Not wise to trash talk companies and individuals

Disagree…this is OUR forum. A place where we should let others know what is happening out there on the job. There is no throwing bad apples “under the bus” - as they are already rotten. Those bad companies should be ashamed of themselves and what they are doing to the industry. Together - here - we can share actual incidences with others that help to make us all a little smarter in dealing with them - or decide not to. Any less than to feel free to speak out truths, not “slander/libel or defamation” (as you’ve chosen to label it) adds to their power to repress our services and reduce our value and potential to make a decent living in this line of work. To be made to feel that we operate in THEIR world and that they control the realities of it is shear bullying. I, for one, shall never bow down to any bully or insinuation of reprimand from those companies or other NSA’s who call sharing stories in a forum “unprofessional,” undiplomatic," any insinuation of “avoided for safety,” “trash talking,” “immature,” “lack of class,” “setting themselves up for ethics complaints or investigation” - into remaining silent from those companies. Throwing out insinuations that we should be fearful? Of who exactly? Of those companies? You used words like “caution”, “risk”, “fear” and “safety.” Now that’s “cringe-worthy!”

3 Likes

Wow, This topic got heated by some

>>>>> ‘LAME Advice from LANE’

I Guess she is driving in the wrong lane and every other notary is honking and flashing their lights.

Hello !!! how much louder & apparent can it become
Sorry folks, the pun play with words was too good to pass up upon.

2 Likes

While this forum is for notaries to share their experiences, you never know who’s set up an account. There is the real possibility that a principle at a Signing Service, Title, or Lender is posing as a notary. This give the SS, TC, or Lender insight as to what’s being said about them.

Remember posting on the internet is like peeing in a pool. There’s not means to undo what’s been done. Your reputation is in your hands.

To my colleagues who are slamming notaries, be careful what you say. You maybe one day need the advice of your fellow notaries, who, to avoid your vitriol, may decide to let your drown rather than throw you a life ring.

We don’t have syrupy sweet with each other, but we should demonstrate a level of decorum commensurate with our profession. When we don’t behave professionally, we should have no expectation that SSs, TCs, and Lenders will engage our services.

4 Likes

Thank you. YES. Urging notaries to exercise caution and maintain professionalism in public forums was precisely my point.

I’d love to see some attorneys weigh in on the subject as well.

Some folks here on NotaryCafe mistakenly believe that what they post here is private and cannot be seen by the general public. This can’t be any further from the truth. Because a person isn’t actually required to login in order to read this NotaryCafe forum. So although it might be happening as you suggest, it isn’t necessary at all for any hiring company to pretend to be a notary in order to get an insight into the notary world. A login is only required to start a discussion, ask a question, or to comment/reply. (For anyone who doubts what I am saying, LOG OUT of NotaryCafe. Then go back and see that you are still able to read everything that is here. Words here are very much in the public domain. So don’t be surprised if you see them used in future notary articles.)

Remember, these companies aren’t paying the notaries. They’re OFFERING to pay a notary for their services and the notary accepts the offer.

…and when they don’t pay, they have reneged on their offer.

1 Like

I dared to urge notaries caution and professionalism when posting online and this really bothered some notaries who firmly believe this forum is for them to say whatever they want to say, however they want to say it and about whom they want to say it. Because free speech, right?

But Julie, there is a difference between a notary posting, “I didn’t get paid by (name of hiring company) and I’ll never accept another assignment with them again” and a notary posting, “(Name of hiring company) are no good, filthy, lying cheats who ripped me off/scammed me out of $xx and I will never do business with them and no one else should either.”

The notaries who get what I am saying, get it. Those who don’t, don’t.

@NC_Staff, do you care to weigh in on the subject?

Everyone makes mistakes no matter the experience level. In this business ( and in most) it is all about how fast you fix them when it happens.

The people we do business will compliment you when you fix a mistake quickly. Like you are a hero - for fixing your own mistake.

If you neglect to take resposibility and do not fix an error or drag your feet in fixing an error so that a file does not fund on time then you risk the relationship with the signing agency and or title company.

It is easy to tell a very new notary when you read or hear them sayinig in regard to an error - oh, my gosh I dont know how that happened, or it has never happened before. LOL

I certainly have said those things before, because I had done so few signings…Once you have some experience you realize how inexperienced you sound because errors happen no matter how experienced you get.

