Possible ill borrowers

With all the air travel people do and this Coronavirus being deadly in China, how are we the notaries suppose to protect ourselves? We enter homes of people who have colds and the flu, so what’s to say that they don’t have Coronavirus. The CDC worldwide is monitoring and testing some traveler’s. But none of them know exactly how its being spread.
What is everyone else thought’s on illnesses and diseases.
And no I am not the type to overreact or panic. I am just curious to know others thoughts on this subject.
Thank you

1 Like

I don’t accept food or drinks from borrowers, ever. Use hand sanitizer immediately. Have sanitizer wipes to clean pens, your hands and anything the person has touched that can be wiped.

If you think the borrowers are ill when you confirm the appointment, ask them if they are ill. If you have a low tolerance to germs or a compromised immune system, don’t take the signing.

Other than that, I can’t think of anything else you can do.

2 Likes

go in get the signatures and go home.

2 Likes

oh I encountered this a few months ago. a signer was sniffling. no big deal… then had to go back the next day and the signer was in bed sick. I was fine for a day or two then boom! sick for about 4-5 days following that encounter. I have been at signers homes when they are sick and usually i do not get sick at all.

2 Likes

I do not accept any food like cookies or coffee from the borrowers either especially if I am doing a VA loan signing. Some of them are sick, sensitive to smell of the lotions or perfumes.

One time I had a VA loan signing and had no idea that the man was ill and he was sensitive to the smell of perfume or lotion. I had a Channel 5 lotion/perfume on me and he complained about the fragrance of it. I washed if off at their kitchen sink. The wife was very apologetic about it but I had no problem getting rid of it at all as I understood the situation. So notaries beware… if you have a VA or Reverse Mortgage loan signings, you know what I meant.

1 Like

Nobody in a professional environment should wear perfume, so many people are sensitive. Perfumes are very toxic whether you are sensitive or not.

2 Likes

Yes, you are right. There are people who are sensitive to fragrances. Unfortunately, survey said there are at least 30% of people who are called “hyper sensitive persons” (HSPs). I actually learned my lesson once not to go on signing after a birthday party with perfume or lotion on me. I usually use unscented items when I go to work as I am aware of HSPs. However, I disagree that the scented item is toxic. Perfumes and lotions are big business in the retail industry especially this Valentine’s Day!

The only reason I share this story it’s because I care about us notaries especially to the newbies as we tend to learn that sick people are not only in public areas but in someone’s home, too as we do signings. According to research, some people are highly sensitive to smell it’s because they are either sick with asthma and have fragrance sensitivity.

2 Likes

I worry about the germs as well. Not only getting sick, but getting others sick if we carry the germ before we know it. With all the coronavirus warnings I am considering buying some face masks. I just bought lysol wipes for the briefcase.

1 Like