Interesting

Did you know that some title companies charge the signer
an additional $35 for printed copies of their package after close. interesting…

1 Like

That explains some of the phone calls I’ve gotten from those I’ve closed. I send them back to Title as I’m not permitted to give any copies I may have archived.

1 Like

@jennjoneis In my direct experience (more than a decade) of providing professional services within this business sector, never witnessed nor heard of any title company charging an additional fee to the Borrowers [BOs] for printed copies of the BOs executed package.

Thank you for sharing your direct experience about this potential additional title company fee. :white_check_mark:

:swan:

2 Likes

I automatically print a copy for the signer. If requested, i can put on a dvd, flash drive or just download to them. I ask to be paid for a thumb drive. I guess its years as a real estate agent, but signers need copies.

1 Like

From what I understand TCs don’t want us emailing copies of the document package as we don’t know for certain if the email belongs to the intended party.

1 Like

I have found the email is generally listed in contact info in the package. I also verify it at the table. Ive never been told not to email.

I guess the price of everything HAS gone up

1 Like

With almost every engagement instructions I’ve received, it’s spelled out not to email the closing documents to the signers. I print a second copy for the signers records, which provides a means of replacing pages that have been damaged [pets, kids, food, beverages, etc…] during the closing.

1 Like

Tightwads ~ if they are to charge should be no more than a ream of paper and postage. Rich get richer.

1 Like

@reoqueenbee That’s Interesting . . . :thinking::thought_balloon:

Of course, signers do need copies of their set of documents & paper sets are easily provided at the time of the scheduled Signing Engagement.

======

However, in my direct experience of more than a decade with title/escrow companies [T/ECs], lenders, attorneys, etc. across the US, the Signing Order normally explicitly states within the Professional Signing Agent [PSA] Instructions section if the Borrowers [BOs] request an electronic/digital copy of their documents (or request the document package be e-mailed to them) the BOs are to submit that request directly to their Escrow Officer or Loan Officer.

In other instances, the T/ECs, lenders, attorneys, etc. include this set of instructions within their “Welcome”/“Sign Up” package of specifics regarding providing professional services to their business as an independent contractor.

This set of instructions usually include the statement “You’re NOT authorized to provide an electronic/digital copy of the documents to the BOs.”

It’s clear the action of providing an electronic/digital copy of the BOs document set created by & is wholly owned by a separate business entity would incur accepting responsibility/liability in this regard. To me, definitively NOT worth the risk inherent in that act.

:swan:

I have a large senior citizen population in my area. Majority of time I am directed to provide copy of docs to customer. Majority of these people do not have computer skills regarding uploading and other common digital methods we use day to day. Many don’t maintain computers properly and often told their computer is freezing up and they can’t read docs online. The real eye opener is some of these people buy and sell property as investments and don’t have computer skills. They manage to be very successful. One time since 2015 has someone requested I forward docs in email which I declined. World is a funny place !

1 Like

I’m 76 and had to use computers for my job. My father bought his last computer at age 91. He had been using a mac and needed instruction on using windows. Took me less than 15 minutes. I have a friend who was dragged kicking and screaming into the computer age. Hes a real estate agent, stilĺ active at 80. He had to learn to earn. Some people have not learned because they have no interest and have not been forced. My mother was one of those. I know there are people c who exist on their paperless world. But i like paper.

3 Likes

@reoqueenbee that’s me - I’ve been out of loan signings for several years now - have not gotten my RON commission yet and don’t intend to - I feel technology has passed me by and, at this point, I’m fine with it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.