Shipping Mistake - Help!

I just did my first signing on Monday. I spent hours preparing, but in the end I still made a shipping mistake.

The label was set up for Fed Ex, which I completely missed and so I dropped it off at the post office.

I didn’t realize my mistake until the day after. I sent in scan docs, and although they were clear they weren’t completely lined up. I spent all morning trying to track the package down since Fed Ex says they haven’t received the package yet. Ultimately the post master where I dropped it off assured me that it would get to where it needs to be.

I’m unsure whether or not to contact the client at this point and explain why it’s late. I want to be forthcoming but I also know sometimes bringing up problems before they’re addressed just creates more issues.

What is the best way in this line of business to handle a mistake like this?

Thanks!

That package, and the responsibility for it, is on you. If the postmaster told me that Tuesday morning, I’d have asked him to hold it and I’d go pick it up and drop it at a FedEx facility and get a receipt.

Now, Thursday, I’d suggest you contact that postmaster and ask him the outcome - what he did with the package; the package may not be late if he followed through - he probably dropped it off at FedEx for you, and if he did you’re very lucky.

If the company contacts you about it, own it. That’s all you can do. You need to own your mistake. For now, I’d be looking for that package - do you still have a copy of the mailing label? Try tracking it again.

1 Like

I have never received an assignment with instruction to drop it at USPS… is either FedEx or UPS, not even DHL.
You’re lucky if the postman gave it to FedEx, either hand delivered or drive by, unless there’s a FedEx box outside of the building. Once it happened to me at my regular job (not notary or anything alike) it was supposed to be given to the FedEx pickup person, instead the mailroom guy put it in the regular mail bin… that created such a stress because it was very important documents with original signatures, and date sensitive! We couldn’t found out what went wrong until 2 weeks later when it was returned to us by the post office.

1 Like

Thank you, and I know it’s my fault.

My client called me and asked about it’s whereabouts and I explained everything and apologized.

Do you know how this will effect me? Is this grounds for legal action to be taken against me?

That depends on too many factors to answer - how did they accept your explanation? did the package ever make it to them? Did the borrowers lose their rate lock? Was the loan able to fund on time so as to avoid additional payoff costs? Did it fund on time so the borrowers don’t have to pay more up-front interest? Did the borrower get their money on time?

I’m sure if the package arrived and everything went on time you’ll probably either (a) not get paid or (b) get paid less (ding your fee for your mistake) . Unfortunately, it may be safe to say you won’t hear from them again for a while. It depends on how well the company took the news. Maybe you got someone who realizes we’re all human and mistakes happen.

That’s pretty scary! I recommend ALWAYS getting a receipt. The title company for my own house purchase told me a FedEx Dropbox was fine but I’d never risk it.

While I haven’t made a mistake, yet, I almost did. I was saved because I didn’t drop it in a box. I was dropping off two packages and the FedEx clerk saw the label was for UPS. I’m not sure how delayed it would’ve been…

Receipt=insurance. Once you have it, the responsibility for the documents transfer to the shipping company.

1 Like

I promise, this is not a spam. Just a tip, you can always use places like Mailbox ETC, or any place that’s a “shipping store”. They work with all shipping companies. They can also do heavy duty faxing, if you need to do stuff like that. The great thing about these places is that they’re usually open later than USPS.

Yes, I will never make this mistake again and receipts are life!

Hmmm okay, I don’t think we have those is WA but I will be on the lookout! Thank you :slight_smile: