One-Per-Page Notary Journals

Hi again. As a new NSA, I had to purchase a journal. I opted for a new system that employs a single page for each signing. It’s compact and much better for protecting the privacy of others. My only concern is, do I really have to have the signer sign every single page entry? I did that the first time out and it was so cumbersome. For signings that have followed since, I fill out the first entry completely, then note the following entries and refer back to the original entry for Identification and signature info. Am I heading for trouble? Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

I use a Modern Notary Journal that allows for a single signature and then you check off the documents that they signed. You can write in the documents that are not listed. Do this for each signer. It’s much less cumbersome. NNA does not carry it yet so search on Amazon. Best of luck!

4 Likes

I ‘think’ that the ‘signature for every doc’ is a CA-only requirement.

4 Likes

Im a Calif Notary and I purchased a journal wirh single line signature. NNA says that is illegal in Calif. So I made a call to the Secretary of State’s office and asked them personally. There isn’t anything in the law stating you must have a signature for every notarized sig. Only what is supposed to be included on every journal entry. The SOS suggested the other type of journal but cannot enforce it. I purchased my journal from a CA notary supply company during my first signing agent course.

If I recorded my entries the way NNA suggests, I would have up to 25 entries for 2 signers! Ditto marks is a no-no also according to NNA.

3 Likes

I’d check closer if I were you…California absolutely does require single line item entry - it’s in your workbook or newsletter. And yes you may have 25 entries per closing but, in CA, it’s what you have to do. I’ve also heard of the CA SOS auditing notaries on their journal practices and those who did not comply got in trouble

3 Likes

Hi Linda,
I will look into it further again. That was last year when I took my notary commission live renewal class. I do want to follow CA rules. All the notaries I met have the same journal.
SOS office employee says I can keep using it. I even noted the time and person’s name. It would be of time for borrowers to sit there and wait for me to complete each entry after every notarization.

I have also never heard of random journal auditing in CA. I think the SOS would have to have some reason to audit someone.

It is addressed in the 2017 newsletter found on the CA SOS website…specifically addresses journaling

Hope this helps

1 Like

Found it and read. Thanks for the tip. SOS 2020 newsletter also states it. I guess I will be making some changes in how I log my journal. The Calif notary handbook states it differently. The wording is not the same. It leaves out that each notarization requires a separate entry.

Do you have any suggestions on how efficient I could be to log several lines in my journal during a signing?

I appreciate all your input.

I don’t think CA law gives you much leeway for cutting corners. The only thing I can think of is list the date, documents and notarial acts themselves in advance, leaving only the time, ID info and signatures for at the table. But this will mean time for advance prep of the package.

Sooo glad I’m not in CA!!

1 Like

It’s time to move to a new state! LOL.

2 Likes

I just looked at it, Amazon, and this is wonderful! I definitely will order one.
Thanks for the tip :+1:

I use NotaryAct I’ve been in this Industry over 25 yrs and havn’t had any problems

1 Like

Is the same as Modern Journal?.. only one signature for multiple signed documents

I recently started using this when I found out about it. U love it!!!

I use an app, called Notary ACT and it works great. Takes about 1 minute. https://www.notaryact.com First month free. All recordings are archived even if you lapse your subscription. https://youtu.be/KFnP0dNlER8?t=275 https://youtu.be/m6fpU59m5vU

1 Like

I got mine today :raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands: and I’m surprised I never paid attention to this in other forums. It’s a real time saver :+1:

1 Like

And why are we still using paper journals. With the technology today, there should be an electronic version where you can get one signature and thumbprint and all the other reqd info and just copy and paste it on all lines. Would be more efficient. There probably is already a system out there for RON notaries. ( not yet implemented in CA)

I would feel more confident with physical paper, sometimes technology could be tricky… is my personal preference.

3 Likes

Mine too - at least with the paper journal it remains in my “exclusive control” - I don’t trust the cloud…but that’s just me.

2 Likes

HI Kathleen, There are a few different versions of journals designed specifically for multi-document signings like loan closings. Do a search on Amazon for “Loan Signing Notary Journal.” Full disclosure, I am the creator of the Integrity Notary Journal, which is designed for NSA’s.

5 Likes