What is the best way to carry large document packages around? (Legal and Letter sized pages)

I am sure many of us are familiar with having to carrying around 200 page loan documents around from point A to point B, sometimes back to point A for scanning, and then shipping at point C. Currently I use big binder clips to hold the document together, but I have been very clumsily carrying them around in a regular plastic folder inside of a laptop bag. It gets even more awkward to carry around when there is letter and legal size document mixes inside the package. Add to that having to carry around a second 200 page set.

So the question is… there has to be a better way then what I am doing. How have you (the community of notary veterans) been transporting your documents in an easy manner and in perfect condition?

This is what I use. It’s stylish, professional, and sexy, with a combination lock as well. Can fit legal size docs with space for more. $600. It’s real leather and made well. You may find fake ones for cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

On sale for $300.

3 Likes

Nice case, noblenotary615!

I prefer a soft sided bag with a shoulder strap, but the principle is the same; it establishes me as a professional, it keeps my documents under control, and it allows me to carry all my supplies.

I use classified folders for each order. They provide a smooth flat surface for signing, keep my papers clean, and help maintain organization during the signing.

4 Likes

I use a Plastic envelope for the documents that need to be signed. I give the client there copy of the doucments in a 3 sided pendaflex folder. I find this more professional and they like that I am not handing them documents with a rubber band or binder clip on them. I only carry in the documents for their signing.

1 Like

I got a rolling briefcase at goodwill for $7. It was dusty but clean. I got tired of lifting the laptop bag over my shoulder.

1 Like

This looks good. Very obvious you are a professional carrying around something like this. What do you use to keep your documents from shuffling around the bag during transit?

The pendaflex folders are a great idea. I will definitely look into these. Thank you!

This has been my internal debate for a while. Between getting a briefcase style bag or a soft sided one. I like the protection a briefcase gives but I often have to squeeze my bag in small areas like a small car trunk, making the soft one easier to handle. I have yet to decide.

This is a fantastic idea. The rolling case would come in handy to save wear and tear in suits to.

1 Like

I don’t keep loose paper in there. I package documents in open end clasp legal size envelopes. 1 for title and 1 for the signer. I also have a folder in there for extra documents I bring (acknowledgements and jurats), 2 legal size clipboards, pens, stamp, business cards, and notary journal. I love organization lmao messiness is ugly to me. It’s honestly so satisfying to pop the case open. Like, every time :smile:

3 Likes

I got a roll-around briefcase on Amazon back in the day … Enough room to carry docs and supplies, also able to retract handle and carry in by hand when entering the home (no scratching the floors)

Packages going back to title were bound with with a strong elastic band (less weight) and signers got their copies clipped into a manila folder with my business card on the front

Worked for me

2 Likes

@brianmirante1 I’ve used these barrister cases for more than 12 years. They’re not made of leather, but look like leather. These cases are sturdy, reliable, & have multiple inner compartments to keep everything neat, tidy, & very organized. It has a very sturdy frame with wheels, is TSA approved, secure dual combination locks, and there’s a telescoping handle. Overall, this barrister case ticks every box on a strongly desired list of needs/wants. There’s even a zippered pouch inside that I store multiple pens for the signers to utilize (& then to keep). There AMPLE storage to contain all supplies & additional space sufficient to store document sets for two signings (4 sets of docs).

Exterior Measurements: 19" x 14" x 9"
Interior Measurements: 17" x 13 1/4" x 7 1/2".

As @LindaH-FL indicates above, I do carry my case when crossing the threshold of the home/office/etc. As you indicate, if space is a concern, you may want to consider other options.

:swan:

I have my assistants carry everything. :wink:

4 Likes

Since I began in 2019 I’ve always put all the docs that are to be signed in the FedEx or UPS envelope I’ll be sending them in. Their copy I put into an appropriate sized manila folder with my business card stapled to the front. This folder I put into my carry all.

When I ring the doorbell, I have my notary bag over one arm and the shipping envelope with the prepared docs tucked in the other. Hope that helps!

3 Likes

For each signing appointment, I place 2 sets of the loan docs into a separate expandable file folder:

You can get them in a 10-pack. Use one expandable folder per loan signing. Under the flap I place the labeled shipping envelope (I write the order number/hiring company/borrower last name written inside the flap of the shipping envelope so there is no chance the loan docs are being sent to the wrong location) and under the folder cord I put the signing assignment with location address is visible so I can plug it into my GPS.

I prefer to hand carry the folder or use a shoulder bag for multiple folders rather than a rolling cart because I live in the Pacific Northwest and I don’t want the wheels to roll in the rain and muck and then track into the borrower’s home.

Can you even buy briefcases anymore? They seemed to disappear years ago. I used an old one to carry my documents around for about 6 years when I started in this business. Then it finally fell apart and you can’t find those in the stores anymore. I use a laptop bag now to carry my documents and supplies around in. It’s adequate for the purpose I use it for, even if it wasn’t designed for that.

1 Like

This option has a lot of things going for it. I like it alot. It is like a cross between a rolling bag and a briefcase. It also maintains the professional look.

1 Like

This is amazing. I didn’t know these existed. (I am not well acquainted with office supplies). But I think I will start using these immediately no matter what type of bag I end up choosing.

1 Like

Hopefully I will get there eventually :sweat_smile:

This sounds like it saves a lot of time. I had not thought about carrying the fedex boxes on hand with me and using them to store the documents.