The Closing Exchange

I did my first and last closing for them since they took over Notary Direct & Skye Closings this past Monday. The closing was at 6:00pm, past the last pick-up time at the local drop box. I dropped these docs that night after closing which were overnight standard delivery. I received not one but three calls on Thursday afternoon asking where the documents were. Telling me, not asking that I needed to track the package and that it was my responsibility. Ummm, excuse me, it is not my responsibility. They said they had no way to track it because they sent me the only tracking slip…Really, they’re not smart enough to look up or keep that information? I wouldn’t have had a problem tracking it if they would have asked me instead of demanding. Then the 3rd supervisor I spoke to had the audacity to tell me I wasn’t going to be paid because I was refusing to track the package and that I had not dropped it. I did track the package, not for them but for myself and received confirmation that it was delivered the afternoon before sitting in the mail room. Needless to say they received a call back from me…they’re not headed in the right direction that’s for sure!

2 Likes

Ouch! That certainly isn’t a good start for a new SS. So all their hype on their site about technology…and they haven’t enough sense to keep a record of the tracking number? Sad.

4 Likes

Whoa. They sound like they’re out to lunch. Saying they won’t pay you because you would not track a package seems like breach of contract to me, because payment is for the signing, not the tracking. I hope you sent an invoice and an extensive email on this one.

Sky closings and Notary Direct both have bad reputations for not paying and offering unfair fees, so my guess is nothing has changed just because they have a new name,

3 Likes

Thanks for this info. I just did a job for Skye before they were bought out. Nervous now.

That’s what I thought. She said she sent me the only tracking slip so I told her she could look it up and that’s when she said it was my responsibility. I don’t think they knew how to look it up be honest with you.

2 Likes

Oh yes, I first made a phone call after I tracked the pkg which confirmed it was sitting in their mailroom to advise them to first check the office before calling the notary and accusing them of not dropping and threatening to not pay. I kindly told them to remove me from their list. I never did closings for Notary Direct or Skye Closings because of their very low fees but I thought I would give The Closing Exchange a try since the fee offered was a little more than the usual but never again.

3 Likes

Smart move to get off their list.

Although I do appreciate your opinion but do not appreciate your rudeness! I always take to a manned location up until last pick up and do get receipts. On this particular day, I went ahead and dropped in the drop box since it was after hours and because I was headed out of town early the next morning and wouldn’t be able to get to a manned location. Occasionally this happens. What I disagreed with was them telling me it was my responsibility to track the pkg and if I didn’t I wouldn’t be paid because I had the only tracking slip, They did not have the tracking information period. You would think they would be smart enough or have sense enough to keep a copy of the tracking info for their records or be smart enough to look up the information. I will gladly give them all the information I have but, NO IT IS NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY TO TRACK THE PACKAGE FOR THEM!

1 Like

Wow… I mean WOW…
I never work for signing companies, that harass and micro manage their notaries. PERIOD!! Thanks foe sharing this. They are on my black list now.
Next I always let the title & settlement know this unprofessional & harassing behavior.

Now, it is not always easy to find a manned location in some areas. What then? Miss the pickup time & keep driving extra miles to manned location for free , especially when fees are low.
If I do find a FedEx ( not FedEx ground) or UPS express truck, I just hand over the envelope to the driver.

Designing agencies text contract especially because they are able to track and provide status to their clients and it is their job to do it. That is why they keep a big Commission and they better earn it

1 Like

I’m assuming you don’t have the tracking number at all to track it? Didn’t you have the shipping label in PDF ?
I usually take a cell phone picture snapshot off the return shipping label, if the documents on the shipping label there mailed to me, prior to dropping them.

1 Like

Notary direct was horrible. $60 fees and 60 harassing calls & being micro managed. I dumped them.

Now these worst agencies merged and created this mega monster?

2 Likes

Kbrennan, I agree it is not your responsibility to track the package for them but it is your responsibility to have the tracking number available. When I let the SS know that the signing has been completed I also tell them that the package was dropped with FedEx or UPS via TK# xxxx-xxxx-xxxx. That way if they want they can track it. Often the documents are emailed to the notary directly along with the shipping label, so the SS does not know the TK#. A small amount of extra effort on the notaries part will go a long way with the SS and the title companies. The threat of not paying you was most likely a reaction to your refusal to help locate the package.

1 Like

Thanks for replying Angie and thanks for the info. I’ll probably never see my money either. They sure got off to a great start with quite a few notaries I hear.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply…I do always keep the tracking # and would not have had a problem helping them track the pkg but from the very start they demanded I track it because it was my responsibility then threatened to not pay. Thank you for the tip, I have since started adding the tracking# to my closing emails.

2 Likes

I did have the tracking# but they started the conversation off demanding I track because it was my responsibility, that’s when I told them it was not my responsibility. The whole conversation would have ended differently if they would have asked and not been so rude. I did track the pkg for myself and found that it was sitting in the mailroom. The 3 different people I spoke to were all very unprofessional and rude. You are right, they have created a Mega Monster! I too have handed a pkg to a driver, it’s not a location but it’s the next best thing.

1 Like

Very unprofessional and I don’t like micromanagement. Let us notaries join together & blacklist and boycott companies like these.

4 Likes

You don’t have to cave in. I would have told them in one simple word, to earn the commission that they make and do a good job at it. Yes of course I wouldn’t want to work with such a company again.

These glorified Messengers cannot do one simple job that they get paid for??

These companies tout, tracking & status update as value add service, Trend procuring business from title companies and lenders.

They take the documents and then upload it and send it to you. It’s not rocket science to glean the tracking number of the original shipping label that they sent you.

1 Like

Ditto for me. I did my one and only, they called me demanding the tracking info, I told them not a problem however no instruction were ever given on their confirmation form. Because didn’t read their minds I will never see payment.

Also, they completely low balled me, wanting to pay 25.00 for a deed, I told them 50.00. I think they accepted my fee because they never planned to pay me. When i got to the siging it was a refi not a simple deed.

1 Like

Gary, I agree with you. I make it a practice to always e-mail the tracking information…I understand K’s frustration. Many of the people on the other end are young, inexperienced and not trained in customer services. Sounds like K did everything a responsible notary would do. Don’t sweat the small stuff.

Now if its about getting paid, that’s a completely different scenario. (lol)

1 Like