1 Like

Yes, indeed. We are all human and mistakes get made. Even hiring companies make mistakes. Ultimately how we resolve it is what matters.

1 Like

Exactly!!! OUT them. immoral/lazy (insert whatever other adjective to describe) Companies should be put on blast and potential 1099 employees warned so they don’t work for them.

For example: It appears a step above is now (or is affiliated with signing with tattz) since the emails somehow have the step above language in them. Here’s part of my discussion with one of them today.

1 Like

I absolutely agree! I appreciate knowing which companies to be aware of to prevent losses on my end. Yes we should use professionalism when discussing negative experiences but I mean losing money makes us emotional :sob::blush:

1 Like

EXACTLY, wrong behavior and practices should be outed not kept secret so someone else can go through it too.

1 Like

I do not say much in these forums because of ridiculous comments such as MarkWWoody. Even if I do not agree, you are entitled to your opinion and nothing said here should change it. It’s sad how some have nothing better to say or do.

3 Likes

Your comment was out of line. Just because you do not agree with an opinion resorting to name calling (after completing the 3rd grade) does not help the situation. Change your energy before you try to change someones mind.

3 Likes

Thank you for speaking up👍.

1 Like

I understand what you’re saying, and I agree. The distinction is a bright line between a statement of fact, versus an accusatory conclusive statement. An example of a statement of fact would be: “I didn’t get paid from XYZ and to date they are now 4 months late”. An example of an accusatory conclusive statement would be: "I didn’t get paid from XYZ who scammed me and ripped me off

The first, only states the current situation of payment absent an investigation to conclude why. The second, also absent an investigation to conclude why, makes conclusive accusations as to why. It is this second part where I agree with Ms. Lane. Making a conclusive accusation absent a through investigation of the facts could be damaging for all parties involved in that transaction.

Every case involves a Who, What, Where, When, Why, and sometimes How. Unless ALL of the “Ws” are answered and sometimes How, then a conclusion cannot be reached, and should not be reached. Although as humans, our feelings sometimes get in the way, and we want to give our internal feelings about a matter. I get that, because I have two files that have not been paid yet from work I did in May and June of this year. However, as professionals, we don’t have the luxury of allowing our feelings to enter into business matters. Especially, if we know or should know that our target clientele has access to our conversation(s).

While I applaud those on here who warn us from dealing with what ‘could be’ an unscrupulous company, I think the way to do it going forward is to state the issue “Non-Payment” and invite off-site conversation for the name of the company. Often times I’ve seen those same company names come up on other sites where the companies are rated, which gives the new or newer NSAs some background they can use before deciding to deal with that particular company.

The bottom line is that what we post here should be something we have no problem with saying in person to a room of strangers. Although we’re in our Cafe, and having a conversation about things in our industry, we have to know that some of our clientele are here too. With that in mind, you wouldn’t just say anything in a Cafe where other people can hear your conversation. If it’s something that you would wait to say in private, then you should probably do the same thing here. JMHO. I’m a nobody so take it for what it’s worth.

3 Likes

I just caught up with all the responses, been awhile.

May i ask why you care so much about what others say on this forum if it doesn’t affect you or your business in any way? I see you have many replies on here, lots of time and energy spent here.

For you to not understand why people are heated coming at you is odd to me. When you’re stating "slander " and Libel, legal action, those are not words to be taken lightly. What cases or notaries have ever been sued for slander for their opinion on a forum regarding a company? You seem to feel so strongly of this so please what case or facts has this ever happened?

My guess is none… Do you not see why your post is a serious false allegation not taken lightly?

Im just not clear why you care so much about what opinions are expressed in this forum. If you’ve never been unpaid, then great! None of the opinions should affect you. So im just confused when reading all your long replies to multiple notaries defending your post.

1 Like

Hi, welcome back. I urge caution, professionalism, and diplomacy. And I understand you disagree with me. That is okay too. Take care.

I totally agree with warning your peers in a tactful way. There are many companies that are not upfront regarding payment terms, page size, or scan backs. Also like you said, they like babysitting us, professionals. *So when an awesomely good company comes who communicates, pays quickly and the package doesn’t use all your toner I thank God and always make myself available.

3 Likes