Brand Spanking New

I just got notified from the AZ Secretary of State that my application to be a notary has been approved. I have no idea what the next step(s) are. How do I get a stamp? Do I need E&O insurance? How much? How do I find people who want notary services?

Why did you apply to be a Notary Public in the first place?

1 Like

Hi, Congrats on this milestone. You can get your stamp and E&O insurance through the National Notary Association, as well as some additional training for general notary work. You can find people by yellow pages, visiting daycares, hospitals, towing companies, schools, etc., handing out your business cards. You can create your business cards and get many other marketing materials on Zazzle.com. In addition to this, you can set up a Google my business profile for your business, if you have an LLC already set up. If not, you can file a doing business as, on your secretary of state’s website. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Thank you for giving her a helpful answer!

2 Likes

You’re welcome. It’s only right. Happy 2.2.22 notary cousins.

1 Like

@elatour1973 Welcome :sparkles: The Search function is being identified to be of assistance to you. :angel:

Each of us contributes our time-proven experience & expertise. We are very busy business owners; either working with clients OR marketing/developing our business. => Our contributions/answers are provided on a voluntary basis and are offered to be of assistance & provide insight to others in this business sector.

It’s so important for each member to endeavor to perform due diligence prior to requesting the valuable time of other business owners.

As a fellow business owner , I’d like to offer an opportunity to further enhance your business acumen & skill set (speaking proverbially ) by “teaching you how to fish;” instead of giving you a fish . . .

Searching the Notary Café database for the answer (that’s more than likely already present) prior to creating a new thread or post is being considerate, thoughtful, & respectful of other members. Saves everyone time & prevents consternation. :sparkles:

======

You can run a Search (upper right/magnifying glass) as it will usually be quicker than waiting for someone to reply.

Here are the results I found for you by typing “newbie” in the Search field. This page is replete with threads packed with information on how to proceed in your scenario:

https://forum.notarycafe.com/search?q=newbie

Also, here is an additional thread that you may find particularly helpful for a newbie:

Wishing you the Best. :pray:

Especially in a place where there are FAR TOO MANY notaries to begin with, all vying for the same assignments.

As for why I decided to become a notary, I have a customer who has underground fuel tanks at his service station. Some of the forms the state wanted him to fill out regarding insurance, exposure, possible groundwater contamination, etc., needed to be notarized. He found it difficult to leave the service station to go to the nearby credit union that offered notary services. And, covid made it more challenging.

@elatour1973 => FYI: I didn’t pose this query to you.

Please address your reply to the query originator: @mannie1950

Best Wishes :sparkles:

Thank you so much for your courteous and thoughtful replies. I especially enjoyed the link advising me to get a checking account, business cards, and a business license. Had you not linked me to the article, I would never have thought of such things.

Now, perhaps you could answer my original question and indicate whether I need E&O insurance and how much. The reason is simple: the bond company supplied me with a complimentary $5k E&O policy. It seems to me that this amount is insufficient. For my other businesses, I have a $2M aggregate claims made policy. Is $5k really enough for notary work?

In my opinion, I would get a $100,000 4-year E&O save money by buying for four years at a time and they give you a huge discount.
You might want to go back to your SOS and read the state’s notary bond.