NSA Tips: Part 1

With due respect… my statement about cutting corners… “printing double sided for borrowers copies or printing on letter instead of the correct legal size as required” goes against the instructions given by the companies and that is what i was referring to. One of my job is to make the signers comfortable and at ease during the signing process so if i have to use training wheels as you so refer to the flags as… then training wheels i will use. It takes little or no time to remove as i go and it allows me the exra time during the process instead of waiting till the end to double check at the end. My process works for me as your process clearly works for you… I always get positive feedback on my process at the end of each of my signing and after 400+ signings this year I only have 1 error and that was a missed date at the end of a 4 appointment signing day so i was cross-eyed… Im good and very efficient

2 Likes

BTW… I saved your printer tip and it worked… thanks for that

1 Like

My pleasure! Glad to hear it.

Walk out??? OMG… Never… that must have been a typo

I’m not sure what you’re responding to, as I’ve blocked that user long ago. If you’re confused about point 6 or have specific questions, I’ve already elaborated here. Once again, verbiage is important. “Cutting corners” is not synonymous with doing shoddy work. Leaving a signing is not synonymous with “walking out,” which implies just hopping up and running out of the door in the middle of a signing because it goes a few minutes over. It’s important to read the whole paragraph and use critical thinking, versus taking lines out of context.

Keywords: unless it’s your fault. If you are slow and inefficient, that’s your fault. If the signer is reading everything because you aren’t summarizing properly, that’s your fault. If you aren’t setting expectations at the beginning of the signing, that’s your fault etc. Some things can’t be helped, though. As stated, this is a “goal” to reach for. Things happen.

I get the point that you made… if the signer is 35 min late then yes I agree with you that rescheduling if necessary would be the best thing. I had a signer that was 20 min late for her 8am appointment and I informed the TC who gave me the okay to reschedule for later on on the evening as I had another appointment right after. I know you did not mean you start the appointment told the signer they had an hour and would walk out if it took longer. That is the typo I was referring to……I know you are more professional than that.

And for the record I never said that cutting corners is shoddy work… that is your interpretation. Let me be clear… cutting corners is NOT smart or a safe way to do business as it could cost you more than you would have saved. Standards are in place for a reason. Would you live in a home if your builder cut corners and not follow standard building practices?

You didn’t have to say it was shoddy work, you implied that it was. And you implied it again in this post. Think what you like, I’m not arguing about it.

I 100% agree. The stickers act as a check and balance for you and the signer to ensure you don’t miss anything. When I review after I’ve finished it takes no time to remove the tabs. I’m going to keep doing it as well with all my signings.

1 Like

I print a second copy but I don’t let the signer see it, because they feel if they make a mistake you have a duplicate. When they don’t see the second set they pay attention to what they are doing and since I started doing that the signer has not made any mistakes. It made my signings go smoothly.

1 Like

Good advice for the most part but regarding the choice of paper, you really gotta be careful. Some recordable docs cannot be accepted for filing if printed on letter sized paper. A good example is the NY RP-5217 form. If on letter size the font is stupidly small and the 3D barcode that the county clerks office uses to scan it when it’s filed gets smooshed and might not read. If you get a surly staffer in the office it will be rejected. On the other hand, borrower copies can be on letter paper virtually any time. In fact, most borrowers will appreciate not getting some weird oversized paper that won’t fit in a standard folder or filing cabinet that only law offices would typically possess.

I have been doing notary for. 1 year now and I agree with the experience mention by noble notary (nice name) the big three D’
Disappointed,
Disrespected
Discouraged
I went thru all the hoops to get my licenses and signing agent courses , I enjoy assisting people and I am very patient but the companies treatment of notaries was distressing, and the price offerings were getting more and more ridiculous, finally I just do mostly general notaries and even got my vin verifier licenses and assist dealerships.
Thank you for this community

1 Like

@noblenotary1 I’m curious - where are you located that you need a “vin verifier license”?

california here in california you have to be licensed to be a vin verifier also many hoops to go thru bonded as well honestly not sure if it was worth it ? but i did it , i also got my real estate licenses recently, that’s it for me no more licenses …

2 Likes

Never send documents back to title that are the incorrect paper size.

@noblenotary1 okay…was curious because here in Florida, verifying VIN numbers is an authorized notary function…

Thanks for responding

1 Like

Thank you so much for bringing all the facts that is happening in this kind of career, you said it well, but unfortunately some people still do not believe it that doing notary with these low fee is effecting everybody even the person that accepting, I am 100% agree with you that no laws are protecting us, and we have to do it something, basically after a long time being in this business, I am not getting anything last few months, because of the way those company acting and taking advantage, with no loyalty and respects. again thank you for sharing .

1 Like

I love my sticky markings as well. They save me a lot of time by avoiding mistakes.

1 Like

For the most part, I agree with ALL his statements. I have been in this business for almost 7 years and the things he has said here are correct for me as well. If they don’t work for you then don’t do it.

2 Likes

Thank you. This is good information.

1 Like

I just want to say that I value this post as a fellow peer. This insight in detail, was critically helpful in confirming my thoughts that I have been silent about. Standing on principal and truth. Thank you.

1 Like