$40 signing fee

And yes it is gone!
I just want someone to explain to me how this make sense?!?!? And how much money this signing agent actually paid from his pocket LOL

This nonsense needs to stop!

1 Like

I’m assuming (and we know what happens with that) that this is not a loan signing - “Partial Claims” - could be a one-pager in and out.

Yes, agree with @LindaH-FL. Partial claims (or a simple loan Modification) where only one notary signature is needed and no more than 10-15 minutes with the borrower. Again and again, location is the key factor here (time). To put it into perspective, late last year when the layoffs were happening hard I was getting on average 10 of these a week ($40 Loan MODS) in my hometown where I operate out of. $40X10=$400 for the week just from these signings alone. Never drove more than 3 miles to any of them and never spent more than 15 minutes at the job. So why exactly would one not take the assignments given this situation? Again, depends on location and whether it works for you numbers wise or not.

4 Likes

You’re absolutely right - it’s all about location - in MY location I’m 2.2 miles from a paved road! And NO FedEx or UPS drop boxes or facilities in my town - closest ones are 15-16 miles from me - 30-32 miles round trip not counting signing/table time and mileage - this, for me and probably many others, would be a $65-$75 fee. Saw one poster say they get $200 for these…I find that hard to believe…but what do I know? :slight_smile:

Do you pay for your supplies / material ( paper, printer cartridges , internet…etc)? Or maybe you don’t have any expenses besides you time ( labor)?

1 Like

$40… not when others and other pay $75 to $100 for partial signings. Not in COVID times for sure!

3 Likes

If you sit and wait to “get what you want” you will not make much money. If you take in everything that your available to take, you will make “something”. My advice is to stop looking at “the signing and its fee” and look at the bigger picture. Signing Services are here to make money just like the rest of us. If you sit and wait, you will ALWAYS get beat out by the lowest bidder, in the end making nothing. OK, so you got that $200 signing in your area where you thought it was “worth it”. But how many of those do you ACTUALLY get? When was the last one? In case anyone hasn’t noticed, the only one guaranteed business in this line of work is the lowest bidder. Either let it all add up in your favor, or stay dry “waiting” Also as a side note, I don’t know about the rest of your experiences, but in mine, it was because I took the small jobs that they skipped the platforms and called me directly with the bigger jobs. Experience and a good reputation IS compensation!

4 Likes

When I see these types of offers it is because it is only one document. If it is close by and it only takes you a matter of seconds to drop by on your way to a signing it can be worth it. Look out for the notation they using note it being a couple of pages or 1 doc to sign.
However, if it is a full pkg set of docs… I laugh and laugh and then counter off $140.00 :wink:

1 Like

Of course I pay for all those things, but they are all tax write-offs also, regardless if I “win or lose” at the end.

1 Like

Yes for business, but it is little different on a private tax.

Now you have incentive to buy that fresh new, fast printer/scanner and start a business!

1 Like

Hi Linda ~ research how many Notaries in your area. Log into National Notary Assoc and inquire for your zip code or city. If only a few Notaries increase your fees. You are not charging enough. I’m a Notary that gets $150 to $200 fee for similar situation of travel. I hold my ground and don’t cave into lower fees. Work smarter and not harder ~ half the work for continued income level.

1 Like

Generally Express Notary pays less than others no matter the document, but the plus side they are consistent with the work… And those $40-50 ones add up fast. My 30 days for them I was over $900 and that was not even full time doing signings.

2 Likes

I am VERY picky about what I take and even if it’s one page it’s going to cost them $90. Currently I turn down 4 to 1 and I am busier then I want to be.

Full month for $900 ?!? What ever make you happy. Can you just imagine if all those where at least $125 per signing how much you will make then .

4 Likes

$40-$50 for a refinances??? Or loan modifications?

Anita, that’s what she made just from that ONE company. Do the math and look at the “bigger picture”

1 Like

I agree, I would not ever take a loan signing gig for $40 in the first place it is not worth my time, paper and ink. I have far too much experience and I value myself far too much to accept that. It sets a standard for all Notaries if a lot take on those jobs. I understand if someone is very new and wants the experience to get themselves in the market, but at some point they need to increase their value. But the fact that as soon as you open the order, it’s gone!

Agreed, close by, 1 or 2 signatures and very few documents to print and/or scan can adds up if you get enough of them. I live in a Los Angeles county and you have to drive far and wide to service the whole area, but if it is just neighboring towns, I would accept the jobs on occasion.

Private tax? You are either operating as a sole proprietor, an LLC or incorporated. ALL YOUR expenses are deductible for tax purposes no matter how you file.