Cold Call From Title Company

Does this ever happen to you guys? I received a cold call from Old Republic Title Company asking me if I would like to receive signings from them. They sent over a packet that seems pretty standard, but I just thought it was strange since most signing companies seem to have more notaries registered than they know what to do with. I’m still relatively new, so thought I would seek out some advice

3 Likes

No, they don’t usually reach out like that. Definitely sign up with them asap.

4 Likes

@vanzornink Hmmm . . .

You may want to perform some additional exploratory Search Engine work prior to sending them all the data within the packet that was submitted to you purportedly from ORT.

For example, search on the phone number they called from . . . verify it is an AUTHENTIC phone number for ORT.

Look at the ORT online signup document package and compare each page and the submission email address to ensure that it’s their packet AND that the packet is ACTUALLY going to ORT.

======

On an anecdotal basis, I’ve provided these professional services for more than a decade and this type of Cold Call would truly be an ANOMALY => especially now with such a DEARTH of willingness to accept “new” (or new to them) Professional Signing Agents [PSAs].

NOTE: If it all checks out and is LEGIT - CONGRATULATIONS & KUDOS to you! :sparkles:

:swan:

4 Likes

Absolutely! NotaryCafe was my first stop in trying to vet this offer and title company. It seemed a little too good to be true. It is a shame we have to do all this extra work since people will make anything into a scam.

2 Likes

@vanzornink :white_check_mark:

Unfortunately, the phrase “follow the money” is now not only a followup, but is ALSO a presage . . .

EXCELLENT critical thinking skills!

Yes they call you directly so do good work and they will continue to work with you. One of my favorite Title companies to work with.

2 Likes

Most title companies would access their notary pool first. However, if they can’t find anyone in the appointment area that is available, they will typically access national notary databases like SigningAgent.com. You should create profiles on SnapDocs, SigningOrder, and ZigSig. This will add your name to a few more lists and give you exposure to different title companies.

You will have to be patient, for example, on snap docs, certain companies won’t work with you until you have 10-20 recorded closings. But, still, it’s several extra notary lists that you are adding your name to. ORT is a good company, they pay well, and the fact that they call direct is a plus, because you can always ask about the package size, and most of the time negotiate a higher fee if you feel like it’s appropriate.

Yes, ORT reached out to me for signings but it took about 6 months to receive my first offer. The package was about 130 pages, but their Penmanship Police didn’t seem to like the way my signers wrote numbers. It was nothing that needed to be fixed but it was a big eyeroll when I saw the email.

1 Like

No, that’s valid. That has happed to me many times. You do perfect work, you now got a vendor for life. Next?!

1 Like

They reached out to me also- seems some title companies prefer to now cut out the middleman and form a relationship with notaries. I checked them out and they are legit.

1 Like

Old Repulic Title is legit! They also pay well. Sometimes they call you and then send password protected docs by email.

It’s not uncommon to get cold calls from title companies, signing services, or anyone requesting our services. Especially, if you are listed in various databases such as, NNA, Notary Cafe, or others. If you are not familiar with the calling party, it’s important for you to verify the caller’s credibility. Old Republic Title Company (ORT) is a very established business and a good company to serve. Like other colleagues expressed, they usually first work with their own database of LSAs, unless there’s no available LSAs in the service area. It’s a good thing to get calls from ORT. they pay quickly and have very good customer service. Here’s a tip, be prepared to give your “A” game, when working for ORT.

2 Likes

I can tell you that I accepted one assignment from this company and the location was over an hour away. As they were a new company and I was hoping to add another to my business, I scheduled around them to make it happen. I went to the appointment and the signers refused to sign, after sitting at the table for a full 2 hours with them. After attempting to get a travel and print fee from them, they only offered $50. It was not worth my time, as $50 did not cover travel and print fees. I was very disappointed.

1 Like

Old Republic doesn’t take everyone - I have been working with them for 10 years - they are great!

1 Like

Likely they are rebuilding their Signing Agent network. They previously hired through Snapdocs and they have since disconnected from that platform earlier this year. I’ve been in the ORTC network for many years but I declined to accept orders through snapdocs as they were offering very low fees. They have contacted me direct since they left snapdocs.

3 Likes

@mrj Concur :100: percent! My direct experience mirrors yours. Glad to read that ORTC has returned to working directly with Professional Signing Agents [PSAs].

3 Likes

I’ve registered with several title companies in this manner.

1 Like

Thanks! It seemed so random. I just needed to check in

Great to know. Thank you!

Great to know. Thanks!