TC/SS Greed

It is just frustrating how easily and suddenly these people could dumb you whenever they find “cheap” signing agents.
I used to do signings for two major TC for years with a zero error profile. Suddenly, My signing offers from both went down to zero. I got the same response when I called each " We’re sorry, but your fee rate appears to be above the set average for your area".
These TC are different, they are not related at all but this seems to be a general trend that has started as cheap newbs saturated the market and the accept any fee 30, 40, … I wish they realize that this way they’re hurting us and themselves financially… I believe the signing agent job is dying and seeking a more stable source of income has become necessary.

7 Likes

Can’t disagree…it is a trend.

Yep. My 1099 for 2020 for one of these title companies for last year was $43,000 alone. I had been working with them for the past 5 years and my fees were never a problem. Now they only call me once in a while, likely if they can’t find someone for $80. Sorry, not reducing my fees because new people are doing it cheaper. Also I’m sure the inexperienced ones are also causing tons of requests for scan backs for RTC Refis which is a waste of my time. I add $25 if they want scans and sometimes counter-offer them a price with and without scans.

7 Likes

I believe the signing agent job is dying

I’m very underwhelmed. Even after getting busier, I’m still not seeing the potential I read about beforehand. We’ll see.

3 Likes

I made more as a signing agent per signing back in 2012 then I do now. I looked back at my records and very rarely did I have anything under $100. Most of my signings were $125-175.
I stopped doing signings for a while and came back and I am shocked at the fees I am offered now. Who is taking these $60 and $70 signings???

5 Likes

Inflation Calculator

This calculator helps determine the buying power of a dollar over time in the United States

$125 in 2012 will be worth $146 in 2021 (yet they offer less than $100)
This is an average inflation rate of 1.75% and cumulative inflation of 16.91%.

Just saying…

4 Likes

Actually, check with your state. Your state mandated fees may have gone up! Ours in Nevada did increase effective July 1st, and I only found out this past week! If your state mandated fees went up, I’d let those companies be aware of it. Maybe they are unaware of it.

2 Likes

Wow I’m going to see if there’s a salary calculator somewhere to see yearly trends and pay for signing agents

Definitely, but I meant the signing agent fees. TX mandated fee for notarizing a document is $6 or less and I don’t think someone is actually does that for living

Aren’t they concerned if lenders leave them for other TC/SS due to poor quality? You all probably know how lenders deal with these people

I agree with you 110%! I have not and will work in six months. I would loose money at that rate, gas, paper, time. I accepted an assignment the other day from a tc, order did not say it was 200 pages with 5 signers. When I requested a fee increase I was removed! I see assignments now for under $50! That is criminal.

4 Likes

I made them aware. They don’t care. I was told to submit new fees but if I did I would more than likely not get any work.

The business is in programs to teach people how to become a NSA. This business is being sold as a get rich quick scheme.

2 Likes

I accepted a CEMA refi signing for $150 which was 10 miles away. Sounds great so far. When the docs came over the instructions were to make 3 and 4 copies of multiple docs which made the package a total of 570 pages!!! Yes, I said 570!. If I hadn’t already made 1 full set before the instructions to make many copies, I would have cancelled on them. I asked for an adjustment in the fee for the extra printing and time, and they offered $25. I will never work for them again.
Seriously 570 pages. What are they thinking? Does everyone in the office require their own set of documents?

1 Like

Oh my word. No way. 570 pages? Do they think you’re a printing service!!??

2 Likes

Unfortunately, that’s EXACTLY what’s happening! The human Notary Signing Agent is being replaced by AI and the lower offers from desperate newbies is just part of the transition. I’m only comfortable with at least 4 streams of income. NSA is just one of them. Clinging on to this industry will be a mistake, in my opinion!

8 Likes

That’s very impressive, I have six streams of income but I thought on average people couldn’t handle more then two to three streams of income so that’s very good.

4 Likes

Wow! Six? I only have five. LOL

3 Likes

I only expect people to handle no more then three anything over three is pretty impressive or times are just changing I know there’s a lot of people that have bachelors degrees now so I think average intelligence keeps getting better.

2 Likes

It’s a lot to manage but I’m resourceful :wink: Hello to my fellow hard working friend!

1 Like