I want to know if it is legal to go to a signing appointment with a certified NSA

I am wanting to know if in the state of Kansas once i am certified as a NSA if it is legal to go along with the NSA performing the appointment to get hands on knowledge? and if anyone knows if it is legal how can i find some one in my area willing to let me do that?

Generally, tagalongs are discouraged by all due to privacy concerns. Further, ask yourself if YOU would be willing to train your competition.

2 Likes

Try connecting with another NSA in your area. Once you connect with them then they may call you when they need a witness for a signing. I’ve used a few new notaries when I needed a witness. Good luck on your journey!

2 Likes

Thats really good advice. Second that!

yes i would be willing to train my competition but ok thank you for letting me know i appreciate it

well i am not really wanting to be a witness i want to view the whole process but i will look into that

Good idea, vizionzmobilenotary. That is a perfect tagalong opportunity.

Of course you would, because you’re a nice person- until, that is, you find out you’re not getting any work (or as much as you need/expected, because that competition you trained is grabbing all the jobs because they do them cheaper. Think about it.

1 Like

That’s like a pitcher sitting down with opposing hitters and explaining to them how he throws his breaking ball and how to hit it. It’s a very kind thing to do but it won’t serve him well in the end.

When I first learned the business I asked to tagalong with a seasoned notary. She willingly agreed. I also allow others to ride along with me to gain the knowledge and experience. I never invite a trainee without first asking the client if they mind if I bring the trainee to sit in. If they agree - it’s a go. However, I emphasize that the invitee is never to engage in conversation at the signing table. They are in essence a silent witness. The documents are under my total control and we are whipping through them at a pace that would be hard for them to absorb anything about the client that they can use. I am never concerned about competition. I discovered long ago that no one else can do me quite as well, and vice versa!

5 Likes

If the new NSA wasn’t working for me I don’t let them tag along. The NSAs in my employ have signed NDAs and Non-Compete agreements. I also get permission from my clients before my trainee is allowed to witness.

Is it legal, it’s legal, but would for most types of signings cause that notary to be out of compliance with their SS or title company/bank/law firm that hired them.

Being able to go as a witness would be ideal, as you will get the opportunity to review the process. So that would be the signer is in the state of KS, but the properties are for another state. There is normally payment for that instance if you are asked to come as witness.

There are also several really good training videos on YT that do the signing process pretty thoroughly and I suggest that those videos be reviewed. If you’ve done a personal mortgage refinance try to review your loan documents. NNA has a demo package you can review with their course as well.

As far as KS, you may reach out on Linked IN, several notaries have reached out to me on there to find someone experienced and asked for help getting started. With the market as it is, you may find some willing to assist as they have more time? I do not train unless at a TC request, it is paid by them.

Good Luck on your new journey and welcome aboard to this venture!

Idk if it’s illegal in Kansas. You’d have to check. But, it’s legal from where I am. You can reach out to NSAs around you and ask. Doesn’t hurt. Check out who is an NSA in your area via the signing agent website via the NNA, maybe. Signingagent.com?

As some others have mentioned, I don’t know how successful it’d be since you are technically their competition. Also, the signer may not want you looking at their private information. @vizionmobilenotary had a good idea. You could act as a witness to see the process.

In my opinion…it is not good practice to have someone to come along to your signing. There are privacy issues and if there is a problem with the signing, you do not want to have that person be a part of it. Rather be safe than sorry. You can give advice and go thru a practice signing with your mentee but bringing them along to a signing is not a good
Idea…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.