Inquiry Regarding Remote Online Notarization

Hello fellow notaries
As a Florida notary, I’m curious if I’m authorized to perform remote online notarizations for Last Will and Testament documents and POAs? And what would be a recommended fee for this service?

Per Florida statute 117.235

" 117.235 Performance of notarial acts.—

(1) An online notary public is subject to part I of this chapter to the same extent as a notary public appointed and commissioned only under that part, including the provisions of s. 117.021 relating to electronic notarizations.

(2) An online notary public may perform notarial acts as provided by part I of this chapter in addition to performing online notarizations as authorized and pursuant to the provisions of this part."

So I would say yes, it is allowed. P!ease refer to F.S. 117, Part II, for full statute provisions.

On a personal note…I, personally, would not do it. There is a lot to be said for personal physical appearance and ability to determine mental capacity and absence of duress…but that’s just me and my own personal opinion

1 Like

I agreed with LindaH-FL with making sure you follow your state notary law. As to fees, you we would also follow your state law with what it allows you to charge per notarization. As to mental capacity, I have been doing RON for four years now. If a signer is able to get onto the platform without help, the mental capacity is likely there to be able to complete the signing.

1 Like

Yes you can. In fact a lot of times RON is actually better for the notary and it’s video and audio recorded so it can’t be disputed later. As rParker stated, if they’re able to get thought the KBA and use the platform, they’re more than likely mentally capable to consent.

You should Join Florida Remote Online Notary Association (FRONA) or (RONA) now, it’s a super helpful association. Let them know Niko sent you :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like