The Uptown Law Firm

Hello,
Does anybody have any experience with this law firm? They contacted me about saying that they are looking for real estate closing notaries to handle closings such as HELOCs, Refinances, and Purchases for major national title companies.

1 Like

Sounds like a nice lead - I’d contact them and see what they have in mind - they’re in South Carolina, an attorney-only state, so they may be looking for a go-to notary

You may have just struck gold. I’d call the office and see if they really did send out that email. Don’t respond to the email or click on any links they send - call them

Good Luck! Keep us posted.

1 Like

Agreed with Linda… I never click or answer before I know for sure is legit. A well put company has website and telephone numbers listed with phone company directory.

1 Like

Thank you Ladies! I have one other question. Would they ask for the following information?

1. Copy of Updated Resume

2. Copy of Driving License

3. Copy of Notary Seal and Commission

4. A Professional Head Shot

5. Make and Model of your Car

If any company asked me for that - law firm, title company, SS, whatever - all they’d get from me is a copy of my commission, a brief description of my experience and certifications (shortened resume) and MAYBE a photo - never would i send them a copy of my DL, my seal and they have no need for the make and model of my car. I’m an independent contractor - I’m not their employee.

Jeez - did they really ask for this?

I was thinking the same thing. I see their website and phone directory. I’m going to give them a call just to clarify and easy my mind.

Google them. Don’t give info. They are probably outside recruiters. Stick with notary cafe. Notary rotary to get business

1 Like

Signature Closers asks for Make, Model and Plates. I thought it was for security so signers know who to expect. That’s the same impression I had for the picture. DL for ID maybe… Am I giving out too much information?

1 Like

My own personal opinion, and my own personal preferences, I would not give them that information. Suppose you take another vehicle to the closing? And do they really think the client is going to come out and check your license plate?

2 Likes

True, Signature Closers ask for car make, model and year… the only thing they’re missing is for the insurance :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Believe it or not there WAS a company that wanted a copy of car insurance too…needless to say they didn’t get that either…lol!

2 Likes

Ok, but did you still do the signing?

I’ve worked with them before with no issues

I have done a lot of work for Uptown Law here in NC and they have been great. A very good company to work for in my young opinion.

Do your research. The Uptown Law Firm, LLC | Better Business Bureau® Profile

There is only 1 complaint which appears to be from a Borrower so I don’t think that speaks to the company as a whole. I have a good working relationship with them. I have completed quite a few closings for them. There have been a few issues with communication. Documentation is the key. They are fairly new from what I can see so I believe they are working out some kinks. I stick to my guns on issues while being very professional. We work well together. They pay well and they pay timely which is always hard to find in this field. I think they are great to work with.

I have done several signings for them. They are good and so far I haven’t had any issues with them. They do include some docs that I don’t print because there isn’t anything for the customer to sign and it looks like it’s old loan docs that they just want to be included in the package. I mentioned to them that I didn’t print those because none required signatures and they were ok with it.

Just wanting to add my first (and ONLY) experience with Uptown Law Firm:

• I received a call from them on December 18, 2020 around 1:00 for a signing that evening at 6:00. VA refi. The scheduler was very hard to understand. I had to ask him to repeat information multiple times. Offered a very fair rate, but stated the signing would be in Anytown (15 miles from me). I accepted and called the borrowers to confirm. Turns out the signing would actually be in Anyville (40 miles from me). I called them back and the scheduler insisted he had told me Anyville. They did up the rate by $50 so I said I would do it.

• Documents were ready and I arrived to appointment on time. Signing went smoothly.

• Since the signing was late they did request I fax back full package, which I did that night. Dropped physical documents first thing the next morning and emailed my invoice to the email address they provided me.

• January 20 I had not received a check. Emailed invoice again. No response from them

• Feb 1 emailed invoice again. No response. Called and left a VM. No response.

• Feb 23 received a call from them for another assignment. Told the scheduler I was still awaiting payment for job I completed in December and I was not interested in working with them again until that was settled. He was very apologetic and said he would look into it. He also gave me an email address (different from the one originally supplied to me) to send the invoice to again.

• Feb 23 received a reply via email apologizing for the error and assuring me the payment had be submitted and would be released on March 16.

• March 16 I emailed to check that the payment had been released. Received an immediate reply that it had and the check would be sent out the next day.

• March 24 I emailed again that I had not received the check.

• March 26 (Friday) received a reply that the check had not been sent yet because THEY RAN OUT OF CHECKS! But that the check had been cut that morning and would be overnighted to me.

• March 29 (Monday) still no check. I sent a very stern email requesting a tracking number and confirmation of what address it was sent to.

• March 29 received a phone call from their Funding Manager stating that she herself had cut the check on Friday and personally sent it out, but not overnight as they only had my PO Box address on file (never once was asked for a physical address for payment).

• April 6 finally received the check. Envelope was postmarked MARCH 30! So they had not sent the check on the 26th as they had stated to me.

I personally will not ever work for them again. I understand that accounting issues happen, it was the dishonesty regarding when the check was sent that I will not tolerate.

How did you get in contact with them or sign up? I’ve been trying for someone now and even their website doesn’t seem to work

They contacted me. I think another notary requested the assignment to be reassigned and they were desperate (hence last minute notification). They are very hard to get ahold of. Honestly, I would not bother signing up with them.