NotaryAssist software or similar for bookkeeping?

I’ve used Quicken for years. However, I finally got fed up with Quicken’s increasingly cumbersome user interface and what they laughingly consider customer service. I’m looking for an industry specific program to handle billing and receivables, produce tax reports, etc - the money “musts” so vital to a small business owner. I’m considering NotaryAssist. Anyone use/used it? Anyone have other suggestions? Thanks for your help!

I agree about Quicken becoming harder to use and slower. They’re separating from Intuit. Back when Quicken was part of Intuit, about 1.5 years ago, I used an Intuit product, TurboTax, to do my taxes. They goofed on how they computed the Vermont return, and it affected many thousands of taxpayers. They made a lump sum payment to Vermont and in return Vermont agreed that tax payers didn’t have to fix their returns or pay any additional taxes.

Would Quicken go to bat for you if they goofed now they’re separate from Intuit? I don’t know. Would NotaryAssist go to bat for you if they goofed? I don’t know.

Remember the statute of limitations for tax returns is pretty long. Will you have to maintain a NotaryAssist account for years after you retire from notary work to protect yourself in case of a tax audit?

1 Like

Many years ago, I created my own excel spreadsheet where I capture all the info I need to keep track of all the important things. It keeps track of my AR, dates items paid and check numbers, expenses, mileage, client orders/contacts, signing type (i.e. seller pkg, refi, etc.), lender (if any), title co (if different than the signing company), running totals of paid work and outstanding fees, notes for things like followup phone calls for past due funds, etc. Also, I just add another yearly tab each year and then modify the things like IRS mileage deduction to my equation so the mileage deduction calculates correctly for the year. I then carry over any unpaid work to the next year. I even put in an calculator to calculate the federal tax amounts as a percentage of income each quarter if quarterly payments are needed. I can run a “pivot table” on any of the data and print for use on my year end tax forms or putting together a P&L. Works great for me and can add things to it as I find reason to do so. I also back it up in the cloud and to external drives so as to not lose the data if my computer crashes.

1 Like

As always, excellent points. NotaryAssist is not a tax preparation package - it would replace Quicken, not TT. (I have tried TT, but moved back to my previous accountant; I sleep better.) I’m midway through the free trial period. I very much like the integrated features; a single entry updates A/R as well my calendar. The database reports seem functional. At this point, I am leaning toward a month-to-month NotaryAssist subscription until I see how useful it is for A/R and tax prep. And whether they follow through with the app design release slated for November - the current PC version is cumbersome on a smartphone.

Sounds like a carefully designed project! I have something similar, though probably not as comprehensive. You’ve obviously put considerable effort into what sounds like an excellent result!

It serves my needs during the year and keeps me up to date at all times. It took a little time to develop but works well for me, is flexible to add to as needs arise and I don’t have to rely upon a third party or pay for a service. I have a CPA so I am able to provide him the totals at year end and he is able to complete the necessary forms for me at tax time.

Good to know I’m not the only one who still prefers to use a real, live accountant.

@1hollowell1, awesome!

i use Notary Gadget for my notary needs and it produces great reports for your accounting system (TT). It will produce mileage reports, expenses, and exempt notarial fees. Also assists with scheduling and reminders. Love it!

3 Likes

Notary Gadget is by far the best software for me! Highly recommended!

1 Like

I to use Notary Gadget and love it. You have the availability to add to the page I have set up a few extra’s that really helps when you need info on the fly.

Ord/Esc #:
Tracking #: (you can add your UPS, USPS or Fedex #)
Type of Closing:
Ordered by: (you can add the person’s name if you every need to refer back to)

1 Like

Thanks for all the input! I’ll take a look at Notary Gadget.

Willing to share a blank Master file with me? I’d love to give it a try…I’ve used NotaryAssist, lost my entire info of 3 years worth, not intending on doing that again.
Grateful in advance
Jeannie

1 Like

I have been using Notary Gadget for almost a year and I love it. The $9.95/monthly fee is a business expense so that is nothing. What I really l like the ease of inputting data. Once you add a signing, it will auto assist in the address and once completed you can choose to use the mileage as it is entered or change it, I often have to run back out to drop docs after faxbacks so I like this feature. It will email your invoice after the signing if you chose to use that feature, It has decent invoices that can be printed. Check it out.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input! After a couple of days trial on both products, I chose to continue with Notary Gadget. Both are much more convenient that my current method, both consolidate several functions to one input - saving time and reducing errors. However, I like NGs appearance on my smartphone better, as well as a few minor input items. Thanks for all the help!

I like the fact that I can set reminders to my Google Calendar, email and text messages and that in the message it will include a live link to the address which I have open in Google maps. Very nice feature. The support team at Notary Gadget are also very helpful and open to edit suggestions and updates.

I LOVE NotaryAssist!! What a value for the money!! Easy to use features specific to our industry, but what I really like is the support! They have REAL people to talk to and help.

Love Notary Assist. Does everything.

1 Like

I use quick books. The only suggestion I have is when you set up your company, skip the question on a password. I didn’t and now I have to use it every time I log in. The requirement is law states if you take credit cards, you must have the extra security .

I like the ability to enter notes for future reference.

Used peachtree before and like that also but it was costly to upgrade and I switched to quickbooks. Peachtree also doesn’t have a notes section unless it has been added since I switch.

Thanks for the suggestion - QB is a little more than I want to wrestle.