Job Offer Arrives During Signing

I am mid-signing when I receive a text. A quick check reveals it’s from a notary service regarding another job this week (snapdocs or signingorder). I need to respond to the text because it hurts my in-app notary ranking to not respond, but I am mid-signing and the professional in me says to ignore it until the signing is done. I hate to lose a future job and hurt my ability to get future jobs but I hate to stop a signing for a non-client-based reason. How do you folks handle this?

1 Like

Phone turned off and ignore all SMS texts during a signing. The only exception is if I am expecting a call or text on a question or a future signing that has already been problematic. I inform the signers that I am expecting a call to troubleshoot a situation that I may have to take and ask their permission. If there is a hint of any discomfort I let it go to voicemail.

3 Likes

Because I really do not know, I’m wondering if by not responding to a text from any signing service, you are, in fact, hurting your notary ranking. After all, everything I have read or heard about taking a call/text/email during a signing, it’s forbidden. Surely the SS know this and should not gig anyone’s ranking for not responding. Enlighten me, everyone, please.

Doesn’t hurt you on signing order.
Snapdocs it lowers your response rate

It defies critical thinking and common sense. Just think about the number of notaries that are in a particular service area, which could be at least 50 miles radius. If only 10% of them are signed up with a SS, and the service is sending out let’s say 10 opportunities an hour, how could they keep up with the volume of responses from every potential notary? Not to mention, I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t want the notary being distracted by a phone call while they are performing work for one of their clients. Then there is the issue of driving and trying to negotiate an opportunity while already distracted by traffic and the time constraints of making it to an assignment on time or getting back in a timely manner to not miss that deadline for closing status or scanning back documents. It’s just not possible to respond to every offer (and still have a life and do quality work); and there are some orders it’s just not worth your time to respond. I think it’s unnecessary worry about issues you can’t fully control. Roll the dice – take your chances.

1 Like

Borrowers deserve 100% your attention, besides, who cares about snapdocs ratings?

I agree and I don’t care about snapdocs ratings, lol. I think you replied to the wrong person.

As long as you go to your text notification you received from snap docs and respond even if it’s hours or days late it will not impact you. That has happened to me a few times while at a signing.

Notifications where you responded as available or unavailable in the last 7 days.

Your rate refers to messages where you responded as available in the last 7 days.

Take control of your signing notifications

1. Respond whenever possible - Even if it takes you a while to respond or you’re “Not available”, it’s helpful to respond with any feedback. While there’s no penalty for not responding, your responses help us learn which opportunities are a better fit. Also, if you leave feedback for the scheduler, they may work with you to find an appointment time or fee that works for everyone.
  2. Remember to set “out of office” or snooze notifications - If you’re busy or on vacation, “Out of office” ensures you won’t be bothered by signing notifications while you’re out.
4 Likes

I appreciate all the answers here, so thank you to everyone. I only check my phone during a signing to see if it’s an emergency and, short of that, I immediately return to the signing. I missed a pair of $250 dollar signings last week and that has just been eating at me as to how I could avoid it happening in the future.

1 Like

As others stated here, I could care less about response rates. The way I see it, someone with a “high response rate” either has enough time to respond (hence not busy) or pulling a “no no” at the table. The last thing a borrower wants to see is you constantly picking up your phone while their money is spread out across the table. Besides, 9 times out of 10 its not your high response rate that gets you the job, it’s the first NSA willing to do the job for what they are offering. Does it look good? Sure! But a high response rate doesn’t equal a “good NSA,” hence why none of these platforms offer NSA reviews on their sites (having a high response rate is not a review of your work). You can respond to every job they send your way, but if you don’t accept the offer, what did it do for YOU?

2 Likes

I answer the call I just say Please excuse me I have to answer this then after the call I again apologize for the interruption and explain the call. Never in over 30 years have I ever had a client complain.

9 Likes

I swear, it’s always the Signing Service I’m serving in a signing that sends a notice during the signing! It’s like it triggers my ranking and it immediately sends…but I can’t respond because I am in the DANG signing!!! :upside_down_face:

I suspect that most of us are NOT getting interruptive calls or emails/texts during our signings these days. I don’t know about y’all, but my phone has gone dead. When I do get a notification, it’s gone before I can open it, which I do instantaneously.

Nevertheless, when it’s busy, I sometimes inform my clients that I’m a pretty good notary and that my services are in high demand; I may get a notification that I need to quickly respond to and I won’t be but a few seconds in so doing. I tell them, that’s how I got THIS assignment (the one I’m on). I make it light and airy and say that this kind of thing frequently happens. I’ve never had anyone express dismay over my actions in this regard. They understand.
And I do try to keep it to a minimum.

Here’s a neat trick :upside_down_face:: set aside the dreaded Statement of Information and give it to the signers when you have to take a call. They’ll be busy completing it and you can be handling the matter instead of just sitting there waiting for them to fill out the form.

3 Likes

I will glance, but won’t pause the signing, unless its a previous matter I’m awaiting response on.

I play it by ear. If we are at the end of the month and I still need to make my minimum goal, and I get a good vibe from the signers, I just ask them. I say “Is it ok if I respond to a text of phone call that is business related as this is the only way I get jobs?” Of the hundred of times I’ve said this they all INSIST I take the call. Again, I only do this if we had a good connection during the initial phone call and once I meet them in person as well. 100% they don’t mind.

If I’m at a spot finically where it isn’t needed to grab every job, or the transaction is out of the norm for me, I put on my DND. This is truly your decision. This is your business and you’re the boss. Do what is right for you as well as for the signers. :slight_smile:

1 Like

One time I forgot to put my phone on DND and my ring tone is Neo “Miss Independent “…lol. Well my phone rang very loudly and I was so embarrassed. I quickly apologized to my signers. As I was getting ready to mute my phone the husband says to me… “wait… let it play… that’s my jam!” Lol…. He then spent the rest of the time humming the song and immediately after went to Apple Music and downloaded it. As I was walking out the door he played it on his speaker phone.

It was hilarious… he and his wife started dancing as I closed the door. :joy::joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

I explain to my signers that I’m expecting a call from a client. If it comes in I’ll have to take a moment to respond. It takes a few seconds to reply to a request and all of my signers have understood. I won’t pickup a call to chat, only to respond via text.

1 Like

The borrower may not complain to you directly, but they “may” call the lender afterwards, which is why I refrain. My voicemail greeting and auto reply on text specifically states I may be “with a client” and will get back to them shortly. If I miss out on the job, then it is what it is, but I’ll take the loss job over a potential bad rep any day.

3 Likes

Know your audience. Or at least guess what they would want. Most people wouldn’t mind you stopping for 30 seconds to look at a text and responding. Explain to them at the beginning of signing that you are expecting a text that you need to check. Or when a text comes in, just tell them it is a title office about another appointment and you need to look at it real quick.

They understand that’s how you get your business. I don’t know how many times I have to pause a signing because signers are we looking at their phones.

2 Likes

All day long. Never a problem with a client.

1 Like