RON is here to stay!

Are you saying that a notary from any state can cover a Florida closing?

yes Again, I only speak for Florida

Personally, I would not do RON less than $65 per. I got a few at $70 though. No print no drive. Love it:)

I love that you read Coloradoā€™s RON law! That is correct maā€™am.

@Garafalo do you know of any law or regulation that says they canā€™t? Do you know of any law or regulation that says a Florida notary cannot perform a closing for someone located in another state? If you DO know of any regulations about that, Iā€™m all ears.

I do not know of any but do confess I have not researched the subject very extensively as I will not be getting my RON commission anyway - first off I donā€™t trust it; secondly, my personal internet is not conducive to such endeavors.

If all the RON is doing for these is tending to the notarized docs, I see no reason why anyone from anywhere could do them.

JMO

You are correct. The Notary must be in Florida (in our case). But the person signing can be anywhere. In fact I had a request to do a deed in lieu of where the signer was in the UK. I didnā€™t happen for reasons that had nothing to do with location. Also we must be doing this for a Florida property obviously if the person is out of date and so is the property. Is that your understanding?

Iā€™m envious. I love working with Amrock and would take on RON signings with them (and others) gladly, but alas, NCā€™s Secretary of State couldnā€™t get approval from our officials to continue RON this year no matter how hard she tried. I am happy for you, though!

1 Like

RON is just getting started here in Oregon, it wasnā€™t allowed until late last year so it not as popular. Iā€™m with you, Amrock is GREAT for RONs, but there is a lot a competition for RON signings - if Iā€™m not holding my phone when they get blasted out, I donā€™t get them. RON is here to stay, but they are not for everyone, especially if the signers are not tech oriented - so paper is also here to stay.

1 Like

I have a second cousin named RON. I wish he would go away.

Iā€™m doing 100% RON only now. I consistently get a good amount and able to give some back every day which is nice. I donā€™t need to be rich:) $65-$70 per signing is fine by me because no print no drive. I just click here and click there and Iā€™m done. Maybe itā€™s because Iā€™m getting older now that I value freedom to work from home and take it easy. Plant some flowers or something.:tulip: No need to drive all over anymore. No need to compete with anybody. No more constantly staring on my phone to push on the damn button.

1 Like

Well, maybe Iā€™ll do RON when it becomes permissible in California. My office is so filled with gear, it looks like NORAD now. Whatā€™s one or two more devices.

1 Like

Hello, Bobbyā€™s NORAD signing office, how may we help you?

1 Like

Thatā€™s me watching old reruns of Magnum P.I. on the left screen. :grinning:

1 Like

Your business is really doing great.

I am considering remote online notary in Oklahoma but of course this:

My research shows that some states do not limit and some do so I want to make sure that I wouldnā€™t be paying for RON platform and can only make $25 per signing.

I donā€™t know what to tell you. I donā€™t pay RON platform. Iā€™m only doing real estate/mortgage loan closing via titles/lenders. I donā€™t do general notary work at all.

Check the definitions in your state. The way I read the definitions in my state, one notarial act is administering one oath to one person, taking one acknowledgement from one person, or witnessing one signature. Checking a random 2nd mortgage signing for a couple from my journal, I count 15 notarial acts.

@zipnotaryok the way I read what you posted, your state allows you to charge $25 for each remote notarial actā€¦so no, not $25 per signing

1 Like

A question about the number of notarial acts per session, for anyone who knows. In a normal paper session, the signers may get several related documents notarized, and the documents donā€™t get shipped until the end. Imagine if the notary got called about a family emergency half way through; intelligent signers arenā€™t going to say ā€œtake the ones that are finished with you and weā€™ll see what happens.ā€ Instead they would say ā€œweā€™re going to shred everything; if you want the docs, you can have a garbage bag full of the shredded docs.ā€

Are there any RON platforms that have a limit on how many documents can be notarized? I would think signers would want to either notarize everything in one session, or not do RON at all.

Similarly, if a signer gets 5 documents notarized, and decides the 6th is unacceptable, can the signer cancel the whole session and all 6 documents are considered unsigned?

No, this cannot be done once the seal is added to the document it is locked and canā€™t be tampered or changed. That is why the fee is charged upfront.

The issue with multiple documents, one of which is unacceptable, isnā€™t just paying for the notarization. Suppose the signer doesnā€™t mind paying for the notarizations, but decides that since 1 of 6 documents are unacceptable, the signer doesnā€™t want to use any of them. If the documents exist on the platform, but the signer refuses to send them to the entity that requested the notarizations, the signer will get the desired result: none of the documents will have any legal effect because they were never delivered. The same as if I paid for a notarization and then buried it in my back yard where no one could find it.