Wow—what an experience I had with Rai’s Mobile Notary. Unfortunately, I fell for the fast-talking and extremely rude behavior. His lack of professionalism was shocking and, at times, his behavior seemed completely irrational.
As a professional mobile notary and signing agent myself, I always try to encourage new clients and give companies an opportunity. I accepted the assignment from this company, only to feel as though I had gained a leech who simply would not let go. He demanded immediate attention, an immediate ETA for my arrival, and an immediate FedEx drop-off.
His communication was rude, inconsiderate, and incredibly pushy. Yes, I was paid $60 for approximately one hour of my time. However, according to the client, Rai’s Mobile Notary charged—and was paid—$500 for the same service.
This was a simple “one signature” Marriage License. As a Notary, I have a very small fee that I could have charged, if this had been a direct request; therefore, I would like to know how Rai’s can charge $500? J
That’s the tough part of this business — as independent contractors, we rarely see what’s negotiated between the signing service and the end client, so a gap like that can be disheartening to discover after the fact. Oftentimes, the markup is excessive because the signing service upsells the client — implying or even fabricating complexity, urgency, hand-holding, and babysitting that doesn’t actually exist or isn’t necessary, just to justify a higher fee. Your experience (i.e., ‘I had gained a leech who simply would not let go. He demanded immediate attention, an immediate ETA for my arrival, and an immediate FedEx drop-off.’) illustrates that. So I get why seeing that kind of markup for a one-signature job stings. That’s the main reason all my GNW is direct with the client — no intermediaries.
@higginbotham_janiceThank you for sharing your direct experience with this individual/Signing Service [SS].
Sorry to read about the difficulties you endured. Sharing the communication does help other Notary Cafe members to learn vicariously & avoid the pitfalls.
NOTE:You may want to consider adding “ALERT” OR “BEWARE” OR “WARNING” to the title of your thread to make it easy to identify the experience.
I want to add to this. I kept getting a lot of emails from Rai’s so much so I sent it to spam. Today, I received a text message from him asking if I do prison notarizations. Here in Indiana, a small handful of jails and corrections facilities will allow an outside notary inside the building. So, I responded to his message asking if those steps were completed and verified that this particular center will accept me. This location is 1.5 hrs away from me, so before I commit to anything, verification is required. He proceeded to text me a screenshot of the form his client filled out that showed the requirements. It is an attorney that is wanting an inmate to sign POA paperwork to conduct the sale of a residence on the inmate’s behalf. I called the center and they told me that only their inhouse notary can be used. I explained that to Rai’s and he continued to rush me and text me to “figure out a workaround” because these 4 separate documents needed to be signed ASAP and 2 witnesses were needed.
Turns out Rai was paid $1500 to have a notary complete this task. The notary fee was $125. He agreed to pay a substantial bonus if I could get it done.
I told him getting it done today was not going to happen as I have work and my own Notary business to run and closings to complete. I finally just had to no longer respond to his text messages. i am not his personal secretary or a member of his business to just drop everything I had going on to travel to a place far from me and outside of my travel area.
There are many reviews on BBB and FB about his scamming ways. He would quote a $150 fee to the client but then turn around and charge them $1500 with so many promises.
@KASHEENA_WILBURThank you for sharing your direct experience with this individual/Signing Service [SS].
Sorry to read about the pressure tactics you underwent interfacing with them. Sharing the communication does help other Notary Cafe members to learn vicariously & avoid the pitfalls.
Signing services are not regulated. Notaries have a maximum fee; some states allow travel fees, etc. that may not be regulated. Rai’s is not working as a notary.
In Colorado a notary is required to disclose the notary fees separately from other fees. If Rai’s was required to disclose the state regulated notary fee separately from his total fee …