How to Impress Signers

I impress signers by tabbing my documents and having the package put together prior to the signing. Having signers and their reps saying “You are really organized” gives them a ton of confidence before the documents are presented. Knowing what the documents is saying confirms your knowledge. What do you do to impress signers? Is it important to you? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

6 Likes

I also have everything organized, though I never tab. I put the 3-4 critical docs in the front then move them back in place when I double check at the table.

There is one small thing I do that gets the most compliments every time. They all say, “Wow, this is obviously not your first signing.” Cracks me up. I simply write the date on an index card and place it on a cheap business card holder in front of them. That’s it. And they all LOVE it. Seriously. :woman_shrugging:t3:

9 Likes

I don’t really understand how what you do would be impressive when actually you are just wasting your time. And most borrowers know that!

3 Likes

Please elaborate on how it is a waste of time. I am the primary mobile closing agent for all of the signing services and title companies I have done business with. Most of the signers are investors right now and personally give feedback on my performance. I believe anytime you put in more effort you learn more and show you care.

2 Likes

That is a smart idea. It helps to ensure you have everything dated correctly too! :pen:

3 Likes

Straight forward, there are many other things which should have your focus. Docs you need to know, understand. I get my docs correct because I know what they are and how to execute. Many loans later and a diversity of docs I can still execute correctly doesn’t matter what order or how the doc looks or is worded. Pay attention to your car, tires, fluids, etc. You see where I’m going, most title co’s don’t want you to rearrange their docs, and frankly why bother. The organization your talking about doesn’t get the job done - not really-

What I’m getting at is more focus on yourself, hiring company, borrowers - they really appreciate your presentation explaining docs as you go and referencing one doc to another, gives them an overview and and education even if they have done docs 5 times, they can see you know what you are doing and you’ve shown them how the docs work and that they are sure the docs they are signing are correct. Meaning in a quick, streamlined fashion. I always end with how I am proceeding through shipment so they know their information will be handled confidentially. See what I mean here!

I did this the first week of being a notary and realized it is a waste of time and signers do not care TBH. You are doing it for yourself and not them. They just want to be done with the deal. They really dont care that you spent an extra 30 minutes tabbing docs.

5 Likes

I believe these are things that should already be taken care of. I am a professional so I think it goes without saying we need to maintain our tools - cars, laptops, printers, scanners, and more. I think it is also important that we are not learning on the job. That is why closing agents are being offered such low rates. I have many certifications in regards to being a notary and a closing agent. I also am a licensed Title Producer who has completed coursework for my VA Settlement Agent certification which is in addition to my TP license. I have taken CEs in Trusts, POA, Buyers, and Seller packages. That being said I am comfortable with the the paperwork. I consistently work with investors, developers, and brokers during my closings and it may seem like it is a waste of time to most. But if you can stand out as a notary with these individuals by being highly organized you can bet they are going to want you to do business with them again. If they are being asked by the title agency about your professionalism, which they often are they will have positive things to say. If you want to stand out this is a post for doing that. If you think you are the priority in the transaction then I do recommend taking a few more courses. When you are comfortable with the documents it only takes 10 minutes or less to tab them. It also gives you a chance to review them and figure out if things like witnesses are needed or if documents like the CD, ALTA, or HUD 1 were included. I wish you all the luck and if you have any tips on how to IMPRESS SIGNERS please add them to the thread.

6 Likes

It doesn’t take 30 minutes to tab once you know the documents well. Depending on who you are working with being organized puts the signers at ease this help you, the signers, and the title company. Tabbing also ensures that you have reviewed all the documents ahead of time so there are no surprises. If you don’t think tabbing is useful, what is something that you do to set yourself apart at the closing table?

5 Likes

I disagree with tabbing - I think just your professional presentation of the documents says a lot more about you and the company than “tabbing” does. If you know the documents that well, you don’t need tabs

JMO

4 Likes

As I said it’s not all about you. Some people will get it others won’t. What do you do to go above and beyond to stand out?

4 Likes

I don’t do loan signings any more but- you were the one who talked about impressing the signers - there’s no one to be impressed with but the notary at that point. They’ve already formed their opinions about their loan officer, lender, escrow officer, title company, broker and anyone else they’ve crossed paths with in the process. The only thing your tabbing does is (as you believe) impress them with YOU…so it does boil down to being about you. Did it ever occur to you that tabbing may have the opposite result? Borrowers/signers may see that and think the notary needs reminders about where signatures are required? Think about that- and yes, it is about you

As to what I used to do? Know the docs (30 years doing mortgages will help there) and just exude confidence.

3 Likes

Ive tabbed for years. Its part of my review process and it has triggered a missing document, wrong date or mispelled name, etc. All my signers express appreciation for ease of signing and considering COVID, shortening time of presence. This matters in my other health community visit occupation. Tabbing is attention to detail regardless of “knowing where to sign” its just clean organization, attentive and presents another air of professionalism. Im sought out, get my negotiated fees and my continued quota for my side job. In addition i do hear the praises from both clients and title companies. Bottom line, if what you’re doing gets tge results you like - keep on doing. If looking for options for change/improvement- try a change. Dont knock it because its not your fortay. Just sayin’ it really works for me. In Maine, we seem to like the attention to detail and personal praise. Compliments do make smiles and motivate!

6 Likes

Impressive. Full disclosure, I’ve never tabbed a loan in my 24+ year notary career. I have received tabbed loan packages. My favorite is the pre-tabbed reverse mortgage package. When you present the documents, do you hand them one at a time to the signer and then remove the tab when the signer hands it back or just leave the tab for the Title Company to see your work?

2 Likes

If it works for you, great. Tabs are a waste of time, you have to remove them later, borrower can sign over them. Sorry, No to tabs. Pros don’t them.

2 Likes

I do the same with the date and they love it, except I put on the back of my Notary business card and leave it with them.
I get calls from previous signers for GNW to Notarize their wills etc.

5 Likes

What makes you stand out outside of the knowledge we should all be coming with. Anything special you do at your closing table?

Yes, I always present the documents one at a time. It allows the signer not to feel rushed or confused. I put the CD/ HUD1/ALTA in front of them first and then the docs that need to be notarized, when they are filling out any documents with information I begin doing my notarizations and then review the documents as they hand them back. I put the papers together and go through them one last time, which is when I remove the tabs. I noticed that helps to reduce any potential errors. When I am removing the tabs the signers are free to get up from the table and attend to other things. This seems to keep the after closing convos down as well. They know it is the last step and I am planning to leave after. It’s a system that works for me.

3 Likes

I agree. It is a good way to make you review the package. I fell like it shows investment into what you are doing. Yes, hearing the clients, title companies, and signing services offering positive feedback helps motivate me too! :pen:

1 Like