Meeting people at packed restuarants

Well, it’s time for me to vent.
Does anyone else get annoyed meeting people at restuarants with bad lighting,
no table space, and packed to capacity with nosey and noisy people?!!!
From now on I will ask a lot of questions about the location if it is a restaurant
and suggest a more private situation nearby, like a chain coffee shop. I had one situation
where the waiter was asking too many questions with her eyes glued on my paperwork. How was I the only person to notice or care about that? Come on people, don’t you care about your own privacy??!!
And “no” I do not want to order food or drink while we are signing legal documents
GOSH!!! rant over, thanks

6 Likes

Once…was enough. A popular steakhouse on a holiday weekend. I flat out told them during the confirmation call that this was not a good idea and why, But the Mrs. insisted. Total disaster. I was right on time–just as they got seated and placed their order and told me: Begin! Their appetizer got cold, as did their main course…while I kept the papers coming and kept telling the hovering waiter I was not eating or drinking…just getting papers signed and be gone so they could ‘enjoy’ their dinner. Didn’t feel the least bit wrong as they got what they wanted. (Tho’ I did have a hard time keeping from LOL)

5 Likes

Oh my gosh, they actually ordered food? WOW!!! hillarious good for you keeping your cool. :wink:

2 Likes

When these types of engagements arrive I explain that no food or beverages are to be ordered until we conclude matters, as we don’t want to accidentally “spoil” the documents should something tip over. I usually recommended a local cafe that I’d built a relationship with the owners who were more than accommodating.

5 Likes

Now that’s a good idea. that’s what I need to do. Some of these restaurants have the same atmosphere as a bar. No offense to bars, just not the best situation for signing documents in my opinion.

4 Likes

I remember the day of nice fancy restaurants but now that I have relocated to more rural area those days are gone. Most popular places to sign aside from residence is Starbuck’s or McDonalds and now that we have nice weather outside. I carry cardstock in my brief case to lay on sticky surfaces. :grinning:

1 Like

Been there done that and it’s not professional even if the signers want to buy lunch or dinner. You have to draw the line and refuse the request.

The best place for them to sign documents is (for example) at my office and I can usually convince them to meet me there.

3 Likes

Gotta love those sticky surfaces LOL sometimes there’s less people
and more table space at a starbucks or mcdonalds

4 Likes

I’m still working on having my own office. So until then biggby or starbucks it is :wink:

3 Likes

i use panera bread locations nobody bothers you.
not around ur area?? then fast food starbucks etc
never a restaurant … unless they insist .then i insist no food or drink til we finish
in remote areas you may have to improvise.

2 Likes

Nope still in the sticks ~ no Panera Bread :blush:

3 Likes

As a single old lady not always safe to sign in my office. I have signed for single lonely old men that have tried to track me down after a signing and I definitely don’t consider myself to be a “hotty”. Have also had some disgruntled people try to track me down because I have declined notary service because they were drunk, high, etc. Everyone needs to decide their risk level and experience has been my teacher. :blush:

4 Likes

I refuse, even at Starbucks. I have a beautiful Notary office and my son’s Art Gallery is next door YET many signing companies say we must meet elsewhere.

3 Likes

Personally speaking, I don’t like to meet at restaurants. The tables are small and the cramped space becomes even tighter if the signer(s) order food. You are also put in the uncomfortable position of turning down any offers to buy you food and/or drink and having your signing take longer because you have to watch them while they’re eating when they should be signing. I don’t mind Starbucks and similar formats for signings but don’t like “sit-down” eating establishments to sign documents.

5 Likes

Can you do signings at Starbucks without ordering something? Or do they ask you to leave?? Lori

3 Likes

I guess I have been lucky when I meet them at Starbucks or restaurants they never order food until I leave. It hasn’t bothered me, what bothers me is when they are late, I pride myself on being on time and when they want to meet they are never on time.

2 Likes

I have done dozens upon dozens of signings at Starbucks. On occasion when I arrive a little early I let one of the baristas know that I am a notary and that I am expecting a client to meet me there for a signing. I’ve always been acknowledged and sometimes told to “take whatever seat”. I’ve never been asked to leave.
I’m not at all bothered by meeting for signings in restaurants. I’ve definitely met in worse places. I never order or have anything on my side of the table. I prefer booths where I can stack papers beside me as we are working our way through them. If there is no booth, I will get at extra chair for the table for that purpose. I am pretty deft at maintaining a modicum of privacy for the client’s documents and ID so that is not an issue for me. And, sticky tables are everywhere, including in clients’ homes. I have no problem asking for surfaces to be wiped down, and request no liquids if possible.

3 Likes

Forgot to mention one of my most fun signing location was on a yacht Bainbridge Island vicinity. Gentleman’s server offered us beverages on deck. View was great :blush:

3 Likes

The worst is when the loan officer & realtor try to have gibberish small talk during the signing with the borrower.

9 Likes

Yes, I’m all about privacy. I always feel like everyone is staring at me and my signer at restaurants wondering what we are doing

1 Like