Scan backs

From what I’ve been reading by other notaries, if they want scanbacks they must pay for them, if they want funding the same day. I’ve read that sometimes docs are 100 to 200 pages to scan back, can you imagine the heat from the scanner bulb and wear and tear on the scanner(over head).
Maybe someone can tell me the process of how this scan back stuff works. I’ve just been picking up documents at the title company and bringing them back. Never done this scanbacks and then drive on 2 wheels to find a FedEx drop office yet. Seems like a bad migraine headache waiting to happen. :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

I purchased a high flow scanner and it scans all 200 plus pages in less than 2 min.

Hello copelandnotary1,

Can you please tell what scanner you have? … if you don’t mind. I’m debating between buying a full printer with scanner, copy and printing or to buy each separate.

BluePenNotary - here’s my thought on that

You buy an MFC, one part goes out, all your functions are gone; separate machines, separate breakdowns. I have an MFC, a dual tray printer (dinosaur) and an Epson Scanner (all bought at separate times as funds allowed) -

Just one small thing to consider in your purchase. And I, too, am curious about copelandnotary1’s scanner…

Morning,
Is it’s the Canon Image DR-C230 it was about $395 and let me tell you it works well I love it! I have not been a signer for very long but I struggle with not remembering what document is what when explaining to the signer. Do you have any tips .

Thanks for your suggestions, Linda… I’m thinking about the brother MFC-L6800DW or Brother Monochrome Laser Printer, HL-L6300DW, and separate scanner. Actually I have a brother DCPL2550DW, but the scanner is a bit slow and frustrating, and I need to stay while scanning if not chaos might happen. The printer is good, everything else is good except for the scanning function.

I’ll check into that one :+1:

That’s exactly what I went through with my Brother MFC. The scan back was painfully slow. So I opted to get a separate scanner, and I got the Epson

1 Like

Well, I’m following your advice and after a search on Amazon, I’m placing an order for the Epson WorkForce ES-500W Wireless Color Duplex Document Scanner for PC and Mac, Auto Document Feeder (ADF)

Thanks for your help Linda! You cleared my mind

Hey I had a similar problem. So I get an $80 signing and I accept then I open the docs and it’s over 200 pages to print. They had originally said no scanbacks. I asked for $100 for the printing and that scanning costs extra. So they raised the fee and then they send me the morning of a scanback requirement. I fear getting blocked because i asked to reassign on a Saturday. I just can’t spend an hour scanning and collating. Will i get blocked?

They had originally said no scanbacks. Ive had that done to me too and i just ship them it wasnt in there offer. Never had a problem

I include scanning, same day drop off at shipping center as part of my fee. I charge more than most of the local notaries but I start at that level when negotiating a fee. I figure that my offer should always exceed what I am willing to settle for. I also do not discount print fees. Same print fee for any size package whether it is five pages or two hundred.

2 Likes

If you want to be a great notary signing agent then you need to have the appropriate equipment to do the job…just sayin…

2 Likes

That’s what I do. If I have 3 + closings that day, I make it clear I don’t have the time to do scan back as UPS closes at 6 . They are comfortable with that as long as I overnight the package.

your library lol, mine charges 10 cents a page

A scanner is part of our equipment like a printer. Lenders can get funding and other things done with scanned docs.

1 Like

I lease a dual tray printer with a ADF scanner for $34 a month. Only hassle is they want scan backs asap so I have to run to my house. I have on my profile that I charge extra for scanbacks. I also have a mobile scanner that I purchased for $100 but scanning back 117 pages one at a time is a joke!

1 Like

In this situation, I’d like to bring your attention to Smart Engines - they offer automatic and eco-friendly document scanning and OCR technology that could help you digitize your documents without having to go through FedEx. With no data transfer required, you could easily scan your documents using Smart Engines and avoid the additional fees.

It’s important to not work at a deficit for these companies, and charging for specialized services is a valid business practice. I hope that Smart Engines can help you cut down on costs and make your operations more efficient.

@DominionNotary

TO ALL MEMBERS ==>> Most of you probably already know that one component of our responsibilities regarding the document packages is to maintain the integrity & security of the data contained within them.

Maintaining that status includes physically keeping the document packages under lock & key when under our care & to ensure that the contents of those documents are ONLY accessed by the signers.

======

The majority of equipment in large print and/or scan shops today (including FedEx, Kinko’s, QuikPrint, etc.) have extensive memory cards in them that retain the data from the documents scanned or printed.

The free scan services are obtaining some financial benefit from allowing the use of their service, which would include (at a minimum) access to the contents of the document packages & could include the possibility of identity theft. One never knows for certain what someone else will do with the data . . .

Ergo, it’s important to completely AVOID exposing the document packages that are under your responsibility & care to such equipment or services.

:swan:

2 Likes

My copier has a scanning feature. I find once you provide error free work a few times the requirement for scan back goes away. They don’t pay extra for it because most printers have a scanning feature. I also have to explain to people who hire me that scanning back can delay shipping. If they want scans and same day ship I explain they don’t always get both. I’m in a rural area with limited shipping points.

I don’t charge for scanning. I just explain the parameters of same day ship. It’s rarely an issue. And once I work with a title company several times and provide error free packages the request for scan goes away.

1 Like