But so are fees
I dont take lo ball fees
But man… somebody is taking anything and they are offering serious lo ball fees
Re fi 200+ pg w scan back 3 hour r/t $85
I get $175-200
But
Those jobs are getting filled…

1 Like

On the money!! (No pun intended :blush:)

I keep reading how many people get $150-$200 for routine refi’s and often negotiate to get paid even more. Maybe it’s because I’m in a HIGHLY competitive region and because if I don’t accept an offer without even looking at it (otherwise it gets snapped up by another notary), I have to take what I can get. It’s crazy.

That being said, I couldn’t care less about the lowball offers that pass by because there is always someone who will take them. I suspect they lose money on them, too. So what! Whilst they labor away on $70 refi’s, they’re out of my way so I can bid the better jobs. Who the heck cares if some sucker notary spends 1 1/2 hours on the road, burns 4 gallons of $7 gas, prints 400 pages and gets a few measly bucks for it? Those folks will go broke soon enough and I’m all for less competition. Let 'em go work at Amazon or FedEx.

I know, I know, y’all will say that lowballers will take the offer pricing down for all of us. I say, not so! In my experience, the good SS continue to offer me traditional pricing that I have been accepting for the past year or so. My work stands on its own so I feel I have earned the respect and fees I get from those SS.

Look, we’re not going to change the minds of every newbie and bottom-feeder that is in this business. Better quit complaining and do the job. That’s how I see it, anyway. No offense intended to anyone :grinning:

4 Likes

Today, XWZ Title company called me, they say an experienced Notary with more than 8000 signings under his belt offer his services, for a Refi they usually pay me the basic $150.00 flat rate, but the “experienced” Notary is willing to do that kind of signings for a base fee of $90.00 so if I want to keep doing business with them I have to reduce my fee to match the new arrival Notary, any comments?

It’s the same line they use on all of us to try to get us to reduce our rates! I just tell them I will take my chances of not getting orders and ask them to leave my rates as is! That’s why my rate is still at $210 for a simple hybrid refi. There it is, no loyalty in this business!

1 Like

What are YOU inclined to do? You have not offered any ideas but you ask for ours. Alas, I would do the following:

1. Stand your ground or take a slight dip in your fee
  2. Split the difference with the title company and take $125
  3. Rely on your past experience with the title company and negotiate
  4. Nicely tell them to [effectively] pound sand

Thanks Bobby, you read my mind, I told them my minimum will be $ 125.00 if the signings are not too far, if they are we’ll negotiate, if not, they can use the “experienced” cheap notary…

Unfortunately, “business is business”.

“Loyal to Notaries they are not”

1 Like

I was scrolling through the posts and I must say that some responses just do not make sense. Even experienced notaries who have been in the business for years have difficulty getting signings from Snapdocs. So who is left? If it wasn’t for The Closing Exchange and their $65 fee, I would not have been able to get my foot in the door. ServiceLink requires a minimum of 6 months and 50 signings. So for the first 50 signing and first 6 months they are not an option. Snapdocs gives no chance. My thought is, who exactly are we supposed to negotiate with? Right? It sucks that vet notaries are facing the competition, but it’s like that with IT etc etc. This is what it is.
When I started 6 months ago my family member told me to negotiate. I have half a second to accept a signing, and I am supposed to negotiate? It looks to me like those days are over. At least for the busy metropolitan cities.
Unless I don’t know, and there are dozens of signing companies that take in new notaries, then I don’t see a possibility to negotiate.
Thank you for your input. I 100% agree.

1 Like

Yeah, this a screwy business alright. I, too, am flummoxed (I’ve been waiting to drop that word for a while) by the negotiate advice that is offered on this site. Oh, I’ve negotiated a few where even the SS said, “Yeah, you’re right, this one is kinda tough.” and I got maybe $15-$25 more. I suspect where one’s service area is makes a difference. One can negotiate if there is weather/travel issues involved. Maybe the size and nature of the assignment may be cause for a second look.

All I know is 90% of the assignments I am lucky enough to get all look the same. 150 pages, 12 notarizations, typically 10 miles one way, enough time to properly prep, 3 out of 5 are scanbacks (ugh), and I get paid in 30-45 days. Not the worst thing that could happen. I really do like 5 or 6 of my SS because they treat me well and give the benefit of the doubt, as it were.

My advice is to foster a relationship with the SS that give you solid work and communicate with them, but don’t bug them. You’ll soon see more work come your way. Except that we’re about to enter the tunnel of doom where there won’t be many refi’s and assignments will be hard to come by. I guess my advice is, sadly, too late :pensive:

1 Like

Bobby, even fostering a relationship With SS who gives you solid work, if another Notary shows up offering his work for pennies SS’s are greedy too, they get him the job because they paying half the fees usually paid to regular notaries VIPnotaryCO is right when she states “Loyal to Notaries they are not”.

1 Like

@palinotary90272, @Bobby-CA is right the best thing that you can do for yourself is to get three companies / SS that gives you regular business and treat them with golden gloves. I was fortunate enough when I got started to get a lot of signings from Singing order. I assume that have been favored by 5 companies because unless I reply not available I get every assignment that they post. In February I was doing pretty steady work with Service Link then I got hooked up with Title 365. So between the three companies, I am busy with one to two and occasionally three orders every day. I am new also… Dec 16th was my first assignment.

1 Like

Thank you. How were you able to sign up with Title 365? They keep telling me that minimum of 2 years experience is required. I followed up earlier today and got the same response.

II guess it may be that I have 18 years Financial Industry experience/ 4 years GNW / 4 years as a Real Estate Assistant Experience (preparing, printing and presenting loan packages) 4 months now LSA. I now have 84 closings under my belt. I assume they accepted me because of all that combined. Plus the reference I gave them were from title companies that I recently did closings for and was given good feedback.

I would understand if I didn’t have experience, but I have been a leasing agent for 20 years, have a university degree in real estate, will be taking my CA browner exam this year, manage over 20 commercial and residential properties , etc.
If they bend their rules, then they should definitely consider my application.
I can only work weekends and after 6pm as a notary and thanks to the ss I work with was able to get 60 signings completed. Snapdocs is impossible to get in with, so I won’t even count on them.
Hopefully my application can be reconsidered. Seems only fair.
Thank you!

I was surprised to be honest with you when I was accepted. The only thing you can do it try and see if they will accept with your background I guess. The only thing they can do is say no. But if they say yes… I am thrilled with them. They keep me busy and they always get documents way ahead of time and pay super quick.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, but you missed an initial on 3rd of 5 pages of the privacy disclosure which exempts you from EVER doing a signing ever, ever again. Do not pass GO, do not collect your $200. No Get Out of Jail Free card for you!

1 Like

Sorry I didn’t understand.

I think you definitely got lucky. I was given a no exception response, so will have to wait.
Anyway, it’s slowing down. Focusing on my broker license now.
Love being a notary though.

1 Like

The state is very important and should be posted along with the response. NC has a cap of $5 per signature and some of the services will pay for travel. The bottom line is the servicers also have to remain in compliance. Those that are able to command higher fees, that is great. Those that cannot, create your business plan, keep pounding, understand your mission statement, set your goal, and continue to strive for success. Best wishes!