Title Companies Don't Need Us

My personal view on this subject matter revolves around business in general. I have a personal motto that has helped me with business decisions: “double the time and double the money” gets you to the finish line. If the money doesn’t make sense then walk away from the deal. Direct marketing is a good way to feel out your local market and may not be a good fit. I have been doing this work for four years now and can say that everything takes time to build. The one cliché that can be said is to never give up. I don’t buy into get rich schemes. The belief that a new person can make X dollars out of the gate is not a false statement but rather a mathematical anomaly.

3 Likes

Steinbergnsa would love you to elaborate on HOW you go about finding the National companies in more detail, if you would be so kind.

Can you explain how one can search out attorney states and escrow states please?

I must admit, as I’m trying to launch my own business, I keep my eyes and ears in Georgia, where I live.
I believe there are only about 5-7 attorney states in the whole country.
Off the top, I know GA, NY, MA, VA, NC are attorney states. And EACH of these states have their own unique way of doing things.
In general though, in GA we need an attorney (usually on the phone) to describe the conveyance of property, and the CD; answer any questions borrower might have. Here, attorneys MUST be involved in ALL closings. So for me, the work can come from refis, loan modifications, quit claim deeds and many other things. (But in GA the # of witnesses needed for proper recording is different).

Something tells me though, by the time you read this answer, you’ve already ferretted out the answer.

NOTE: Know the laws of YOUR state, back and forth. It’s helped me immensely & I’ve been onboarded by some high-paying title companies from OTHER states, because I said, “Here’s how it’ll record properly in GA…”
Yeppers…

1 Like

You’ve said a mouthful!
I literally have TRAINED myself to be happy for the high-out-the-gate earners in ESCROW states… while completely IGNORING what they’re saying. (Of course they’re so busy with GREAT workloads, they’ve got NO reason to know how to LSAs in attorney states, their amazing success sounds like it’s coming from a space alien).
Now, I’m not saying a $10K month doesn’t happen in attorney states… but it’s like UNICORNs, very rare. I’d be happy to snare $3,000 a month… regularly, with a few break out months, because my personal circumstances can work with that. But others need more.

Back to my grind… here in Georgia… an attorney state.
Never. Stop. Grinding.
Get UP early EVERYDAY.
Do it again! If this doesn’t work, ill try that.

2 Likes

I will go back to San Francisco To work that wonderful job you had, Notary work is volatile, only the pros, can make a good living, I am a new notary battling seasoned Notaries taking low ball offers from me!

True, but in order to become a certified signing agent, you’d have to spend more.

My hometown? San Francisco. I used to work, morning anchor on KPIX (with Ross McGowan).
I’m FIFTH GENERATION Berkeley, to be exact… too homesick to tell you, or anybody else.

But the housing market in SF Bay area is OBSCENE.
So I’m in Georgia now. I’m too old for apartments, roommates and every other compromise folks make just to remain in the SF Bay area.

But as an LSA… you will SCOOP up money in California.
All the best to you. If you’ve got housing worked out, I’d say, “GO FOR IT.”

2 Likes

10k/month to 20k/month in Utah. 150k in 2020. Very interesting lol. Meanwhile in TN…

Too good to be true! plain BS…

Correct, you do have to spend more to be a “Certified Signing Agent”, but if you work for the title company, that certification isn’t required. I managed a Bank for years and all we needed was someone in the branch who had their Notary to close a loan. There are quite a bit of other revenue streams you can tap into utilizing your Notary stamp. Fingerprinting, Notary Permit Runner, etc.

1 Like

Hey Noble I’m so sorry that you’re having a tough time. It’s definitely not easy. I’ve been a LSA for 6 years now. I primarily work direct and I do make those type of figures. Here is the thing yes Escrow Officers are already notaries which is why they do their own closings. The reason why they would pass it on to someone like us is because the signer is either unavailable during office hours, can’t or won’t come to the office, or the EOs is booked solid for the day and they need help. Now don’t assume my tone here I just want to be very honest with you but EOs have a really tough job. They can be happy one min then pissed off the next because they get the bulk of the blame from clients, lenders, realtors, even when it’s not their fault, so coming by with a resume and fun treats they are really not going to care because they are in fact too busy. There are other notaries out there who did just what you did. You have to figure out what makes you different from all the other notaries. What makes you authentically you? Whatever that is that’s what you market to them and there are different ways instead of going from office to office. I never did. Now that I have built a relationship with these title companies during the holidays I go to the offices and pass out the treats. I’m able to walk right in and front desk not even care. There is a whole list of things that I can give you that would take too long for me to type. But if you’re willing your more than welcomed to shoot me an email at FirstFruitSolutions@outlook.com and we can set a time to chat. I would love to help you in anyway I can. It may go to spam so let me know if you sent me an email and I’ll make sure to look for ya.

7 Likes

Hello,

I am in Nashville and I am getting probably 4 to 5 signings a day. I don’t take them all for one reason or another. May I ask if what companies you have signed up with?

I took Mark’s class back in November. It was the best out of the three I took. I wasn’t interested in working directly with title companies at that point. I just use signing services and get pretty good work. I live in a rural area, so I travel a lot because there aren’t many signings in my local area and my closest FedEx center is about a 35 minute drive away. I’ve had a pretty steady income. My best month I made about $5200 and I worked hard to get that, but I average about $3K a month which works fine for me. I have picked up some direct business but definitely not local. There are a couple of title companies that operate about 2-3 hours away and they usually call me once or twice a week for signings. Maybe try marketing your services to title companies not so local. If I decide to go direct, that’s what I’ll be doing, marketing to title companies that potentially do closings in my general area but too far to send their own staff to do them. Good Luck!

3 Likes

So what are you saying, exactly? Can you explain?

If I could LOVE this post, I would. Here’s what I can tell you -
I’ve been doing this since October. Lost another business of 16 years due to the pandemic. I’m a business person…I network and I market myself as much as I can and I have contacts from before that are helping me get my foot into the doors.
I used my prior connections to help me. My Realtor friends are the ones that are getting me in the doors with Title companies. They are putting their names on the line and stating that I’m their go-to person for their signings. That has been my saving grace. Now, I also live in a rural area, and the few direct companies I am with are in this same area. They get their docs back immediately after a signing, and I will also drop whatever I can to help them out.
I’ve done what was preached in the program you are talking about, and I was turned down as well. Basically, it goes back to the old adage: “it’s who you know”. That’s been my help along the way.
Now - there are Realtors who have assistants who do their signings AND there are closers that also work in Title offices. I just keep on moving. You never know when a day will come along where they will need you. I did not bring treats, I just left my cards if I couldn’t get past the gatekeeper. I also asked “what signing services do you use” and I followed up with emails a few weeks after I dropped everything off.
Meanwhile, when I’m not busy, I’ll take signings from signing services. I’m big on working smarter, not harder and if I can clear 10-12 signings a week, I’m more than happy.
Next, I really hit up the assisted living facilities in my area and the hospitals. It’s great extra money to fill those gaps.
You look like a true professional, and that alone, will set you apart. I hope these tips will help you.

3 Likes

I don’t even have to watch this one. I’ve seen him before. He has a customized office in his new van. He actually had furniture and everything made to order so he can work on the road. These are the people he interviews. These aren’t your typical loan signing agents. It’s very deceptive. I wouldn’t take his class just because he’s full of crap in my opinion.

5 Likes

It’s tough I try to convey a message and people can’t understand me

Who is using these signing services, then?

1 Like

Thank you very much. That was awesome advice!