New platform called Stavvy. Anyone familiar?

Got a signing through Snapdocs and the company wants to use this new platform called Stavvy. It’s like a RON work around. Through video conference I will witness the signers sign with ink. They will then send package to me and I am supposed to notarize with the date that I witnessed the signing. Thinking back on my notary training, backdating is a big no no that can cost you your commission. Anyone have experience with this platform or anything else of this sort where you backdate the certificate? If it’s legit then this is an awesome way to complete signings while I am still working on getting RON authorized. But a $90 check is not worth my commission and all that I have invested in this business. Thoughts???

Few questions first:

1. Where are you located?
  2. For standard notarizations, does your state require physical presence.

For now - this is illegal as he** in FL and most other states. I would not do it and you’re right - backdating is a no-no

2 Likes

This gets even better - I googled them - they’re based in Massachusetts…an attorney-only state; you’d think they’d know better…yeesh

2 Likes

As many states have authorized some really off-the-wall ways of ‘notarizing during Covid-19’, best answer is to ask your SOS about this one.

1 Like
  1. I’m in Ohio. RON was law here before Covid.
  2. The wording is that they personally appear before you.

The founders background was not in real estate or notary experience. Seems like they are just hoping on the bandwagon to cash in without the proper considerations.

No way would I do this - you’d be breaking every notary law in the book and bye bye commission. I agree with you - they’re trying to get in on the money end without consideration.

Just explain to them this is against Ohio notary law and they either need a RON commissioned notary or they need to get a local notary to attend.

By the way - who is this company?? I know the platform, but what company asked you to do this?

BNN - Bilingual Notary Network

Seriously??? Holy cow…they really know better.

I’m stunned

1 Like

Scam Move on

Why do they think this will work…just use RON and geet on with it

1 Like

Scott

If BNN is the company promoting this, how is it a scam. BNN is a well-established signing service - been in business for years. I’m seriously questioning their affiliation with this platform.

If there so reputable then why are they promoting something that a day one RON notary Knows?

1 Like

No idea Scott - but they’ve been in business for a very long time…let’s see, I started in this business in 2006, and they were already established back then. I’m really surprised they condone this practice for their notaries. - and any notary who goes along with this the way it’s explained in the original post deserves to lose their commission.

In NY, the COVID-19 RON authorization allows a notary to perform a notarization of transmitted document remotely, with videoconference.

The law allows the notary to receive the original, and notarize it with the same date as the RON, within 30 days of the original RON.

So, this sounds like it’s not forbidden, at least in one state.

HWB.

1 Like

Ok. Great information. It seemed odd for this to be completely unsanctioned. Just have not seen it myself.