Today I've learned that I will not accept no signing under $125

No it is HP old laser one. Looking to upgrade :slight_smile: And in my case / any case backscannes are required immediately after signing and before mailing.
Thank you for your response

1 Like

I definitely cannot take those $85
 why??? 95% of the offers are between 20-45 minutes drive, I even get 1 hr and 15 minutes away from me. My car usage must be added to my math; gas gallon is $3.99 in my area.

9 Likes

Your math is good. Since each market has a different cost of doing business, your numbers will be different than mine. Keep in mind that revealing my numbers helps my competition not me. There are some things that savvy business owners known “when when to hold em, and know when to show them, and know when to walk away” from a low ball offer.

If you’re looking for business coaching, find a trusted individual that’s not working your service area, that way there’s no conflict of interests.

5 Likes

My old printer was the https://www.staples.com/Brother-HL-L6200DW-Mono-Laser-Printer/product_2072143?ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=2072143&KPID=2072143&cid=PS:GS:SBD:PLA:CO&msclkid=6b1df83d4a381b44e2c5980b9470f7e3&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=[ADL]%20[Staples]%20[Shopping]%20[Co-op]%200121%20-%20Brother%20Printers&utm_term=4582214711567856&utm_content=[ADL]%20[Staples]%20[Shopping]%20[Co-op]%200121%20-%20Brother%20Printers&adlclid=6b1df83d4a381b44e2c5980b9470f7e3 and it worked great when I first started out. I now have a Canon C350IF I bought used from a local printing company for $1000. I pay $20 a month for maintenance which includes toner and the drums. It also scans and faxes too. My old scanner was the HP scanjet 2500 which has a feed tray for up to 50 pages so it made it a lot easier.

3 Likes

Unfortunately I can’t do the math for you on this for one plain, simple reason: I do not calculate my profit (or my losses) from a single signing. Unlike most signing agents, I don’t look at an individual signing and its fee to determine if its “worth it”. I know what my profit margin needs to be based on my businesses structure, its overhead, etc. I also know that I like to pay myself weekly from the business. Based on this info it tells me how much money I need to bring in total for the week. Sometimes I can accomplish this goal by doing 30 signings in a week, and sometimes I can do it in 10. So as I get closer to the end of the week and crunch my numbers, I have to either take in more work and/or work longer hours to reach my profit goal for the week. Again, I can not stress it enough LOCATION (DISTANCE) is a key factor in this (logistics). So I look at whether my week was “worth it” or not. You win some, you lose some, but I know this much
 taking in $0 equals $0 at the end of the day whether you look at the signing or the week. By taking the assignment, yeah you may lose on money, but you’ll gain on experience and reputation. Experience helps you learn the “ins and outs” of the game and how you can make them work for you. Reputation gets more work coming your way so that it “all adds up” at the end of the day. (I’m a poet and didn’t even know it)
lol

15 Likes

I can tell that you really need to get better equipment, as it has been said before.

I have 3 Brother MFC-L6900DW and all of them have at least dual trays, the house printer has three trays. They are workhorses!!!

One printer for the house, one printer hard-wired to a power supply in my van (yes, dual tray), and one brand new printer in the box because I like the model. My model prints and scans very fast and is under $800. I also no longer buy after-market toner and drums, so I never have to worry about printing issues and my equipment last so much longer.

Your time is valuable and spending hours on scan-backs is ridiculous. This is why I have a printer in my van. I can print full-sets, trailing documents, and do scan-backs if I need them from the road since I have the same antenna and cradle point internet access that they use in police cars. I can hardware or wifi from it.

I have invested thousands into being able to do this. The investment helped me double my income last year to $50,000 (no lie, I pay my taxes), all working part-time so I can finish my bachelor’s degree this May. I don’t accept junk gigs, and scan-backs are hardly an issue as I rarely have to do them.

I can accept jobs while I am in the field and after 15 minutes of printing I am on my way. Beep! Beep!

If you want to stop killing yourself, get the equipment.

12 Likes

My time is valued at much higher than a $70 signing. The only $70 appts I take are local car purchase deals where the company overnights the car purchase documents to me and all I do is a quick signing. For refinance and purchase signings - my fees range from $150-$175 if the company overnights docs (rare) and anywhere from $200-$300 and even higher if distance involved. I work as a mortgage processor out of my home FT so I don’t have time to do them as anything other than a side hustle. My prices get negotiated on case by case basis and influenced by how busy i am with my day job. I take calls and tell the reps I am going to decline the order and they come back to me asking when CAN I do it and what fee will change my mind. They will pay higher fees if it comes down to it but if agents keep accepting the low fees in your area, then NO they won’t. It’s up to the agents to start refusing the low fees. How much is YOUR time worth? Are you happy with $15 / hour? Because I’m not. I average $36 / hour at my day job so I demand the equivalent plus enough to cover my expenses on my signings. I also refuse orders with scanbacks /faxbacks and the majority of the time they waive the requirement for those and still hire me.

5 Likes

Why in the world are you using a printer with a $34 cartridge ??? You need to invest in a Brother dual tray printer 
 or a printer closer to a small business commercial grade level. You also need to invest in an Epson scanner 
 you can scan 200 pages in less than 10 minutes!!!

7 Likes

I am working on it to improve equipment. Thank you!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing . Definitely I will invest in better equipment . And good luck with bachelor’s degree

2 Likes

and that is not adding your self employment taxes of 15% that you will need to pay to the IRS from all your earnings.

I did exactly what you did, and in dismay, I told myself: I am really loosing money, time, energy, doing it without profits, really/
The way I see it is that the underwritter gets thousands of dollars to approve the loans
 the notary does the leg work to get documents signed, but the services undervalued. That needs to change!

1 Like

What about the taxes on the self employment?

1 Like

Notaries are exempt to self employment taxes.

1 Like

That’s not quite correct. ONLY the notarization fee is exempt. Example: Notary fee in your state is $10/notarization. Refi pkg.with total fee of $100 has 5 notarizations @ $10 ea. = $50 deductible from SE tax and the remaining $50 is not deductible. (And, no, if there were 11 notarizations in the pkg, you can only deduct the full $100 fee and CANNOT ‘carry over’ the remain8ing $10 to the next signing.)

18 Likes

Ah, good to know. Thanks

1 Like

In the state I live in there is no a set fee schedule. I am not under that same criteria.

2 Likes

That’s a game-changer.

4 Likes

I am with you on this
I do not accept signings under $125.00. I counter offer and never get the assignment. This is absolutely ridiculous, it clearly shows that they do not value this service. Plus if you live in the state of Maryland you cannot sign without a Tile Producer License, which is quite expensive. I dont understand how people do these closings for under 100.00 period

9 Likes

You can get a brother all in one that will scan that entire package in less than 10-15 minutes. And it has the best automatic compression software so a package that large will email/upload without file size issues. You definitely need to upgrade your printer if it takes 2 hours to print that. I would also have that done in less than 10 minutes.
I am an old timer so I am attached forever to my HP4250/4350 B&W printers with dual trays (letter & legal). You can usually pick one up for under $500 on craigslist and it will last you years and years. Another outlet to buy them is with local print and repair shops. To bonus you will pick up a reliable person to fix it when something goes wrong, and eventually it will. I now have a contract with a local one that includes toner! With 100% service I never pay more than .01-.03 per page.
I have 2, plus the brother all in one. Printing with paper and ink should not cost more than .03 a page. Buy in bulk whenever possible.

4 Likes

Amen, You are working at a lose if you take any closing for less then $125 in your area. We charge extra for every county we go to or thru. We are here to make a profit not break even.

5 Likes