completed a signing successfully or if I made any mistakes? I can’t sleep wondering if I caused anyone’s loan or refi to be delayed. On Snapdocs my first Assignment from 4 days ago said CLOSED yesterday. My one-page assignment yesterday, arrived at 10 am this morning, not showing closed. How long, generally, do they let you know. And how? Call to redue? Email? Text?

Hi I am sure if you there was an error they would call or email when they received the docs by courier or when they viewed the scanbacks if you had to do scanbacks. I’ve only had one error. I forgot to put my seal on the deed. I was mortified. I had prefilled info in blue ink and when I got to signers they were adamant about using black pens they had with this COVID-19 issue. I didn’t blame them. So when I got home I was so consumed with tracing over my blue pen with a black gel pen that I forget my seal on the deed. No one caught it during scanbacks on Friday, the signing service not even the Title company. I tripled checked and still missed it, the end of last month was crazy. When she received the docs by courier Monday she saw it and sent an email. They said they needed to overnight them to me and I opted to drive to them (an hour away) since it was my error. All was fixed.

Take a deep breath…you are human we all make a mistake even the best of us whether we want to admit it or not. You just have to learn from it.

3 Likes

Wow, thanks for sharing (the blue ink/black ink) I appreciate the response and encouragement.
They both had scafbacks and shipped by noon next day. It took 24 hours after they received the first one to mark it CLOSED, which means it’s done correctly from what I read in Snapdocs “Status” guide. I guess I expected a comment in Snapdocs immediately after scanning telling me it was good to ship or to hold off, or go back and fix something. Still figuring it all out. Thanks for sharing and the advice :smile:

1 Like

Just wondering why did you retrace in “black ink” vs just leaving it in blue?

Sure, ink colors have to be consistent. So whichever they specify or you choose has to be used throughout.

Not necessarily - lender rules/regulations apply to signing and dating of loan docs; however there are some states that regulate the color of ink to be used in the notarial certificate - I forget which ones they are but there are a couple states that mandate certs be completed in black ink. That’s the rule you follow - and to trace over? I’m surprised they accepted that.

Also, as to this “When she received the docs by courier Monday she saw it and sent an email. They said they needed to overnight them to me and I opted to drive to them (an hour away) since it was my error. All was fixed.”

Not sure where you’re located, but changes to the notarial cert after the fact are prohibited in some states where, in a case like this you’d have to go back and notarize in front of the signer. Again, you must follow your notary laws to the “T”.

I traced over in a gel pen. So it didn’t look like I traced over it at all. That’s why my attention was so laser focused on looking like it was original. I knew exactly what I was doing…lol It looked as if I had used a sharpie pen or felt tip pen so there was no way to know it was traced or any way to see the blue. I literally was doing artistry. It took a minute but I wasn’t missing out on my $200 it was only 28 sheets so it could have been a lot worse. The title company had no idea until I told her and she still couldn’t tell.

On a refi you will know the loan is closed within 5 business days. If they don’t contact during that time the title company/loan officer has accepted all the documents that were sent to them and the loan has funded.

Thank you Thomas. Do you know if it is common practice to ALWAYS let you know of an error so you don’t repeat it? Do they ever NOT tell you and move on to another Notary to correct something or do they always have the same Notary go out to correct?

They will tell you if the error requires a resign or a correction on your part. If it is something that can be fixed with the Correction affidavit, they probably won’t.

I would never trace over print to change the color of the ink. That could be considered intent to commit fraud, an attempt on your part to change information in the documents after they had been signed.

Carry a box of brand new blue ink pens with you. Offer the box to the borrowers and let them remove one each for signing. Tell them those pens are now their very own to keep. But insist that the lender requires blue ink, so that staff can easily differentiate between a copy and the original.

Be firm. You are paid to run the signing, not to let the borrowers (who have not seen the pages of instructions you have read, nor received your training) do so.

2 Likes

I would have left the blue ink. Chances are nobody would say anything. They are more concerned that the documents are signed and notarized correctly than about the color of ink.

1 Like

They had already told me it had to be in one ink color before from the beginning. I had filled in my commission expiration date and printed my name to minimize the time. Only to have to rewrite it. Didn’t save time on that one at all…lol

1 Like

Ideally, yes…but there have been cases when I’ve had mixed color ink on documents (both black and blue) and there wasn’t a problem. Sometimes you can’t watch signers every second of the way and they use the wrong color pen by mistake…even after you’ve told them what color you need. It’s really up to the lender how picky they want to be. After all, they want to get their commission too, and probably won’t hold up closing for a re-sign for something like ink color when it could conceivably muck up their whole deal.