Service Link Fees

Thank you for your response. I am not frustrated because the post or my reply back was not about me. I simply stated that “some” newbies feel they can’t ask for the higher fees or are not in the mindset to conduct their business in such a way. I do not represent all newbies nor do I share everyone’s experience. I have a very good understanding of what it takes when you first start any business and understand it will take a strong level of grit and dedication. You can’t start any business and expect an overflow in your first month. You can’t expect to see the same revenue that other seasoned businesses are getting. I understand what your former student said but that is not my philosophy on life and it does not apply to me. I will continue to learn and observe from the background because all opinions given will not always apply to me. Thank you and this is my last reply to anyone about my posts that was not intended to ruffle some feathers.

1 Like

@JANGELNOTARY Would you please reconcile for your audience the discrepancy between these two quotes from your posts and your Notary Cafe Profile?

@JANGELNOTARY “I am a NNA mobile signing agent with 5 years of experience.”

The co-signing a loan & credit score… excellent analogy for why low fees should be avoided like the plague they are. Whole post is an A++.

1 Like

I think the problem is most of the newby’s have only held jobs where they were an employee. Never owned and worked a business themselves. is there any part of Linda’s message that does not compute???* Wake up.Please

3 Likes

$400 for a signing???
In my area, $150 is a good payment. While I don’t go below $100, the highest I have ever earned on a signing is $225 and that was only because of the complications of the signing.

1 Like

I get that many times. I actually gave back one order today. They refused to increase to $350 from my regular standard base fee of $210 for hybrid. It was for 6pm to drive about 37 miles one way into the snow packed rural mountain area. I’m familiar with the area, the roads can turn into sheet of ice after the sun goes down, it’s dangerous. I was willing to go slow and be extra cautious for $350.
I’m sure who ever took it after I gave it back, probably got between $300-$345! There is no loyalty here, if they can save even $5 with another agent, they will do it!
I could shut up, take a risk, keep my regular base $210 fee but I gave it back. No regrets!

1 Like

I’d laugh at them and say, “Fine, you can call me when you’re desperate or when you need me to re-sign”

They didn’t call me to ask me to reduce my fee, but I’m in the same not as you. Was getting steady work from them and then it stopped…likely because they think my fee is too high. Oh well for them.

Gas price went up They should think about that also.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice!

@Tisino Thank You, Tisino, for your regular, supportive Notary Café forum contributions.

Your post appears to be well-intentioned. I agree with some of what you advance in this post, but certainly not all . . .

As the new members are seeking insights regarding launching their business, a Key Element to Success is providing themselves with an appropriate foundation and undergirding that will serve & support their business.

======

Telling members providing services within this business sector that it “doesn’t require paid training” is doing a great disservice to not only them, but more importantly to lenders, title/escrow companies, borrowers, etc.

That’s like telling someone who has learned to type that they can excel at machine coding tomorrow morning without any training. :astonished:

Over the years of having successfully completed nearly all the available training programs, I only recommend the very Best (see below). This training amounts to a few hundred dollars. Due to the very reasonable price, the training investment can be quickly recouped.

This training not only provides guidance and instruction regarding providing these services, but also provides MUCH information about how to start, manage, and grow this business. In addition, they provide Mentoring services at very reasonable rates.

Many of the elementary queries posed on a daily basis within this forum would already be answered if they completed this training.

In addition, there is a great amount of risk inherent while providing these services. The training increases one’s awareness and cognizance of the potential pitfalls and risks that could harm their business before they really even get started. As such, the insights & wisdom amassed during training will serve the newbie business owner very well at the onset and over the long-term.

======

My personal experience:
When I initially started performing this work, I successfully completed MULTIPLE training/certification programs including Notary2Pro & NNA and many others. I have extensive experience in skill sets that require certification and recurrent evaluation tests; i.e., I’ve maintained my Project Management Professional [PMP] certification for more than 20 years. So, I understand what it usually entails and the elements that should be included within a comprehensive training program.

Regarding the NNA training specifically, it’s lacking across multiple topics & categories. Many NNA “graduates” choose to take additional training courses elsewhere, because they sense they’re insufficiently prepared. Their primer has errors throughout. Their hotline is less than reliable for accurate responses.

In my experience with undergoing the multiple training programs for certified notary signing agent [CNSA] certification, hands-down without question, Carol Ray’s Notary2Pro training programs are optimum in this industry. I’ve successfully completed ALL of the multiple training/certification programs that Carol offers through her company Notary2Pro. Her programs are thorough & detailed. These also prepare the business owner to operate a business. In addition, she offers Mentoring services. I found those to be excellent & INVALUABLE when I was initially starting out in this business sector. The prices are surprisingly reasonable. :white_check_mark:

I’ve professionally compared the training/certification programs available at Notary2Pro with the others I’ve successfully completed. The ONLY training/certification program I recommend is Notary2Pro.

A list of companies that hire Notary2Pro graduates (with minimal or no experience) is provided to successful course graduates. => This list is pure GOLD! Study up, refresh your notes, & let Carol know when your initial few signings are scheduled. She is a wonderful mentor & can be on standby in case you encounter difficulties or have questions during your first few signings. She’s the Best! Her support will help you Build your Confidence in providing this service. :trophy::white_check_mark:

In addition, Notary2Pro works diligently to keep this list up-to-date regarding vetting and viability. As we all know, some reliable clients can encounter financial difficulties and that, in turn, can negatively impact CNSAs directly.

