Last Minute Signing Requests

I am a retired mortgage loan officer; I am fairly new at being a mobile notary. My question is; Are ALL loan signing requests last minute??? They all seem to be “tonight, or tomorrow morning”. And when do they expect me to print the package? Ciao!

Mostly, 1 or 2 days before. A rare few have their act together enough that you might get a week’s warning. The really last minute ones (ASAP, 2-3 hours) are usually PROBLEMS (the docs aren’t ready & it’s past the Appt. time & the original notary bailed…which leaves you to hold the bag). Welcome to our world~~

4 Likes

Thank you, and I just got one for tonight!!! $75 about 25 miles from me. I called to counter the fee and the job had been taken. ARGGGGGG.

1 Like

Make that a 50 mile trip. Starting at $1 p/mi, ($50), plus time and services rensered, be thankful someone else took the loss. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Inundated all last week, every day multiple last minute from different companies for different closings. The worst part is LOWBALL fees! Hey, If you have a last minute signing, you’re supposed to offer more not less! LOL!! I just laugh and delete!!

6 Likes

Not all but I had a Last minute one Monday it threw my whole day off being I had to Travel 35 mins and they sent the 91 page packet 1 hour before barley finished printing the 2nd set normally I do an extra copy for errors but didnt even have Time on top of that 30 day wait for payout!

Since First American Direct went onto Snapdocs, it seems as if 2 out of 3 orders are same day. Uh… folks, we cannot print 300 pages (2 copies of a refi package) and drive 30 miles through rush hour traffic in 2 hours. Oh, wait! Let me just pull my blue leotard and red cape out of the laundry…

9 Likes

Honestly, though, for those ridiculously short notice orders I assume the time is simply wishful thinking and confirm reality when I call the borrower.

3 Likes

I had a several last time orders. It could be for different reasons.
1- Previous Notary cancel at last minute, and title co, needs to hire a new notary for rush closing.

2- lenders sometimes review or correct documents at last minute and push the closing previously schedule for an early time, then title co had tu push to the notary for few hours and notary has another closing coming up, and cancel,

3- lenders approved documents and rates are expiring, so they need to close, even though the CD needs to send to borrower at least 3 business day before closing date, but, after reviewing and re approve , then need to close same day.

the bad thing of these that we as a signing agent, are the last person needs to rush to get the closing location and on time. I;m in Miami, and no matter what the travel distance is 10 or 15 miles, you take an hour or more to get to the location. but titles, co. only see the miles and think you need lees than 30 minutes to arrive to the location. WRONG!! Miami traffic, is terrible.

1 Like

The fact that they offer less and not more is a product of the newbie notaries who jump at these jobs and don’t know what their worth is. Pay attention though. You’ll notice that if nobody bites at the low offer, they’ll raise it in increments until someone takes it. If you’re patient, you can end up with some pretty good fees with those kind of offers.

5 Likes

I think signing services are kinda last minute, but if you have a relationship with and escrow office they usually make a week. Also, if a notary cancels for some reason. The best is the end of the month that almost always is a bit crazy stressful.

I don’t do that type of program. NO Snaps for me! I refuse to work for slave wages, to a point that it costs me to do a signing.

4 Likes

I rarely take a very last minute order even though I get the requests all the time. Sometimes the signing service doesn’t even have all the details and it turns out to be a big hassle. No additional fee is offered so why put yourself through the stress?

2 Likes

There is an old adage that says: “Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part”. If they can’t get their act together in a timely manner, don’t encourage them. Stop accepting these last minute requests. When no one accepts, they will be forced to recognize the reality and the absurdity of what they are doing. When we spin circles to accommodate them, we only reinforce their bad behavior and hurt ourselves in the process. I like all of you, need the work. But I refuse to be a slave to incompetence. Stand up for yourselves.

7 Likes

I just got one for 9:30am today, (got it at 9:15am) and the location is 1 1/2 hours from me! seems to happen alot

1 Like

A lot of my signings are last minute stuff. Irritating, but I eventually got used to it and take them as they come now. I also receive signing offers a day or two, even three days ahead. So it’s a mixed bag.

3 Likes

It’s Karma time… I ask for a lot more than usual

2 Likes

Yeah I have learned to chuckle and pause (like yeah right) when I see a low offer and reply back with a counter offer I think they won’t match only to be called out on my offer. Sometimes these are the ones that end up paying good if negotiated correctly.

4 Likes

How exactly is the “correct” way to negotiate?

How to negotiate ‘correctly’? First, you need to do a business plan…just figure out how much you need in ‘travel fees’ to be profitable in every town/county/zip you intend to service. Then add ‘fee for various loan types, pkg. size, scanback’ (‘your PROFITABLE fee’ for the variables). That IS ‘your fee’. Set 'em and forget 'em! They either meet it or move on.

"Set & forget it’ is mostly what I do. However, some companies will drive you nuts with repeated inquiries with either no increase or a very small one…over & over. With those companies, I increase my fee by $5 with every stupid additional inquiry ‘due to additional clerical work’ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Results vary…either they move on or I get the job, but it’s ALWAYS profitable. Be accurate and FIRM.

5 Likes