Highest Fee paid for a signing from a SS?

Please list your highest fee paid for a signing from a SS, but please list your state, the type of signing, how many miles, how many signers, scan backs, etc. Any pertinent details.

We have soooo many LOW fees covered, I would like to go in the opposite direction and hear some GOOD news.

Thanks

6 Likes

Iā€™ve gotten $400 once, $200 + quite a few times, BUT the hook is they had to get it done and they donā€™t normally pay anywhere near that. Point Iā€™m trying to make is 'if nobody accepted these way too low $90 feesā€“theyā€™d still have to get it doneā€™.
Take note newbs: as they tend to go with experienced SAs first, if you get a callā€“they really need you, so donā€™t work cheapā€¦and weā€™ll all be better off. Yes, I know I didnā€™t answer your question, but these really high fees were the exceptions and not what they would normally offer. WE are our own worst enemy!
Adding to thisā€¦sometimes they are their own worst enemy, too. Case in point: been getting ā€˜canudoā€™ offers for 3 days for $50 thru a stupid App, where not enough info is given to make a reasoned decision. Just said ā€˜Refi w/scanā€™. And I kept countering w/my standard/my city $150. Note that I am in a low population/competition area. Eventually, it had to get done and they accepted my fee. Turned out to be a ā€˜correctionā€™ (they forgot a docā€“I didnā€™t do original signing) 1 page/notarization/scan, 4 miles awayā€¦ka-ching! My point is that they can do better, but much prefer to keep as much of your fee as they can.

Another situation that happens a lot is there is one TC who routinely sends their overflow refis to MANY different SS and there is one SS who flat refuses to go over $95 (& starts at $60/65). When that SS gives up, it goes to several others as itā€™s 'got to get doneā€™ time. Game on! I counter each one with an ever-increasing fee, starting with MY minimum & adding $10/$15 to each later offer from a different SS. Eventually, one of 'em accepts. In this ā€˜gameā€™, Iā€™ve often gotten a higher fee from some SS than my pre-determined ā€˜by countyā€™ fee with the original TC! Again, point being that if the 1st SS hadnā€™t been so cheap, we both would have made some money instead of me making a (sometimes) really good fee or at least my minimum. They all can do much better than their initial offer.

15 Likes

I got a call, a Refinance for 90.00, 20 miles round trip, I counter asking for 125.00 they said wait, lets ask to somebody to approve, never called me back, I log into the Signing company and on their comments find out a seasoned Notary took the 90.00 offer immediately.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve only been at this a couple of months. I got just one for $125 2 signers with scan backs 50 miles one way! Everything else has been maybe $75. Itā€™s hard when you start out. Want to build up my ā€œscoreā€. Have to take some low signings but at some point will have to just stop until the price goes up. Youā€™re right if everyone stopped working for less than a whatever price the price would have to go up. the issue as I see it is the state sets the number of Notaries right now there is way to many thus driving the price down

2 Likes

The state does not set the number of notaries. Itā€™s all the 6-figure-income videos out there thatā€™s a major contributing factor to notary-over-saturation. You know how price of gas fluctuates by amount available? Same is true with notariesā€“or any other commodity, for that matter.

15 Likes

What does SS mean? I would like to know so that I donā€™t accept any orders from them. Thank you.

SS is NotarySigningAgent-speak for any Signing Service, whereas TC means Title Co. There are good & bad of both types.

3 Likes

How can one get the TC to contact us for direct business instead of them going with a SS?

Yeah it sucks with these SS companies which have been offering a very low fee and I counter offer, but they donā€™t except it which is why I moved on. These SS companies want to get rich and use our notary stamp on their loan docs for free. They want to pay crumbs and abuse the system. 200 to 500 pages, scan backs and drive 50 miles one way! No way I refuse to do it unless your paying me what works for me.

4 Likes

Itā€™s very hard and nowadays these TC are utilizing many platforms to find notaries which takes a lot of pressure and work load off their desk.

1 Like

Great point and information. Not shoes fit the same on everyone.

1 Like

All of my closings are about 150 RT, and they donā€™t want to pay enough to make that trip worth while.

1 Like

$250 in Missouri I was offered $375 once but I was already on my way to a closing at 8pm and refused the closing. The man was extremely pushy stating he had already contacted a store in my area to print the documents at my cost and the signers would sign at whatever time I got there. He called over and over and blocking his calls did not help. I contacted the store and told them I would not be picking up that print order and I did not authorize it and it was on them that they took it in the first place. My closing ended at11pm due to the signer reading every single word of each document which is fine but I could not of squeezed another closing in and got up for work at 5am.

3 Likes

The best I could do has been $200 because we have a lot of newbies taking the $85 offers. These are new SAs with zero mortgage or loan closing experience. I had to travel over one hour to get there so I earned every penny of that $200.

2 Likes

Iā€™m a newbie - 3 months doing this- I get $150 all the time. Usually the signings are in my town, a couple of miles away. Refiā€™s with no scans and 2 signers. Easy. Iā€™ve been very fortunate from what I can tell considering I just started. Im in Florida

4 Likes

$750, (Iā€™m attorney) in CT. Standard refi packet about 100 pages. With a married couple. About 4 miles from my home each wayā€¦ that was probably highest at least in recent memory. My standard is usually 300, occasionally a little lower, and regularly get between 300-450 for standard signings via the servicesā€¦

1 Like

Im getting on the low end, $90 (Snap Docs) and $120 for title companies who call me. I have gotten as high as $200 on a late end of the day closing. I get a lot for $120-$125. I hold out and ask for more money close to the end of the day. All those that offer $75, I always ask for $90 as a min. I usually take them upto 30 miles out. But try to stay closer to home. I do this for extra money prior to covid19, so I was only doing 5-6 a month but I now do 8-10 a week now. I can tell you this is an up and down market and I cant see how people do it full time. When the rates go up, I get fewer job offers. I cut corners by buying ink as a drum on Ebay for about $13 for a HP knock off drum. I also bought cases of paper at an auction. I use the Fed Ex and Ups envelopes as well to save money. I would like to see fees increase, but everyone would have to be on board and just boycott the title companies which will not happen. But I do believe that we should all reject fees lower than $90. Coast to Coast only offers $75.00 for a refi. If we all did that. fees would raise. Weā€™re going to have to do something, min. wages will be $15 and hour soon and gas will go to $4 to $5 over the next couple of years. By this time I will accept nothing below $150 per refi.

7 Likes

Same for me almost exactly but I went a little further.

The funny part is they only consider page count when it to there benefit. Therefore, I keep my price the same regardless of page count.

4 Likes

Thank you for this reply. What part of Florida are you in? We, also are in Florida SE coast, but have to almost BEG to get $150 from TCā€™s.