One-Per-Page Notary Journals

I live in Washington State. I use a physical journal. I write in every document I notarize, have the signer ‘sign’ their signature and get their thumb print, this is the same for wife or husband, etc. I note the ID also. I note anything that may be unusual. Yes, it is more time consuming and takes up more room, but, I am covered for whatever problems may occur. I don’t fill in info before the appt because Washington does not allow that. I would like to add that the signer/signers never complain. As a public position (notary public) I take my duties seriously and try to the best of my ability, give signers my best, as I’m sure we all do. I have been in banking most of my life and have learned that more is always better.

2 Likes

For California, one needs a signature and a journal entry for every notarized document in the loan documents, not just for every signature. So, if you are notarizing it you are going to do a journal entry for it, every single one.

1 Like

In Calif, you will never get a signing done on one hour with 25-30 lines to fill out in your journal. It takes approx five minutes to fill each line, times 30, that is a additional 150 minutes added. It’s ridiculous, and every notary I ran across has the same single entry journal, like mine, purchased in calif. If it is sold in calif, then to me it is legal. It has all the required entries it says in the notary handbook.

Then all due respect Chris but “every single notary” who is using this method (one single line for everything)and yes, that includes you, is doing it wrong. Your 2017, 2018 and 2019 and 2020 newsletters have been specific about this.

But have at it, despite the law…good luck with it

I’m in Ohio. Journal is not required but strongly recommended. I keep one to cover myself. Never to cautious in this business!

2 Likes

I agree Linda it’s best to follow the law and get everything correct it’s not worth cutting corners and doing it the wrong way although I know it’s not practical to spend two or more hours doing the entries I would suggest at minimum putting in the critical entries at least like the deed of trust or the signature name affidavits or compliance agreements.

I guess I just love technology…I use the NotaryAct app on my smartphone. It scans the barcode on the back of driver’s license and automatically enters the information, snaps a pic of the front of the license, signer can then sign on your phone…it detects the location automatically or you can enter it manually…takes you step by step in the app type of doc/notarization, date of doc, fee, # of pgs, credible witness if applicable, …if your journal is ever needed in court, you can print it out or have it sent to any authority with your permission of course. Saves time and paper.

1 Like

Sounds very convenient, Ronald…but if you were my notary there’s no way you’d be scanning my license into your phone. May save time and paper but it sure is an open avenue for identity theft.

And this procedure satisfies your state laws on journal-keeping? I know many states are very specific

1 Like

Identity thief on the notary’s part or some other way? Title companies are sending very sensitive info over the internet. They are not even sure whether notaries are properly securing this information. We know how we are supposed to handle it, but no one is standing over our shoulders. If someone want to steal your identity, they would do better hacking the notaries computer. NotaryAct has secure servers just like the notary platforms we use to download docs. I never use public wifi and I use strong passwords. So, your argument does not make a lot of sense to me. If you want to do everything using pen and paper, you will be left behind. However, that’s your opinion and I am not your notary. Also, Virginia does not require notaries to journalize notarizations, I do it as best practice. Why not check out NotaryAct?

1 Like

I just don’t trust the cloud with my PII -

As for being left behind, that’s a moot point as I don’t do loan signings any more (and I’m so thankful for that after reading what I read here and elsewhere). I’ll stick with my pen and paper journal (which is not required here but I do keep one)

1 Like

@clyde yours is my all-time favorite paper notary journal. It’s the only one I use. Thanks so much for creating this!

Kool beans Linda…I really posted this for those who do loan signings as a way to save time and ensure accuracy. I remembered you saying that back in 2022 that you don’t do loan signings anymore. What’s your point? Unless you live in a complete bubble I bet you the cloud has some of your information. The one and only time my church had a fraudulent transaction was a paper check. Not the cloud. Ask some folks who dropped checks in the mailbox only to have them stolen and altered. Not the cloud.

1 Like

Loose you phone and everything on it belongs to someone else.

I’ve begun using Notary Act and have tried the e-Jurat Inc electronic journal, and it has really been a lifesaver as far as time. I just scan the barcode on the back of the ID. I never take a picture of the front of the ID. The ID itself is not saved on the phone. It’s kind of like when you perform identify verification for a RON and the signer has to provide their ID. That information is stored in the cloud. And as far as losing the phone and the journal getting into the wrong hands, what happens if you lose your paper journal? I would be more worried about losing the paper journal. There is no multifactor identification or password for your paper journal. I am in Florida and am not required to keep a journal, but I would never notarize without one. Everyone has their preferences and ways of doing things. As with anything notary, follow your state laws.

1 Like

Not necessarily! Notary Act has a desktop version so you can login and change your password or whatever…you can export your journal and close your acct if you so desire. Remember, most of the stuff in your phone is not really in your phone. The phone is the gate, keep your gate locked.

It’s a judgement call of course, but I feel that if someone stole my paper journal, the thief probably wasn’t trying to get a journal, but was instead looking for something that can be pawned. So it will most likely just be thrown away. Someone who steals journals from an internet website probably knows what to do with it once it’s stolen.

I will amicably agree to disagree with you there. I’m sure if they throw the paper journal away after stealing it, they aren’t going to take the time to shred it, so there is PII in the wild. I think there are risks to electronic or paper.