Return Trip Fee

Good afternoon
I am seeking advice. I did a buyer’s package yesterday for $150.
Title just sent me an email asking me to notarize the attachment with the borrower’s name. I informed them that I’m unable to notarize the document since I did not witness his signature on this document. Not to mention, the signature looks “shady”.
Clearly, you can see it’s an electronic signature and not his original signature.

They responded to me and asked if I could return today to obtain his signature on a document that they did not include in the package yesterday and she stated for me to send her an invoice for a return trip fee.
I’ve never had to do a “return trip fee”. Please advise what do you think is a fair fee to charge in this situation.
Many Thanks!
Juanita

What would you normally charge for a single document notarization - print the doc, go to the signer, get it signed, notarize it then ship it out (or scan it or both) - a single doc notarization fee (notarization and travel/time fee included) is what you would charge - dependant too on how far you need to travel.

4 Likes

Absolutely concur :100: percent with @LindaH-FL note above. :owl:

P.S.

By the way, EXCELLENT work on standing your ground and honoring the statues/rules for your Notarial Commission.

2 Likes

How far do you have to go? To me that is considered another signing and to be very understanding I would charge $100 min. or I may ask for $120 for scanback.

2 Likes

Their error; they pay. Agree with all previous posters. I also would not appreciate the attempted ‘quick fix’ they tried. As the majority of our hard costs are gas/travel time, I, too, would consider it a ‘new signing’ and charge accordingly.

3 Likes

This is not a trip fee because you will be driving back to get the signature and notarize again!

Last week I took a 12pm refi for a $150 not far from my house. First thing I went over was CD and the clients names were misspelled. They would not sign unless all docs have been 100% corrected and redrawn. The correction agreement form would not do it for them.
I was in a time crunch but agreed to go back after my last closing at 6pm and got $300. No problem.

1 Like

Concur. :owl: Spidey senses at work!

1 Like

IMO this is a one-document notarization assignment. Just my personal opinion but $100 is unreasonable as is another $20 to scan one page. Now, that all depends on how far OP has to travel and how much time involved. IF I’m in my own county then I’d probably charge $50 for the one notarization. However, if I have to come back, scan back then go out again to drop the original (another 32-35 miles round trip) then add another $15-$20…maybe. Also depends on my relationship with the client. They’ve admitted their mistake…how good are they to me and how much of a favor am I willing to do for them.

I know you say you get huge fees, VIP, but all I can say is you are very lucky for that.

To OP - one other thing - if you have to scan back then drop, make sure they provide return shipping label.

7 Likes

My friend, I negotiate on everything:) :grin:. I’m willing to do for a fee that I am comfortable with. MO: What others want to do it for is non of my business.

Yesterday, I was on the phone with two particular title companies, they tried to tell me the areas I cover, fees are ranging from $63-$125. She said that’s including print fee! I was like, “NO WAY!” Highest is $125 she said. I said, fine if those people want to do at a loss especially with the inflation, let them be, but I can’t do that. And they both allowed me to keep my fees. :thinking:I said I will take a risk of not getting any business with my fees. Then she said I should be ok because I was sent over by my big lender and they set their own fees when they request for their preferred agents anyway.

Due to market saturation, people are desperate and taking crazy low fees old and new notaries.

I agree with you! One time one company tried that with me. I wasn’t my problem. I felt the request was absurd so I ignored the email. Then they kept asking for it and was mad at me and said other notaries have done that for them many times before with no problem. I then called and ask to speak to the woman in charge and we both agreed that their request was not appropriate. I told the lady that they put those notaries at risk of getting their commission revoked, fined, or jail time for breaking the law by notarizing a back dated doc and without the client appearing in front of a notary. This was before the electronic and RON era. I also offered to meet the client again to get that one signature and notarize for a fee. I believe they stopped asking notaries to break the lawl since then.

1 Like

I’m annoyed by the 3 days later admonition that I missed a Signature. After looking at their original package, it was never in there to begin with!!! I respond with the facts and they don’t care, they just want me to fix it for free because it was still “my error.” I find that Title companies (or lenders) NEED someone else to blame other than themselves. In order to maintain relationships though, I squeezed the client in during my travel time to another appointment in order for me to exert no effort or go out of my way.

3 Likes

If you missed the signature on the original doc …
u go back and get it resigned and notarized
The doc title sent is a copy of what they say was missed.
This document had to be in the original package in order for you to notarize it.
Did u miss it?
If so .you go back and get it redone
If it wasnt in the original package
And YOU DID NOT MISS notarizing it
There is a fee to go back and do it
No fee if you missed it the first rime

2 Likes

Did you charge an extra fee?

Many thanks to everyone for your advice.

I proceeded with VIPnotaryCo and Arichter advice and treated it as another signing.

Like Arichter stated, “Their error; they pay!” This was an error on their part for not including the document in the original closing documents. I also did not appreciate how they tried to insert an electronic signature on the document and asked me the “NOTARIZE” it.

Of course, I explained since I did not witness the signature, I could not notarize the document.

Nonetheless, my fee was $5 for notary fee/stamp per my state and I charged a $100 travel fee, scan fee. I just made up a fee to fit. I could not have asked for a better outcome! I sent them my invoice, and I received payment within 5 days!! I’ve never been paid that quickly by a Signing Service.

I am pleased to share that I spoke with title, and she asked me to send over my certifications, and I am now a Preferred Notary as she was so pleased with my urgency in obtaining that notarization for her on the same day.

This was a FANTASTIC learning experience! and now I have another DIRECT under my belt!! I’ve already have another signing from them. AWESOME!!! :blush:

5 Likes

Congratulations! I love hearing this kind of success story. :grin:. I’m so happy for you. :clap::raised_hands::+1:. Keep it up. Being professional and proactive is key in this business.

1 Like

That is awesome! Great job in standing firm.

2 Likes

Remember the goal is to be a Preferred Notary for lenders, loan officers, and escrow officers. If you can get that, you’ll be all set. Otherwise, it’s a roller coaster.

No extra fee. I did it out of courtesy and on my time-line without going out of my way.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.