So we lose business when we counteroffer now?!

Got accepted to complete a refi 35 mins away. Fee was $100, but countered for $125 (for gas prices​:sweat:)!! When I realized they accepted me (for the $100) it was too late by the time I sent the counteroffer of $125. Ok, I’ve done multiple signings for this co and figured from the 75+ closings I’ve completed for them, w/ no errors, they would consider the extra $25 with no problem…ahhh wrong!! Unless this scheduler was new bc never heard of him. So after few mins of no response via email, I called. The guy was a bit hesitate after giving my spill of why I was counteroffering bc of distance, scanbacks and the many signings I completed error-free. Then he stated, “Well, there are other notaries in the area that would accept the standard fee…” blah, blah, blah! I think they teach them to say that as a first response!! They gave the signing to another agent bc I counteroffered! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

So my question to you all is: Since gas prices are going up and average in Atl ($4.25 gal), are you all considering an addt’l fuel charge or just accepting the assignments as they are (to say something is better than nothing) and going with the status quo? Everything has a domino effect…why can’t the companies consider this for us as well?! I’m sure they are charging these companies more on their end too!!

5 Likes

When I set my original pricing parameters I gave myself a 30% buffering what I needed and wanted as far as profit for each signing due to the instability in the market place…paper…ink…gas prices etc. I have my high and my lows price. The SS is not going to adjust their prices especially if there are notaries willing to accept low offers.

2 Likes

Ah, folks… what is the point of working in this business if you’re not making ‘cost PLUS ‘decent-pay-all-costs-&-provide-liveable-income’ profit’? It’s going to be a rough road UNTIL notaries working too cheap get smart or quickly go broke & quit AND hiring parties catch up their offered fees with our new realities.

15 Likes

I am in GEorgia, and I have been countering due to the high gas cost, but hasn’t been assigned any that I counter.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, if we misquote the hiring company and if they already accepted our bid and assigned to us, they have the option to decline any fee increase. Just like if we accepted an assignment for $200 and the hiring company later turned around and said Oh I meant to say we would only pay you $75. Should that happen, then we too would have the option to decline any fee decrease.

In this case, if I cannot come to an agreement on rate with the hiring company, I just politely apologize for any misunderstanding and move on. The danger of being too gruff with the schedulers on the phone (however justified we may be or may feel!), is they are human and may hold our attitude against us later on in the form of not calling us for other assignments. These schedulers’ jobs are very stressful. Many are still working from home and they are juggling multiple issues. They are all fighting against deadlines and last second requests, last second changes, trying had to get all these appointments scheduled and assigned to signing agents as quickly as possible so they can move on to the next. They are being monitored on how efficiently they get their workload completed.

You are absolutely right to take expenses into consideration when you bid an assignment! 100%. That is smart business. Gas prices are going up, but I would not tell them it is a FUEL CHARGE. Everyone on the planet knows gas prices are increasing right now. So simply increase your rate. As our costs go up, yes indeed, our rates must go up if we hope to earn a living and stay in business.

From the hiring company’s perspective, when they call us for an assignment request it irritates them to get nickled and dimed. They don’t want to hear us tell them it will be $ for fuel, $ for this, $ for that, $ for that… They just want us to tell them the bottom line: Given the assignment, WHAT IS THE RATE WE WILL CHARGE?

What has happened to me before I would be on the phone with the hiring company, they’d offer XX ,I counter with XXX and they would accept. Then they would send me the confirmation that contains the OLD XX offer. This is why I immediately look at the confirmation rate that they send me via email. If it reflects the wrong fee amount (and it sometimes does), I call right back, give the order number, and explain the fee amount is incorrect and I politely remind them that what we had agreed on (they usually remember!). Then I politely ask them to resend the confirmation with the correct fee amount. 99% of the time it is just a data entry mistake. Maybe the scheduler had made the correction on the back end of their system and had sent me the assignment confirmation before saving the new fee amount. Either way, I try to address fee errors immediately because what we say on the phone is one thing, and what is in writing is what is enforceable.

I have also inadvertently hit the ACCEPT button in a text message when I meant to hit the REPLY to counter option. So, if that assignment does happen to get assigned to me with a rate I cannot accept, I have two options:

1. I can immediately contact the scheduler to tell them my error so that they can repost the assignment.
  2. I can do the assignment for the unacceptable rate and chalk it up to an expensive lesson learned.

Cheers to the domino effect. I hear you loud and clear!

6 Likes

I am so so sorry to hear that:(. I think it depends on the company and the person you talk too? Building that quick initial rapport first is important, then get to the business talk. I negotiated on two due to multiple signers and got approved.

3 Likes

From the SS perspective, we do not get higher fees from our title clients when gas is up. Just like we don’t get lower fees when gas is down.

2 Likes

That is true….:thinking:………………:thinking:

But on the same token as a SS you should be considering your notaries and valuing them enough to maybe start bartering slightly higher fees to make up for what we are all experiencing

5 Likes

Yep, that’s why we don’t offer $65 refis

1 Like

True, that. The only thing a notary can do to stay afloat financially is shrink service area when expenses are high and expand area if/when costs go down.

7 Likes

@Arichter Absolutely concur :100: percent along with efficient negotiation skills!

:swan:

1 Like

Yes, if you’re 100% SS business.
If you’re direct work, then you always keep expanding your business area, since the increase in gas is neglible when your fees are $150-$250

This may come as a shock, but Direct has limited viability in many areas/states.
Nor does $250 cut it when SS can’t find someone local and starts expanding the radius to 125 miles and 5-6 hours drive time. Yes, I do see that often and wonder if they think at all.

3 Likes

Of course, if you’re rural you’ll command higher fees since there’s few in your area. But volume will be very low. Not a shock, I own a SS.
I’m speaking to the overwhelming majority of LSAs that never market themselves who will be quitting or getting “normal jobs”.

4 Likes

I’m curious, how far of an area expansion is that for $150-$250.

None, those are my normal direct rates, whether I’m in-office, or driving 90 mins

3 Likes

Agreed. IMO, best pay working with titles, lenders and builders.

4 Likes

This happened to me recently. I hit the accept button and was assigned the job. I immediately called them to let them know that the price was not sufficient for the area. They unassigned me the job and posted it again and instructed me to rebid with my price. I was then (1/2) later given the assignment at my price.

5 Likes

Excellent!:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands::+1::+1::+1:

1 Like