Stacking order instructions for notary to rearrange docs?

Good afternoon!

A package for a closing I did last night includes instructions for the signing agent to rearrange the documents in the package before shipping, which caught me off-guard because we’re usually instructed NOT to rearrange the docs and instead to keep them in the exact order in which they were received.

The instructions tell me to pull the mortgage, note, and CD and place them “after the title affidavits” but before “the remaining documents”. This might be a really stupid question but how do I know exactly where the “title affidavits” end and “the remaining documents” begin? There is no cover page that indicates where this change occurs so I’m at a loss right now. I tried giving them a call but no one answered.

At the bottom it says “failure to put documents in the above order will result in a $25 fee reductio0n if reported to (SS).”

Any ideas?! SOS!

1 Like

Title Affidavits should be on title company letterhead, lender docs with lender name somewhere - top corners, lower corners…etc etc

Survey Affidavit, sometimes Name Affidavit, Occupancy Affidavit, among others, are all title affidavits (can’t remember a lot of the titles… been a while); then your CD, Note and Mortgage, then all the rest of lender docs. Title companies vary in what docs they have so hard to list them all.

Refer back to your training materials - this should have been outlined. At the very least you should be able to identify lender docs - set all the lender docs aside and all you should have left are title docs.

1 Like

I always follow instructions, if there’s none then return package as received… in same order.

Thanks Linda, that’s a big help.
SS’s so now besides LOW BALL offers. They have come up with another way to take money out of the NSA’s pocket. We are the ones out there braving the weather and the virus. Whoever receives the paperwork, can’t they while sitting in their cozy office … sort papers ?

1 Like

I agree with JohnM. I’ve had instructions scattered through loan docs that contradict each other about stacking order. I’ve had docs where they specify an order for scanbacks and another for shipping. They know their own docs and can find what they need. Most that I do don’t specify an order, though. I think that docs should be sent to us so they can be printed in the preferred order. I love being helpful but don’t like enabling laziness, which I feel like I’m doing sometimes. I don’t think the signing agent should have to rearrange docs beyond maybe the top page. When I do more I feel like I’m doing a kindness beyond my actual responsibility. In spite of griping a bit here, most companies that I work with are great and are quite happy just to have well printed docs and all signatures, dates, notarizations, etc. done correctly and docs returned ASAP.

2 Likes

I usually keep my documents open in the print screen where I can use F4 or search. Type the name of the pages your asked to reorder and arrange them based on what the instructions request. Tab each heading to make sure you are placing the correct documents where they should be in the shipping order. Keeping the documents open allows you to double check your pages before shipping. Btw… this is something that needs to be billed extra because it’s extra work.

1 Like