New Notary fee question

Can anyone tell me what they charge if anything other than the state per signer fee and mileage fee for notary work in North Carolina? Thanks

1 Like

I hope I’m answering you correctly. You can not charge above the state fee or charge for mileage HOWEVER you can charge additional fees. I’m not aware of a breakdown and believe it’s a matter of acceptable wording. (so instead of mileage you would charge Additional Fees which equal travel expense)

Yea paper, IPEN and RON are $10.00 for each primary signature and LS are $15.00 for each. But we can charge for travel now at the Federal government rate per mile. I was wondering if there was other fees like for after normal business hours or extremely long distance or gratuity cost received allowed?

Its your notary service and you can set any fees you see fit. I believe its more of what’s accepted and that wouldn’t just apply to our state, NC. Maybe others can help with how they get beyond the quoted price and negotiate.

GNW
don’t know Convenience, clerical, whatever ‘fee’.
Loan Signings
you’re doing way more than driving and notarizing. Printing, organizing, clerical, maybe scanning, yada, yada.
Can’t remember for sure, but think NC is an attorney-state.

1 Like

I sometimes use the clause “document preparation fees”, which covers populating the certificate printing, organizing, post processing and quality control, and time needed for shipping.

2 Likes

You should check with what your state allows. For NSA work I have a negotiated fee that includes printing, mileage, shipping, and the time it takes to complete the assignment. I don’t charge notary fees in the NSA work. For general one document work, I charge the Virginia allowable notary fee and a separate fee for travel if that is required. For RON work, I only charge the allowable Virginia fee per electronic notarization whether it is an individual document or a full real estate package.

2 Likes

If your state doesn’t define what you can charge, GNW is an agreed-upon price (in advance) between the notary and signer. Some states base it on mileage and some do not. Some don’t allow for a travel fee. You need to check with your SOS if your state does not have a Notary Association.

1 Like

thanks, we offer an attorney if they want one.

Thanks I will remember that.

thanks, I will remember that.

Thank I have to see if we have an association, never heard that NC has one.

That’s it. Notary fee and Travel fee.

That was what I was thing also.

NC is not an attorney state- SC is though.

You really should check your state laws. Fee rules vary by state. In colorado, notary fees are limited to $5 for each signature, but additional trip fees can be charged with nothing specified. I charge by distance, not necessarily mileage, but i know those who do. Say x for the first 15 miles round trip and x for each additional 5 miles. I would Google some fees others charge in your area.

1 Like

From the Secretary of State of NC:
June 8, 2022
“There are new or increased fees that notaries public across the state
can charge now. The maximum fee that can be charged per principal
signature is now $10 for acknowledgments, jurats, and verifications or
proofs. For oaths or affirmations without a signature, the maximum fee
is now $10 per person, except for the identity of a principal or
subscribing witness. The fee for electronic notarizations under G.S.
10B-188 is $15.”
“For any notarial act under 10B, actual mileage at the current federal
mileage rate can be charged if the travel reimbursement is agreed to by
the principal in writing prior to travel. Always lookup the federal mileage
rate to ensure you are charging the accurate fees.”
No other fees are allowed for General Notary Work.
The FB Group North Carolina Notary Network is a wealth of information and is run by the NC Secretary of State.
Another resource: N.C. Notary & Signing Agent Professionals
THE word on notaries in NC: North Carolina Secretary of State Notary Notary (sosnc.gov)

I hope this helps

1 Like

You should put zero in your journal, but make sure you add each notarization. For closings, your really charging for, printing(paper, ink, time), travel time and mileage, scan backs or faxing and time for the closing itself, and correspondence with the title companies, lenders and borrowers. We have to pay for phone service and email. What you charge is way beyond the signing itself!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.