Things are not looking good out there people. I am officially sad. šŸ˜¢

NSA business is very attractive to those who are looking for total freedom to set their own personal financial goals. Seems like every day more and more people are getting on the bandwagon.

I just received another email from people looking to get into this loan signing business too:( I cried when I saw this one, it must be frightening to lose your job and may lead to losing your home:( :cry: I feel really sad because I made it look so easy and busy and thus gave the wrong impression that they can do very well in this business too:( :cry:

ā€œHello Sinath. My husband and I met you last year at our signing of your refinance documents. I was recently laid off with my employer and now I am seeking more information about the notary company you work with.
If you are able, please send me their contact information. Thank you!ā€

I donā€™t think she knows that I am an independent signing agent, trained and certified and insured. Iā€™m not a direct employee. I will do what I can to help in regard to how to get her notary commission and then how to become a NSA but getting work is up to her.

4 Likes

With all due respect for your good intentions in helping this person, quite honestly, NOW is not a good time to be encouraging anyone to get into this business. You know all the reasons this is currently on a downward trend.

23 Likes

Itā€™s been said a million times beforeā€¦LOCATION determines if this business can be used ALONE to make a living, NOT the business itself. Itā€™s mostly used as ā€œsupplementalā€ income. And even if their in one of those ā€œfortunateā€ locations, they will either get really stressed out from workload, or they donā€™t have a lot of bills to pay (not to mention if they even have the funds and favorable background check to get started).

9 Likes

:100: Percent Accurate @Arichter Also, this is not a recent trend & continues in a strong downward direction. Itā€™s sort of like the game ā€œMusical Chairsā€ . . . :cry: The trajectory certainly has no indication of a reversal. In addition, factor in the ā€œtechnologicalā€ impact of Remote Online Notarization [RON] and the resulting negative impact to our businesses.

:swan:

2 Likes

The industry has been hijacked by the ā€œyou can make six figures as a notaryā€ people. They marketed so much and used the internet to troll for people making false promises and now notaries are a dime a dozenā€¦and being treated just that way. People at title have become so hostile even to those of us who never make mistakesā€¦sad.

21 Likes

An old Carnival ā€˜barkerā€™ slogan goes like this: ā€œYou pays your money and youse takes your chancesā€. This line applies to not only the notary profession, but to construction work, automobile assembly, field workers, real estate agents and a host of others who are subject to the economy and what we all like to call ā€œthe marketā€. In other words, sometimes thereā€™s lotsa work and sometimes thereā€™s not so much work. If one decides to make the investment to get into a business that is subject to which way the wind blows (like those Iā€™ve listed), well, they takes their chances.

Certainly I feel bad for folks who cannot weather business headwinds and may suffer for it. But, I suspect too many people got into this business when they heard it paid a lot for easy work. Most quickly found out otherwise and are, or soon will be, paying a price. Every line of work has its ups and downs and notary work is not exempt. So, what to do???

This forum is full of great ideas for developing business if you are willing to use the ā€˜searchā€™ feature and dig 'em out. There are a number of notaries on here that have been notaries for years, decades even, and they survived all the economic downturns that came their way. How do they do it? Well, like any good job worth keeping, they 1) showed initiative; 2) got creative; 3) studied their craft; 4) prayed (it works for believers and I am one); and, 5) persevered.

Blah, blah, blah, some might say. No truly useful tips there. Well, let me put it this way. When the 2008/2009 financial collapse came along, I was CEO of a company that provided outsourced services to BANKS! What industry was in bigger trouble than banks?!? They were failing 10 at a time, do you remember? Using the 1-5 tools I outlined above, my company not only survived, it began to thrive again by 2011. So, ā€œGood for youā€, you might say. Do you have a better solution to offer, I would counter? Iā€™m sure there are some and Iā€™d appreciate it muchly if someone lists a few in a reply to this missive. We could all use them :wink:

The point is, everyone is subject to the changing environment. Look, even people in the military are being discharged against their will simply because they didnā€™t get the vax jab. They are losing their planned-on-and-worked-incredibly-hard-for careers. Whoā€™d-a-thunk-it? Truckers in Canada, restaurant workers all over, healthcare personnel across the nation, they all are suffering and it is totally unfair, but, thatā€™s how it is [today]. None of them have the options and opportunities that many self-employed notaries do. We are largely left alone to do our work, when we can get it. So, letā€™s dig deep in our bags of trix and find ways to persevere through the lean times.

Just my two cents worth on a slow day. :innocent:

15 Likes

Well I donā€™t charge people for advice. And I can only help when I am available. I will tell her that she may want to look at other alternatives because this business is not what she thinks but if she still wants to be a notary I will tell her to check it out on SOS website and NNA website. And let her make her own decision.

