What Are Your Fees

It is inadvisable to ask others what their fees are because it could be construed as Price Fixing which is a violation of Federal Anti-Trust Law. This is a VERY slippery slope.

No one is offended–however, you asked what others were charging–which could be taken as price fixing and is a violation of Federal Anti-Trust Law. Discussing fees in that context could land you in court and ultimately prison. They don’t care about your intentions.

And what would you call when all these signing companies following each other’s fee policies and offering notaries super low low fee across the nation?
Anti-Pay?

And what about those companies who don’t pay notaries at all, shouldn’t they be in jail?

2 Likes

Business is business…

Certainly that’s your opinion. In no way did I suggest price fixing by asking a question. I did not suggest, recommend or state in any way that everyone should charge a certain price. Wow, you took that and ran with it in a narrow way of thinking.
Where is it written that “it’s inadvisable to ASK what are an individual’s fees”. Calm down chick, you putting more into it than it really is. I am well versed on the law and in no way have I suggested anything illegal, and thank God I didn’t trip on the slippery slope, because I certainly know better.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response.

1 Like

Good. No one was offended. By the way, there are 3 Federal Anti-trust Acts, so which one were you referring to? Sherman Anti-trust Act, Clayton Act or the Federal Trade Commission Act. Let me help you…
The Clayton Antitrust Act is a piece of legislation, passed by the U.S. Congress and signed into law in 1914, that defines unethical business practices, such as price fixing and monopolies, and upholds various rights of labor.
Now clearly I did not break any laws.

1 Like

My dear, all you did was sharing what you are charging which is very helpful to other new notaries in this forum who can’t decide what to charge and they take whatever comes their way which is crazy low fees causing a domino effect across the country!
We see many posts from new notaries asking what to do with fees!

1 Like

Do you own your own SS?

You can list your fees all you want :innocent: It’s no different in my view than publishing a brochure that shows your fees. What of it?! Of course, we all have to exercise restraint so as not to run afoul of the price-fixing boogie-man, however.

On a separate but related issue, all this talk about unionizing really doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. Every state has different laws governing notary work. Some states only allow attorneys to do this kind of work. Fees vary greatly. Besides all that, what leverage would we have over SS/TC/EC/Lenders? Go on strike? Work slowdowns? Unionizing would just drive those companies to hire/train their own notaries and crush the independents like most of us.
Nah, unionizing is a fool’s gambit in my mind. We can’t even reach agreement on what printer to use on this forum; imagine trying to bring 10,000 notaries together on almost any issue other than fees.
Just me talkin’ out loud. Never been a union kinda guy, I guess. No dues, no shop steward, no political pressure. No work rules. Yeech.

5 Likes

You crack me up but you are 100% correct!

3 Likes

Speaking of fees, I think the notaries in my area are over booking themselves with low fees because NationalLink called me this morning at 7am to squeeze in another loan at a nice fee for Friday’s closing. And I’m not cheap either!

1 Like

You are so right. No one is unionizing at all. That was never the topic.

Yeah, but some folks continue to float the unionizing topic and I thought this was a good place to stick in a word or two about it. No worries :grimacing:

1 Like

I’m here for the comments about why we shouldn’t post our fees! I don’t mind sharing my fees and also seeing what others share( if they do).
I don’t believe it’s a problem mostly because McDonald’s and Burger King share thier costs :woman_shrugging:t5:

1 Like

My website shows my fees. My brochure that I hand out to prospects shows my fees. When asked, I quote my fees. I don’t see anything wrong with disclosing your fees. They are your fees, after all. Knowing them doesn’t alter what I charge. We may be in entirely different arenas and our fees must be suitable with what they market expects. I am neutral on what other may charge for notary work. If you wish to reveal your fees, I’m with you :innocent:

3 Likes

Thank you @Bobby-CA.

Thank you @vizionzmobilenotary. You are so right.

1 Like

Would you like me to post a picture of my house too? Geez……

1 Like

No, just the car for now… we dont want to offend anyone! :slight_smile: jk

1 Like