Newbies and alike... the "gold rush" is over

True. But fees were much higher back then. Newer notaries (& I’m talking within the last 2 - 3 years) seem to have absolutely no idea how much they’re losing. Fees charged by TCs to the signer have gone UP in that time (as have our hard costs–paper, toner, gas), while our fees have gone DOWN. In what world does that make sense? Newbs seem to be the WalMart of the biz. Sorry–not sorry. And buying into the WalMart method of keeping prices low—letting hiring party dictate price paid to Notary…and defending it!

4 Likes

I’m confused as to what people are expecting on this forum. The diehards are not going to give you trade secrets. One must figure it out, problem solve, critical thinking skills come into play. Do your due diligence, it just seems like new notaries want everything handed to them and that’s not how this works. Yes, there are alerts if there’s a bad company that doesn’t pay, etc…, but that doesn’t equate to someone being “toxic.”

You are so correct. So many of these companies are LOW balling these assignments! And unfortunately I know for me, I am not getting signings because I will not take these low offers. And If I counter offer of course I do not get a reply back. I really do not think they honestly look at how much OUR expenses have been going up either. I am in Washington and our gas prices are just under $4 per gallon. Then factor in that paper, toner and all other supplies are up in price and low in stock! Unfortunately I also feel like since I refuse the low fees, the companies just stop sending them to me! I is becoming a no win situation

3 Likes

I’m a new Notary, and despite your warning, I’m cancelling all thoughts of poverty. There appears to be a big market in HELOC and Refinancing signings now, and it makes sense given all the country’s problems. As my fridge magnet states: ‘Proceed as if Success is Inevitable!’ That’s my plan…make it yours and see what happens.

20 Likes

HELOC’s are normally done in-house, and refi’s terms are changing as many who have the credit and equity are taking cash out. I don’t know what state you reside in, but that’s not a “big” market.

Maybe that is the case where you live but there are a number of areas that are thriving and a number of extremely savvy LSA’s who are competent, well trained and now how to diversify. As long as people can buy and refinance, there will always be business. You just have to know how to get it and some people don’t.

4 Likes

In New York it is. I get a lot of HELOCS AND REFINANCES. And I just negotiate my fee. But there are so many other ways to make money as a notary. loan signing isn’t my only source of income. New people come in just know when and how to pivot and add services to you’re business. Success to all.

3 Likes

Hi, cdove78. Thank you for bringing positive vibes. Everyone has an opinion and there will always be a need for Excellent Notaries. I believe in multiple streams of income and not putting all my eggs in one place. What else are you doing besides signings!

1 Like

I agree, I have completed over 9000 signings. Newbies are running the notary biss into the ground by working for these obsurd fees their offering. I did not make a 100K last year by taking 50-65 dollar signings.
Now with RON on the horizion will be more of an exuse for nubies to take even less. Unfortunately the big fish always eats the little fish. When the economy slows as will housing noteries will be flushed out and forced to aquire other income sources…

All we can do is to keep pushing for fair notary fees. I’m seeing 10k closing cost transactions lately so these people can easily pay me a fair fee to do the closing and not have to beg for scraps to run my business or take low ball liabilities. Don’t let them fear monger us to thinking we need to accept low ball offers. The disrespect is frustrating.

1 Like

While I appreciate everyone’s perspective, it’s JUST that: their perspective. Where I’m sitting in my lil rural area, my signing volume has grown every month, month over month. I’m getting more direct work and higher fees. That’s my perspective. I started in March so I’m not a brand newbie but I I’m still kinda new…

3 Likes

Bloop! That part sir!

1 Like

I don’t agree with you at all. I was a Mortgage Loan Processor/Loan Closer for over 15 years. Yes, rates are beginning to rise a little bit, but are still amazing great! The “Gold Rush” is far from over! I’m busier than ever. I have been hammered this entire month of September and am already booking appointments for Oct… The problem with new Signing Agents getting in the game now isn’t because of interest rates, it’s because of the over saturation of new Loan Signing Agents. So many people saw all of the “HYPE” and bought into thinking they’d make easy money. Now there are tons of them who don’t have a clue what they’re doing, making mistakes and have no business being in this business… I started as a Signing Agent in January of this year and busted my butt. I’ve proven myself and several SS contact me directly to ask me if I’m available for the job, before they send out the mass text. I have companies that just automatically assign the jobs to me… There is still plenty of work out there, but as with any other business, you have to prove and establish yourself. Not many are willing to put the work in. Those are the ones that won’t survive.

5 Likes

@notarykhoward

Thank you for expressing the need to put your due diligence in your business in order to be successful;that includes your knowledge.

To the newbies, such as myself,you have to start somewhere, whether you choose to the direct route, or through a signing service. You just need to get your foot in the door. I will say its disappointing to see seasoned ,CSA’s or LSA,unwilling to share their knowledge. If you want the industry to grow and thrive, collaboration is needed.

I keep hearing we don’t share our knowledge and think maybe you just don’t read past posts.
Also seems that when we try to let you in on the realities of this biz, you think we’re just being negative and that positive thinking will make your dreams come true. Have it at. I’m done.

4 Likes

Which is precisely I’ve backed off…to be accused of not sharing…wow

1 Like

Hmmm; I did say putting in your due diligence in your business will lead to success.Not wishful thinking and clicking your heels three times will get you what you want.

If your not part of the group that I mentioned, then don’t worry about it. I was referring to those that have the mentality of not wanting to spread their knowledge; that’s where the disappointment come from. Not to bash those who have.

3 Likes

Yes, this is a very volatile business. Always has been. I’ve been doing this before anyone knew what it was. It’s up and it’s down. :woozy_face: Don’t quit your day job!

3 Likes

The sideline hustle needs a sideline hustle.

3 Likes

Pump the brakes! When I started executing closings (15 years ago plus), I learned the hard way trial-and-error. Now, to all of you who watched Youtube and thought “oh wow, I can make some bank,” and think that you can come into these forums and we the “experienced notaries” are going to hand over our knowledge so you can make the coin, that’s a big NO! Sorry newbies, we’ve earned the right to keep our cards close to our chest. What is most perplexing is the reaction, “toxic and lack of positive thinking, blah, blah.” Maybe it’s a generational thing, but I for one, I’m not going to spoon-feed anyone. I’ve offered some good points in different posts, but I’m not going to put money in your pocket. In fact, in the past two weeks, I’ve contracted with three companies to clean up botched closings by people who had no idea what they were doing. This is survival of the most competent. This job is about money, not just your fees, but hundreds and thousands of dollars.

2 Likes