Question for experienced loan signing agents

My post must read different than what I thought I wrote. I never mentioned anything about the disbursement date on the CD.

No you were very clear 
 “For example; Yesterday I had a signer ask where the amount was that she was receiving after we finished the signing. I just pulled out the CD again and pointed to the number’s”

2 Likes

Thank you, I kept reading it just to make sure :woman_shrugging:t5:

1 Like

Because experienced will not make mistakes and know what to look for in each type of signing.
Why does a company pay you more, when working or just hired is based on experience and other factors. (A noob might think something on the documents is not important to the signing, but an experienced notary knows it important and must be completed)

That’s why.

Bill

1 Like

Being able to exude confidence as you are the authority can make your signing seamless and quick. Ive been closing loans for 12 years,
go through your docs if time allows,
make sure youre not signing a state that requires two witness, ask your clients if theyve reviewed their CD and final settlement, if all looks good,
then it will be a breeze. Dress professionally at all signings no matter if its $75.00 or $175 sellers believe me you
you will always be in control and always say Congratulations!

1 Like

You can explain the docs but DO NOT explain or talk about rates, points,
that is not your duty. You ate there to make sure they sign correctly and witness their signature. If they have a problem with closing costs this should have been resolved before they draw docs. Always start the conversation as ,
did you review your cd? Everythging looks good? Then you should have a breeze,
in and out.

1 Like

(CA) I just did a closing where the deed of trust named both the husband and the wife but the signature area on the last page showed only the husband’s name as did the notary acknowledgement certificate. The husband (with his wife present) said it was OK and signed alone. He tried reaching the lender but didn’t get through. I went ahead with the deal and everything else was fine.

OK, kids, your thoughts or reaction.

2 Likes

This may be state specific. In WA state, the spouses must both sign the DOT and be listed in the notary statement. If it has been your experience that both spouses are usually signers on this instrument, I would have erred on the side of convention and pulled the signature page of the DOT from the borrower’s packet and turned in both pages with them signed both ways. Then I would have informed title of my decision and let them decide which to run with.

3 Likes

What was the ownership titled?

Borrower is John Doe and Mary Doe, Husband and Wife as Joint Tenants on Deed of Trust. The note just names John.

I was always under the impression that if they are joint tenants that they both should have signed
. Now I am confused

AhhhhHA! Escrow discovered their error and has redrafted the docs. I will revisit the borrower and get the corrected docs signed tonite and get paid for it. No harm, no foul. :innocent:

4 Likes

Yay! You get to add an additional trip fee!!!

When i first started doing closings for a title company back in late 2000, the title company trained us on the documents. I had been a busy real estate agent for 16 years at that point. (I was single and really thought i could use the extra $$ tobpay for someone to do my yard!!) I, of course, was familiar with most of the docs, but knowing what they were for helped closings go smoothly.

2 Likes

If that’s what you want to Pursue
Go for it! The training is Good and Yes you have to spend important, relative time “Learning the Ropes” #ugotthis

In my experience, experience counts. I’m a far more effective loan signing agent after hundreds of closings then I was at say 10 or 20 or even 50. As with any job you gain experience by doing, and you get a feel for important aspects of the flow with customers, what to do when basic questions arise, how to succinctly explain what they are signing and how to sign, etc.

As so, as with nearly any job, an experienced loan signing agent is going to simply be better at that job than someone who is inexperienced or less experienced.

4 Likes

This is very professional answer shows experience and wisdom in addition to being humble.
Thank you

4 Likes

Thank you for your kind words. Much appreciated!

1 Like

If it’s a community property state, then both spouses need to sign the deed of trust. If there’s only a signature line for the husband, then have the wife sign next to her husband’s signature, regardless if there’s a signature line. If the acknowledgement has only the husband, then use an all-
purpose acknowledgement and add the wife’s name there. That’s what I did when I was confronted with this same dilemma, and it went through fine.

1 Like

It sounds simple, but believe it or not, it’s doing all of this “in accordance to your states SOS laws” and “following” the instructions one receives is what we’re ultimately hired for? The various “Interpretations” of both seems to be the biggest killer, hence the “proper” interpretation is the biggest desire among clients!

1 Like