5 Likes

Well, if someone asks me, I give them the information & explain how to get started but, I am honest about how this business works, cost, the ups and downs, the good and bad and let them make their own decisions. Over this past year, I have seen signing agents come and go. Some get into for the wrong reasons & get burnt out fast trying to make six figures. By giving someone information on how to become a signing agent, I donā€™t feel threaten or feel that I am going to get less work. I base my perspective on knowing who my true source is.

3 Likes

I agree with your post. I never discourage anyone from getting into this business, as some are in it for a living, and some just like the work and love to meet people, and make a hobby out of it. Regardless of the case, our reputations dictate our competition, not the inventory of SAā€™s in our area. This business is no different than the rest: ā€œYou get what you pay for.ā€ If you accept a REFI today for an appointment a week from now, then the docs come in and you learn itā€™s a VHA/FHA/USDA (adding significant docs/time/expenses to the package), what do you do? Suck it up, or ask for more money? The first thing that comes to mind is "what would your {competitor} do, in order for you to decide? Moral of my story is, ā€œNewbiesā€ in the business are HIGHLY likable to take the low ball jobs to build their reputation and business (thatā€™s what I did, hands down). You canā€™t control notary inventory. If you donā€™t tell them, someone else will, or they will simply ā€œGoogleā€ it. But you can control your reputation! The sub par SAā€™s will eventually weed themselves out. The good ones ā€œmayā€ pass business onto you. This is why networking is key to this business (live and learn).

2 Likes

I am helping this sweet lady:) I like helping others improve their situation. Iā€™ve been very blessed and it makes me happy to help:):grin:

7 Likes

Good for you to help. Iā€™m a believer in pay it foreword. Pass the information on and let her make the decision.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve agreed to help more than just passing the info:) I want her to be successful:)

2 Likes

Awesome. Keep doing what your doing and good things will always come your way. It is actually nice to see someone willing to help instead of all the negative of why you shouldnā€™t. God Bless

4 Likes

They have. And demandingā€¦which is why I have no problem giving them their attitude right back. If they donā€™t like it, oh well!

1 Like

My god, Iā€™m glad Iā€™m not the only one seeing this. Although, I feel the behavior is more disrespectful and disregarding more than ā€œhostileā€. There is no respect for us, our time, our energy and our attempts at ensuring the signings go as smoothly as possible including nipping document mistakes early. Posting docs at the last possible minute seems to be the new norm because, as we all know, ā€œwe have absolutely nothing else going on with our dayā€ - said no LSA, ever.

4 Likes

I totally agree! With this new economy upon us, people will have to learn to fight and fish for themselves. Donā€™t be a reason an individual loses their property and place you responsible because you he/she perceived this business to be something itā€™s not. You are going to place yourself in a stressful situation. Give the individual YouTube Links and advise their are paid mentors available that will assist them but under no circumstances you provide nothing more than YouTube links and send them on their way. Donā€™t get weighed down regarding someone else life.

1 Like

Well, Iā€™m excited for her, She started her NNA online training yesterday.

3 Likes

My sister in Florida asked me how to get into the business. I gave her a play-by-play of a typical day. She has 3 kids and a demanding husband and I let her come to the realization on her own that it was more than she was willing to handle or take on. I did not sugarcoat itā€¦ I told her how it is. I gave her Youtube Videos and gave her the information to the NNA. She said that she only wanted to do it cause I made it look fun and easy and wanted me to mentor her through the process. I donā€™t know where she got that idea from. Every time she called me I was either on my way to an appointment or prepping for an appointment and had little or no time for a long conversation.

5 Likes

Funny my sister is also in Florida. She signed a sellerā€™s package with a notary. She said notary was good but she felt sorry for the lady. Signing was scheduled for 10am, lady called and said no docs and asked to change time to 4pm. My sister said she was every experienced and quick but said the poor lady was practically in a panic, she arrived 1 hour late, blamed traffic, closing only took 20-30 mins. But she was in such a rush and frantic that she ran out to her car WITHOUT her KEYS, then she rushed to scan and FedEx package but she FORGOT her SUNGLASSES. She said the lady seemed very stressed trying to meet a deadline, etc.
My sister called me after closing and said,
ā€œI donā€™t want your job! No thanks! Too much stress! I love my peaceful life!ā€ :joy::joy::joy::joy:

6 Likes

Not true. It is false. Newbies are told to take low ball offers so they can get experience. When they get experience they will get more pay. Not true. Not true. Not true. When newbies get more experience there will be more newbies taking the low ball offers. That false narrative has been around for years. Experience does not get you higher rates.

9 Likes