What is the best way to carry large document packages around? (Legal and Letter sized pages)

Lots of good information here. It never crossed my mind to double sided print the borrowers copy set. It sounds like a really good idea. My only question is, if the borrower makes a mistake on the documents, I usually grab a page from the copy set and replace the original page. But if your printing double sided would that cause a potential issue?

2 Likes

Thatā€™s some good advice to know ahead of time before I grow to the point you are at now. I will definitely keep this in mind!

I use a rubberband: order colorful rubberbands. They do the job. And of course you should have a reliable bag or briefcase : I have two - small and a large one from the time we should do 4-5 signings per day )))

So glad I could help! :slight_smile:

Use the shipping bags
Ups or fedex
Most every company wants us to use the poly bags to send docs back
For years i put docs in the cardboard envelope and then in the poly bag
It gives the docs a safe and neat container
The poly bag protects from weather and ripping open

1 Like

I prepare package to execute & place in the UPS or FedEx envelope that it will ship in. (If a bag I place shipping envelope in bag: the shipping envelope protects the docs better than bags). I then prepare signers copies & place in a manilla envelope, write location on front & then place behind the executable docs in shipping envelope. Shipping label into shipping envelope or slot on envelope.

1 shipping envelope for each signing.

I use an over the shoulder laptop bag which accomodates several letter & legal size shipping envelopes. I carry everthing needed to close (except mobile scanner) in this laptop bag. I can do several signings back to back without returning to office.

May I suggest a mobile scanner? This saves on going back to office to scan and then back out to ship! I store & carry scanner in a separate small laptop bag to keep it in good working order.
Epson has several. If signers are in a rush, I have scanned the file in my car and right in UPS or FedEx at times.

Sign, Scan, Ship: all in one trip. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps!

Legal size file jackets will prevent your documents from moving around

2 Likes

Same here! I always put the docs into a manila envelope and seal it before slipping into the poly bag. I donā€™t like the thought of the papers shifting during shipping. Rubber bands often tear the papers.

I use two different carry bags. My regular bag is a simple tote.

But for the 200-page files, I have a business-style backpack. I have bad knees, and this makes it so much easier - especially when stairs are involved.

I use crutches, which require I keep my hands free. I can sling my soft bag strap across my front and carry the weight behind me. My bag contains everything experience has taught me I might need, neatly organized.

For shipping Iā€™ve started using your method. Be careful which poly bag you use and not all are water tight. I found some oversize ā€˜Zip Lockā€™ bags on Amazon that Iā€™ll enclose the documents inside then place the bagged document in a Flat Pack for shipping. I the signerā€™s copy in a ā€˜Zip Lockā€™ bag. This keeps the docs undamaged.

Since I am normally shipping the docs either FedEx or UPS after the signing, I put it in a legal sized FedEx or UPS envelope to carry the docs around. From the minute I print them. Everything fits in tightly, Iā€™ve never lost a page.

YES, great way to help mitigate errors as we get busier. :+1:

I had a cabinet built for the rear of my SUV which houses paper, printer, scanner, shipping folders etc.
i keep printed docs in a clear container and to bring into a signing with me I have a metal storage clipboard that holds the documents and pens, and often does double duty as a writing surface

2 Likes

Now thatā€™s what I call being totally mobileā€¦. Looks awsome

Incredible! Thatā€™s impressive. Although, after having my car robbed twice in Nashville, Iā€™d be scared to have that expensive equipment sitting in my car hahaha.

That is a serious mobile set up!

Wow. You have a whole mobile office. Thatā€™s incredible! I assume you drive very well to keeps the bumps from messing with your equipment.

1 Like

My briefcase contains everything I might need to complete any general notary assignment including a credit card reader and a receipt book. However, when loan signing, the briefcase stays in the car.

In my pocket, I carry a thumb inker, a notary stamp, and three blue pens. In my hand are my notary journal, and two cardboard FedEx envelopes each containing a set of documents. I leave the signerā€™s copy in a FedEx envelope along with a business card.

(Separate topic) the major difference between loan signing and general notary work is loan signing (agents) are usually required to take full possession of all the notarized documents. Ever States notary regulations assume that the notary is completing the notarization and leaving the document on the table. Iā€™m not sure if what loan signing agents do would even be permitted in some states.

I use a bag I got from Amazon and reusable folders from Office Depot.

Photo in action:

Bag:

Folders:
https://www.officedepot.com/catalog/catalogSku.do?id=5090196

The folders are only letter size, but I cut the corners out to support legal folders. This set up has been working for me since this last spring. Iā€™ve had as much as the Samsonite rolling brief case and as little as a simple tote bag. So far, the Amazon bag has been the winner! I did have to upgrade the clasps to a heavy duty quick link because the original ones broke from the weight.