Low fees offered for signings that very long drive

What are some thoughts on companies that offer very LOW rates for signing that are long distances away. Example: Signing is 74 miles one way ( 148 miles round trip) plus the 1-2 hours it may take for the signing (depending on how many docs there are and if you have someone who reads every line of every doc) So you have 3 1/2 - 4 hrs just in driving, plus the signing . Then the scan-backs and drop off of the docs, But the title company only wants to pay $50. Then they ask how much if no one else can do it, you tell them reasonable amount ( which other companies have paid for that time/distance) then they reply back offer only $10-$15 more than the first offer! I believe our time should be compensated better than that. Thoughts?

It’s a game. They’ll keep increasing the fee $5-$10 until they find a taker (or sucker, as the case may be).
If it ain’t profitable…drop it.

I am the same way, I advise them what I want and I usually get it. For me if I am driving an hour it is 175. More than an hour it is $250 to 275. I usually get it too. Where I live most areas are farther away. Also can depend on what I am doing.

1 Like

For a 150 mile trip, I tell them my price, if they low ball I just thank them for the call and hang up.

2 Likes

Very simple. STOP ACCEPTING THESE TYPES OF OFFERS!!! You set the standard as to how you are treated by what you allow. If you keep accepting low fees, then that is all these companies will continue to offer. In their mind if someone declines the low offer, they know that there is someone else out there who will do it. I had to learn this the hard way and no longer allow my worth to be negotiated. I get both the fees and respect that I ask for.

2 Likes

I always counter offer low ball, long traveling job offers, so much that the amount automatically comes up for me on my response lol. ID Proofing 50 miles away? triple digits, always.

150 mile trip? Who would take an assignment of that distance? You know that nobody will pay the appropriate fee for that distance. Just say no. There are plenty of other jobs much closer. I rarely take jobs more than 20 miles one way especially if it’s into the city traffic.

I cover a 100+/- mile radius in 2 states as I am on the border of both.(OR,WA) I give my fee and they either accept or tell me they will see if they can get it approved. Typically within 15-20 minutes I hear back with an approval. Most closers don’t do the traveling, I personally prefer it as I can’t stand driving into the city with all the crazies now-a-days and a nice drive to the coast or in the mountains makes for a happier me. I calculate the time for the closing and typically multiply the cost of how many closings I could have done in that time locally.

1 Like

I know some notaries don’t like Debt Resolutions. Sunshine Signing will at least pay the distance. A did a debt Res in Salisbury Md from Columbia Md. I requested 300.00 with no problem. I have done this in atleast 4 occasions, no less than 150.00 easy. I even charge a rush our rate. Just build a good working rapport. And so far as representing a law firm simply correct the docs and write in notary. As trained in the beginning.

1 Like

If people new or not do not say NO I am deserving of $100 then you won’t get it.