Dates for signing

Date questions.

1. As we move into 2021, i would assume dates such as 1/5/21 is okay to do if borrowers sign it that way?
  2. what is your opinion on date stamping all documents for the borrowers so there isn’t any missing or errors on dates? i have one company that adds dates to the docs for the borrowers and I can tell you it saves me about 5-10 min at the signing table.

I ask all borrowers to sign 2021 when we commence. I say the date out loud. “please sign using the four digit year. Today is …” It just eliminates confusion and giving them a directive keeps them (and myself) focused and signing in the same way. So one doesn’t do 21 and the other 2021. It’s not incorrect per se, just messy. Which I try to avoid :nerd_face:

As for pre-date stamping for all dates on all docs, I would say no. I think some prefilled are ok (and I do), but not for signature blocks. Some companies do fill in all the dates, and that is fine. But the alternate view is that the date on the borrower’s signature block, when requested, is part of their affirmation (and contemporaneous proof of it) and thus should be done by hand along with their name. And some companies do have that view, because you can type in any date at any time. So I generally leave signature blocks alone, and that seems to work…

I fill in my notarial blocks when I can with the longform date (16th January 2021), but then I date after my signature e.g. 1/16/2021.

01/05/2021 that’s the way I would do it. Anyone can come behind you and add a 1 to front or a number in the middle or a number at the end. You never know and you don’t want to have to drive back to the signers house.

You should always write out the year entirely almost every company will take fees from you if you don’t.2021😀

Hmmmm…I haven’t had Any companies Tell me I have to have 2021 on the date…it’s Optional I’m told
1 Jan 21 or 1 Jan 2021 is OK!

I’ve had people doing 1/12/21. I don’t know why 21 is an issue. They can add 01. But 2101 or later Is a ways off. Can’t date back to previous years that way

I heard other countries write them diff. So I ask them to date either 1/15/2021 or 1/15/21. Other countries do dates backwards to US

So is 1/1/21 okay etc

Yes…All Day, Everyday :slight_smile: