Cyber attack FNF conglomerate

Brace yourself before you read this. Did ya’ll hear about the FNF cyber attack? see attached article
TrollsOhSnapGIF

4 Likes

Thanks for the info.
Such a shame!!
Feels like everything shut down.
:rage:

2 Likes

I’m hoping and praying that they will get it taken care of as soon as possible because how many other signing services would be affected by this?

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Kinda suspected it was something like this. Now I know. It’s gonna be a while.

3 Likes

This is just terrible, but I guess now I can focus on being a musician

1 Like

This also affect title companies directly

See ServiceLink thread which also covers some potential impacts across SSS and lenders as well as possibly sensitive PI infirmation that may be affected by this situation.

1 Like

My question is: once these signing services get back up online, how will they pay us notaries? Will they mail us checks? Will we have to wait until FNF figures out their foolishness? freaking crap!!! rant over.

@jennjoneis Thank You for sharing the information with us. :pray:

You’ve posed interesting queries. At this point, I don’t know . . .

:swan:

P.S. " Several real estate-focused news outlets said the attack has had significant downstream effects on the industry. Real Estate News called Fidelity National Financial the “nation’s largest title insurance company” and said it has stopped many scheduled home-sale closings as a result of the attack.

Real estate agents, homebuyers and more have been left in the lurch, trying to find ways to finish sales. But the system outages mean many transactions will not be completed until this week. TechCrunch spoke to several realtors on Monday who were exasperated by the outages, which are causing delays in closings.

Fidelity National Financial owns dozens of regional title companies like National Title of New York, Chicago Title, Alamo Title and Commonwealth Land Title. TechCrunch

Cybersecurity expert Kevin Beaumont noted that like multiple major companies that have suffered hacks in recent weeks, Fidelity National Financial had tools exposed to the internet that were vulnerable to a bug known as CitrixBleed.

The top cybersecurity agencies in the U.S. released an urgent warning about the issue on November 21, warning that both nation-state hackers and cybercriminals were exploring ways to exploit the vulnerability.

Just three weeks ago, hackers targeted Texas-based mortgage giant Mr. Cooper, the largest non-bank mortgage servicer in the U.S. The attack prompted the company to lock down its systems, forcing people to pay off their loans by phone, mail service or Western Union."

SOURCE: Notorious ransomware gang takes credit for cyberattack on Fidelity National Financial

3 Likes

cNsa5 Thanks for the info. I have two signing scheduled for tomorrow,
but I want to ask title if they can pay me directly instead of through the signing service
since they depend on FNF I’m thinking about telling them I can’t do it since I don’t know if I will get paid, or when I would get paid…

1 Like

maybe in this situation I can get the full fee for once

YALL REALITY CHECK TIME: CHICAGO TITLE IS DOWN! Thanks FNF

Wild speculation: I wonder if cleaning up this mess might mean some full-fee appointments for notaries, perhaps from local lawyers who are taking on closings that otherwise would have been done by national title companies.

2 Likes

I was just saying to another notary the other day that Bancserv updated their portal a few months back! I thought to get ahead of such, but I guess not, unless some bug was planted during that upgrade time!!!:thinking: well good luck Notaries!!! Stay safe!! Well, now I’ll be on my primary business in shipping helping Santa move pkgs from here to there

1 Like

If any of the lawyers write policies for FNF or its affiliates (like we used to do in CT) then … No…no loans are going to move without title insurance.

1 Like

This is beyond Bancserv. It has the potential to affect all closings. FNF has there hand in so many aspects of this business. A signing I had scheduled for tomorrow has been postponed due to some aspect in the FNF fiasco. (The broker called to let me know)

Thank you for the post. Ive been doing a lot of Mr. Coopers and wondered why i havent seen anything for them lately

2 Likes

Everything shut down as of last Tuesday. I posted this in several of the Notary groups on Facebook yesterday morning, this cyber attack involves any and all FNF Companies and their affiliates. To include life insurance and annuity customers as well as the mortgage and lending industry. This is massive something they’re gonna have to really fix and relaunch with probably a whole lot of layered authentications for accessibility

1 Like

Oh my gosh. I’m starting to wonder if the whole thing was on purpose. If so I can’t help but say it was a tactical move like the construction guy that demolishes a building with such mastery and skill that it all goes down efficiently without loud noises, and hardly any dust
DemolitionCrashGIF

Well, of course, I have my own preconceived notions about what this is all about but I don’t like to politicize in these forums or on social media. Bottom line is that it is out of my control and everybody else’s so we just have to sit wait and hope that it is resolved and restored to a much better and more secure capacity.

2 Likes