Of course, your best bet would be to visit their website at https://www.notary2pro.com/ , research, and make the choices appropriate for your situation. The training programs by Carol Ray are comprehensive & thorough. :sparkles::tada::sunglasses:

P.S. I receive no compensation or remuneration of any type or kind as a result of my first-hand experiential review above.

2 Likes

Good morning cNsa5
Thank you for your considered response and your support for my effort at providing useful comment to other members of the forum where I feel I have insight to offer. You have laid out a very useful and detailed argument to rebut my comment about the requirement for paid training to which I do not disagree – for the most part.

I am largely in agreement with your assessment, as is in my follow up statement

But, your premise and analogy are not in sync with my statement. I am quite deliberate about word choice, and the word I used is required. I am a member of the NNA and take their certification because it stands as the gold standard in the industry for listing on SigningAgent.com and an often stated requirement for background check by what appears to be most title companies seeking notaries as listed vendors. But, I don’t see certification and training as necessarily being in the same basket. It is possible to pay for NNA certification without purchasing their Notary Essentials (or other) training programs. You do have to launch their exam to receive the NNA certified stamp of approval, but you can take that exam without any associated training – I know, did that! The first time I signed up with NNA I launched the exam with no training at all and received 75% just on intuitive understanding (just shy of the 80% required to pass). Was able to see the responses I had missed and did self study from that point to get to a passing score in two more tries over the same weekend. So, it’s possible.
Until this year, when this forum was flooded with new notaries seeking advice, I had never heard of these training programs. And not feeling the need for them, I have not looked them up to see what they offer. But, I certainly don’t advise that people not seek training, where they feel the need.
We approach responding to queries in very different ways and most often come to the same conclusion. There is a reason that Martin Luther King, Stokley Carmichael and Malcolm X all existed in the same place and time (in the spirit of Black History Month) – they were all necessary for what they brought to the table. And so it is with you and I. Continue to do you – you are exceptionally good at it and I take my scarf off to your skill and knowledge. But, as to whether the training programs that exist for others to become proficient at becoming a Certified Notary Agent being REQUIRED. I stand by my original assessment. It is not!

1 Like

Going to jump in here with a brief thought

Although I agree with both of you…what I want to point out is although paid training to be a loan signing agent may not be REQUIRED, it is key and critical for those who have NO mortgage/loan experience to make sure they get the proper training (and I don’t mean YouTube) so they are able to go out there knowing what they’re doing. It is only fair to both the notary and their signers that the notary do a true self-assessment as to whether they know their stuff or not.

It may not be required, but it cannot be discounted.

JMO

1 Like

:100: Percent!

=> The difficulty always is that “you don’t know what you don’t know . . .” Nearly impossible to build a solid foundation on a lack of training, knowledge, and experience. It’s just a really good idea to do it in your own best interest (not advocating for it to be a requirement).

Everyone has varying backgrounds, knowledge, skills, and experience. This affects the results achieved. Why NOT give oneself a proverbial “leg-up” by increasing reliable & trustworthy knowledge?

Considering the number of elementary queries that are posted on the forum nearly daily, there certainly appears to be a need for many to seek out training for their own benefit.

I believe we’ll need to agree to disagree here @Tisino Thank you for your additional thoughts.

Best wishes :sparkles:

We don’t disagree. You are not advocating for training as a requirement. Neither am I. On that point, we are on the same page. And I thoroughly believe that everyone has the savvy to figure out what’s in their own best interest.
Good wishes to everyone.

1 Like

Yes, absolutely accurate. Thank You, LindaH-FL.

The presumption is that members are striving for and seeking success. Endeavoring to assist members with candor, integrity, and trustworthiness.

Everyone understands that different members have assimilated different skills through life. :sparkles::angel:

Best Wishes to All. :+1::tada:

Love. Love, love your words and I echo your thoughts as well. Read, research and grow. You my dear are spot on! Bravo :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I’ve done quite a few $85 HELOCs for Exos/ServiceLink, but I’ve also done quite a few refis for them that have ranged between $125 and $175.

In my experience it pays not to be shy about countering, or about stating your fee up front, as soon as they give you the details of the signing. The $125 to $175 signings I’ve had from them have been handled in exactly that way. Sometimes they approve on the spot, other times they call back with approval. And sometimes I don’t get the signing, which is fine with me, because the figure I give them is what I’m willing to do the signing for, in terms of my fee.

3 Likes

They told me $70 was the refi rate in my area. When they called today for a last minute refi I stated my fee was $85 since it was close, but she said you said you would do $70. I wanted to say no your guy said you only pay that in my area, but I bit my tongue. She said she would check and call me back if accepted. Needless to say I did not hear back. But most of my signings pay over $85 so I didn’t think i was asking for too much. However, I probably won’t hear from them again. And they only take notaries with 6 months or 50 signings. So you have to have experience, but they pay less than my very first signing.

Wow… that is extremely low. What area are you in? I charge $70 for a single doc signing in my area only and $100- $125 for local refi within 10 miles.

2 Likes