I am instructed to have page 1 and part 1 (all yes/no lines) to be filled out by the buyer and sign on page 2 (part 2, 3 and 4 are all on page 2 which are all blank). Isn’t it true that the buyer/title company supposedly to fill these parts out before signing? these parts include very important information to the buyer such as purchase price, interest rate and etc. By leaving them blank, anyone can easily fill in the data that isn’t favorable to the buyer?
I am new to this, but I have done numerous contracts where everything has to be filled out and completed before signing and notarizing. I got burned once by selling my property by signing without filling out the blanks per sales agent (who has been my family friend for decades). I lost over $500k on that deal. This is why I am super careful.
In my experience, seldom has escrow pre-filled out the PCOO. When received blank, I’ve had complete it. It’s relatively easy to do. Most of the info on page 2 can be found on the CD and/or the Note. The rest is info the buyers can provide. If their agent is present, that’s something the agent can complete while you proceed to other docs.
I’m curious, shun. In some of your other posts you’ve mentioned (notary/signing agent) courses. Have you taken some NSA course(s)? If so, which one(s)?
Yes, I had taken NSA courses. It has been months and this is my very first signing. I started learning apostille and POA while relearning my old professional skills. information overload
So, page 2 needs to be filled out at signing as well, correct? I was planning to fill it out on my own, but the instruction doesn’t tell me to do so. I am being too careful? thanks!
P.S. I have attached one of the documents that has 2 signers names. I don’t think I can cross out the name nor replace with another copy. should I just leave the non-present signer blank and comment it in my journal?
If you are only notarizing for one signer out of the two, the only place you would cross out a signer’s name is on your certificate. That is because you only actually notarized the signature of the one signer. The other signer did not appear in front of you, so the absent signer is of no concern to you - except on your certificate. Don’t overthink it.
If you’re a CA NSA you do not complete the PCOR, the signer does. Your participation is limited to showing them where they can find the requested information. I have found that it’s sometimes helpful if I read the questions to them. But under no circumstances should you be completing this (or any) document for the signer. The PCOR has tax consequences to them and a huge liability to you if you make a mistake. They can call upon their agent, title, or lender for guidance. Protect yourself by not over-extending yourself.
Correct. the certificate with 2 names is supplied by the title company. I was saying I will have to attach one of my own copy if I am not allowed to cross out the absent signer’s name. thanks!
in my case, it is a bit more complicated. I have to read the questions to the buyer “in Chinese.” Thus, I don’t want to make him think I am giving him advice instead of translating into Chinese.
Thanks Daren!