I accidentally stamped over the words "notary public" help!

I accidentally stamped my seal over the word “notary public” where it says title or rank on the executed signature page. This is my 1st loan modification and I’m not sure if that’s an issue or not. I want to know before I scan these back tonight. Help!

Does your state allow you to make corrections after the fact? If so, you can “X” through the seal you’ve done and reapply your seal in a clean area.

3 Likes

or just stamp again in ‘clear’ area

11 Likes

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it!

2 Likes

Always initial it also when you cross out.

9 Likes

I confess I have done a few upside down stamps, so now I check the stamp to be sure its the right direction. Thankfully I haven’t had any issues with crossing out with a line, initialing and redoing in a clear place. I have the habit of initialing with lower case. I feel like its nice and clear that way.

6 Likes

While still at the signing I would immediately replace the page and redo it with the blank Borrower’s, copy which I always print and bring to the signing. If that is not available or you found out later, I see other notary useful suggestions.

6 Likes

The easiest way to fix anything on the documents is to cross out the error initial the mark and redo the work.

3 Likes

Don’t worry. The worst thing that you will have to do, is the Signing Agency will ask you to go back and have that page resigned. Things like these happen. It took me 2hrs to do my first signing and it was with an elderly couple, it was during winter, and they had their Heater up to high and I was sweating, both because it was hot, and I was nervous. After that night, everything is fine. Oh, and I also ran out or ink and paper.

4 Likes

I always print an copy for the signer. This has saved my bacon a few times as i tell them and take the unsigned copy from their package and replace it with the boo boo crossing through the error. Saves a bounce back or return trip.

5 Likes

Stay away from those 25$ loan mods
Print 75 pages and travel cant make anything

3 Likes

It didn’t take long for me to realize that extra copy was worth it! Especially with the distance rural notaries have to travel.

1 Like

Texas doesn’t require a “wet” seal or signature on the Notary Certificate. I usually place my seal electronically by using Adobe. I place my signature “wet” in blue ink that has an ultraviolet component in the ink. If a bad actor attempts to scan my signature to use on another document, the UV component doesn’t scan and can’t be replicated. This particular ink is only available for fountain pens.

Pull out the copy and notarize that one. The “leave a copy with the signer” requirement has saved me on quite a few occasions.

1 Like