Today was Amazing

I am on Snapdocs and can see orders coming in, even though I am not accepting until I get my certification. So, here’s how it went down.

I saw an order come in yesterday for a remote area for a loan signing…$45.

Even though I knew I would not be going out yet, I said I could not attend because the price was too low, and I said they should have it at at least $100.

The exact same order came in this morning, and the price was raised to $65. I said the price was too low due to the remote area.

Finally, this afternoon the exact same order came in…for $100. I don’t know if anyone snatched it up or not.

What I do know is that I have seen the power of notaries taking a stand against such low paying gigs. As a new notary, and soon to be a certified signing agent, this is very inspiring to me.

8 Likes

You got that right! Thanks for spreading the word. In my area, I see that scenario ALL. THE. TIME.

3 Likes

Well Done! At The End Of The Day It Affects All Of Us. Not Just New Notaries.

4 Likes

Yes, we all as Notaries need to stand together against low fees. If we join in together we will hold the POWER!! Because we are certainly a lot cheaper then retraining an attorney and majority of the time on short notice.
I wish we could start a Union.

3 Likes

I am not understanding this statement. We cannot give legal advice, so it seems to me there is no comparison between a signing agent and an attorney. Can you please elaborate?

Yes, I will gladly elaborate. A lot of companies are using attorneys to close their loans plus in the state of Georgia and a few others; only an attorney can close on any type of Real Property loan. There are also a lot of companies that only use paralegals here in Florida (fortunately for me). But you are exactly right, a notary can not give any advise. You can read what is in documents if asked. But be careful not advise the borrower on any of the content. But have them to contact the Title Company, Realtor or their attorney if applicable. I hope this answers your question.

1 Like

Thank you for explaining, Bonita. It does answer my question. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for sharing This is good news!

Yes, I will gladly elaborate. A lot of companies are using attorneys to close their loans plus in the state of Georgia and a few others; only an attorney can close on any type of Real Property loan. There are also a lot of companies that only use paralegals here in Florida (fortunately for me). But you are exactly right, a notary can not give any advise. You can read what is in documents if asked. But be careful not advise the borrower on any of the content. But have them to contact the Title Company, Realtor or their attorney if applicable. I hope this answers your question.

This is mostly correct. As a certified signing agent in Florida as well, I have also conducted signings on properties in GA, NC, SC, etc. that are attorney states, when the borrower is signing in Florida. You just have to have the attorney on the phone for questions if needed to conduct, FYI

1 Like

Thank you, Pat. Very interesting.

Why do you need to wait to get your certification? If you are versed in loan documents, that is feel comfortable and know what the forms are, then you don’t need to become certified.

Certification yes, its preferred by some hiring parties, however, it shouldn’t stop anyone from actually completing closings.

I am a real estate paralegal and before I even heard of “certification”, I knew what I was doing and could close on any type of loan. I did get certified because its was required by some of my best clients years ago. However, if it wasn’t for that, I wouldn’t have wasted my money.

Good luck to you Susan! :slight_smile:

The only time you see the same order offered again with increased fees is when they can’t fill it. A lot depends on the location, time and how many notaries it went out to originally. For example, if you get an offer for a signing out in the boondocks at midnight, you’re not going to get a lot of takers…especially if the fee is ridiculously low. In those cases, you’ll see the fee get raised, incrementally, until someone takes the job. In general, though. you’re 100% correct. The only way to combat low fees is to reject them as a group. Unfortunately, in most cases, there is always someone who will take the job at the low fee offered.

1 Like

Thanks for the good luck! I am now certified after taking a class. I was not comfortable doing closings without certification.

Thank you very much, Steve!

1 Like