Newbies and alike... the "gold rush" is over

This business is based on interest rates and it’s a far dream they will dip as they did in 2020. Save your pennies paying for background checks, E&O, etc… it’s not worth it getting into the game now. You’ll see title companies and sub-contract companies closing up shop. Yes, a few will survive, but don’t count on big monthly rewards it’s just not there. Newbies following the Youtube hype will learn the hard way, i.e., you’re all late to the party.

7 Likes

Ahhh I think what your trying to refer to is the housing bubble and the US running out of money in October according to Janet Yellen.

4 Likes

It seems that way. I have only spent money on my commission and can use that in a different way. I am not interested in buying an overprice printer at this time.

For me, it’s best to keep an eye on the industry and only pursue it if things pick up. Definitely worth waiting until the next upcycle of real estate.

1 Like

Do you believe there is a real housing bubble?

2 Likes

Those that continue to market for business will still have business in any market. Those waiting for the business to fall out the sky during low rates are in for a rude awakening.

10 Likes

Sure, people are going to get some business, but will it be enough to make it worth it? Will they ALL get the six figures? Doubtful.

Like it or not, things are cyclical. There are better times than others to be in an industry.

There is a lot of writing on the wall that there’s a slow down in this industry. Just make sure you can get your money back when you are done crunching the numbers, marketing or not.

True - but with the influx of new folks it’s diluting the waters, so the business will be spread among more and more notaries - thereby reducing the business one may have had. Not to mention the damage done by those who (a) still have an employee mentality and ask what they pay rather than stating “this is my fee”; and (b) are willing to accept bargain basement fees because they think they have to.

5 Likes

Linda is so very right. Really wish everyone would realize that the current name of the game is Limbo (how low will you go?) Not all companies play that game, but all platforms sure do!

8 Likes

That’s what they said about Amazon stock when it hit $1000. “It’s too late, it’s peaked, it’s overvalued. You’re all late for the party.” It’s $3000+ per share now. There’s a history of successful businesses worldwide that started at the worst possible time, and had their fair share of skeptics.

18 Likes

You know, that’s what I was thinking the whole time I was reading this post. Maybe it’s right, maybe it’s not. I bought stock in AMC after the beginning of this year. It had spiked from like $2 to $20. Everyone thought it would go higher, then some illegal market players halted buying of meme stocks and it went down. Most scared people fled, selling their stock to try and save their money or get their earnings. But, I just kept buying more as it went down since it was on sale. I probably put around $2000 into it.

For several months it hovered around $7-10 lol. EVERYONE was saying it was finished, AMC was finished, no-one would ever go back to theaters after COVID, blah blah. I didn’t believe it so I held. Then this summer it shot up to $72 per share (the highest ever in history) LOL and I made like $8000 profit. All I had to do was wait. When people are scared, buy in, I learned. More for me :grimacing:.

19 Likes

The eviction moratorium is over. There will be a rise in modifications that’s on the horizon and there’s no money in modifications.

6 Likes

Well, now that California no longer has single-family dwelling zoning, who knows what the markets are going to do.

This is not the stock market. This is supply & demand. A whole 'nother animal.

4 Likes

Yeah… Stock prices are a direct result of supply and demand. However, I was talking specifically about the ‘failing’ company, AMC, which is a business and how people claimed the sky was falling for the theater business early in the year and now it’s doing great. But, the more notaries who give up, the more business there is for the rest of us. Doesn’t bother me. :relieved:

7 Likes

I was an importer of consumer goods for years. I used to make a really good mark-up. Then a little company by the name of Walmart came on the scene. Suddenly I couldn’t make as much profit as I used to. That’s competition, not supply & demand. I could have fixated on the “good old days”, but it wouldn’t have done any good. So I didn’t get out of the import business, just like you veterans aren’t getting out of the NSA business. My point is that it doesn’t do any good to discourage new people (whether that’s your intention or not). It won’t bring back the days of overnighted documents and $250 closings.

8 Likes

Thank you…so much negativity here. SMH. Let people be…the same thing was said 25 years ago…when many here was new then

12 Likes

The things that people say on the posts are toxic, I would recommend that you don’t listen to it and just focus on getting stronger at your business. It is very reachable to get to six figures, you just have to be focused and smart about it.

8 Likes

I feel your pain, but this isn’t WalMart either. Supply & demand is another way of saying competition. Realistically, the closest notary should get the work as most of our costs are Time & Mileage (Gas)…but when someone further away is willing to do the job and net less/hour, who does that benefit? Not notaries. Banks are not my favorite charity.

6 Likes

Wow…glad you’re a notary & not a motivational speaker

11 Likes

I subscribe to reality. I’m not a participant in the 10ply generation.