Concern for Safety of Signer

Agreed. When I do signing agent work people are vetted for the most part. Although this was a quit claim deed it wasn’t a full signing. More like a favor this title company did for this guy because he is a loan officer. They even stated on the phone that this should go fine because of the fact he’s a loan officer. I was really blindsided by the events that occurred. Especially when he continued to rant while in a public place. That’s why I was so worried for the woman. I thought that if he acted this way in public, what’s going to happen when they go back home. It was the worst situation that I encountered in my two years doing GNW and as a signing agent. Looking back, I still think I handled it OK. By showing up at the bank, I gave the woman a chance to get off of this deed and possibly move on with her life. I also felt like I had made a commitment to do this and because it was a public place it should have been safer. Boy was I wrong on the last statement.

1 Like

Even if a notary has the “necessary training”, they should stay out of domestic disturbances.

3 Likes

Overall I agree. I would only intervene if Life or Limb were at risk. The best procedure is to exit the situation and contact law enforcement. Stay close enough to observe and report while maintaining a safe distance for your own well being.